Forscan PATS key programming - 2010 Expedition

I have a buddy that needs a spare key for his Expedition, his wife keeps losing it. He bought two new cheap ones off Ebay and had them cut for a few bucks, wants to see if I can program them.

I downloaded Forscan and discovered my china clone MDI (VCX Nano) is recognized and seems to play well with Forscan, though I don't own a Ford to officially test it. But I get past the connected to J2534 device successfully and then obviously "can't detect vehicle" since there's no vehicle connected.

What I'm reading is the procedure involves clearing all registered keys and that you must have two keys to program into the system. The one key he has is an official Ford key, but I'm worried the Ebay keys might just be for cloning? When I had my scan tool hooked up, the aftermarket keys show a unique ID for each and I can program the FOB portion (unlock/trunk/etc. buttons) of the key with just my scan tool. I just need to get past the transponder programming using Forscan.

Any concerns? I don't want to leave the guy stranded at my house looking for a dealer.

I don't trust aftermarket chip keys
I would've gone Strattec (OEM)
Ilco I suppose would also be acceptable 🙄
Can we get the listing of what he bought?

Is it just a bare key, or an IKT? Or a Push start?
I also believe you can add keys with FORScan, without having to erase all
I wouldn't feel comfortable erasing all without two new quality keys cut and ready

I used my setup on a 04 Excursion and used Rotunda (factory Stratec) keys and they would not program with ForScan or an IDS. Thankfully I did the procedure where you just add and my friend found another programmed key in the glovebox, so crisis averted.

Also, ForScan cannot access the BCM in my truck to get the keyless entry code. I still need to try it with an IDS.

I used ForScan to add a second key fob key to my 2015 F-250. I did not erase any keys.

I strongly recommend having a locksmith cut the key. Hardware store likely have key cutting machine that have never been recalibrated since the machine was bought. A good locksmith will recalibrate his key cutting machines every 6 months. Ask me how I know?

Is it just a bare key, or an IKT? Or a Push start?
I also believe you can add keys with FORScan, without having to erase all
I wouldn't feel comfortable erasing all without two new quality keys cut and ready
Thank you for replying, I will definitely give the add-a-key through Forscan a go, I remember reading something about this. This will be a learning experience for sure. My scan tool (Launch X431) showed only two existing keys programmed (one obviously lost) with room for two more.

I did try the newly cut keys (hardware store cut) and they work fine in the ignition, and was how I was able to determine they have unique IDs through my scan tool. But all they would do is turn on the ignition, set a code and refuse the start the vehicle. I was able to program the remote with my scan tool, but not the transponder.

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256298614558

Also, ForScan cannot access the BCM in my truck to get the keyless entry code. I still need to try it with an IDS.

I've pulled at least a half dozen keyless entry Ford door codes from various vehicles in the year I've owned my scan tool. People think I'm a magician, I need to start charging for this service.

I tried doing this with my 16 escape and was unsuccessful. with forscan. A guy at a car key shop charged me 75 bucks to bring out the sketchiest ebay obd2 device and he turned the ignition a bunch of times and it programmed fine.

Thank you for replying, I will definitely give the add-a-key through Forscan a go, I remember reading something about this. This will be a learning experience for sure. My scan tool (Launch X431) showed only two existing keys programmed (one obviously lost) with room for two more.

I did try the newly cut keys (hardware store cut) and they work fine in the ignition, and was how I was able to determine they have unique IDs through my scan tool. But all they would do is turn on the ignition, set a code and refuse the start the vehicle. I was able to program the remote with my scan tool, but not the transponder.

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256298614558

I've pulled at least a half dozen keyless entry Ford door codes from various vehicles in the year I've owned my scan tool. People think I'm a magician, I need to start charging for this service.

Have you downloaded the latest version of FORScan, and got a free 1 month extended license?

It looks like adding shouldn't be a problem, but I've only ever done on board programming with two keys already, so I'm not the best advocate

Have you downloaded the latest version of FORScan, and got a free 1 month extended license?

It looks like adding shouldn't be a problem, but I've only ever done on board programming with two keys already, so I'm not the best advocate

I think I have to sign up for the (2 month now?) free license when I attempt to get into the PATS menu with a vehicle connected.

How do you know?
I bought a chip key blank for Jeep Grand Cherokee on eBay (I think). Had a local hardware store cut the key. Did not work in my Jeep. Got a second chip key blank and brought the working key, the new blank and the one poorly cut to a locksmith. It took the locksmith about 15 minutes to stop laughing at how off the one that was poorly cut was. He cut the second blank and then I programmed it without issue.

No. A local hardware store like an ACE hardware. Unsure if ACE or just a general hardware store.
All retail key cutting is ruled by the Hillman Group’s machines and systems. Home Depot and Lowe’s has moved onto Minute Key to “foolproof” the process - despite the Axxess+ system being as zero-touch as possible. The local Aces still use an Axxess+ or manual key cutter.

The local locksmith uses a Ilco Kaba cutter for automotive, and a punch for Schlage/Kwikset tumbler locks.

All retail key cutting is ruled by the Hillman Group’s machines and systems. Home Depot and Lowe’s has moved onto Minute Key to “foolproof” the process - despite the Axxess+ system being as zero-touch as possible. The local Aces still use an Axxess+ or manual key cutter.

The local locksmith uses a Ilco Kaba cutter for automotive, and a punch for Schlage/Kwikset tumbler locks.
The locksmith that I was speaking of had 6 different key cutting machines. Not sure of what type.

I think I have to sign up for the (2 month now?) free license when I attempt to get into the PATS menu with a vehicle connected.
You need the extended license to use PATS. It's free for 2 months.

Use Forscan to see if the new keys are good. DTC B1601 = Good, B1600 = Bad. The instructions are on the website.

You need the extended license to use PATS. It's free for 2 months.

Use Forscan to see if the new keys are good. DTC B1601 = Good, B1600 = Bad. The instructions are on the website.
Some PATS lore/wisdom
1000009459.jpg

Back