If you have one car from the 60's, what would it be?

Had a 1968 Firebird 350 HO in high school. Late to a football game, passed a row of cars and one was NC Highway Patrol (440 Mopar). Needles to say none of this ended well. Ruined my Firebird. Ruined some trees across a front yard. Hurt my best friend. Strange but true, NCHP drove past and kept going. I think he figured we were dead. Must have been the end of his shift…. County PD responded. Nothing was said about evading the police. NCHP officer must have maintained radio silence. That Firebird wasn’t breathing good until 110 mph…. I’m with you, I wish I could recreate that 1968 Firebird 350HO.
My story isn't as interesting. Glad you came out of that OK. I was 17, my brother who owned it was in the Air Force and left it behind. He finally let me have it after he bought a mint 69 Camaro in Modesto California. I drove it for a few years (until i was 22 in 1992) when i wanted something "newer" and sold it to a work buddy for dirt cheap. I ended up buying a................Toyota Paseo. Yes, you read that correctly.

Anyway, mine looked like this, just not in as good condition. Mine had had rust under the vinyl top in the C-Pillar.....

1703176299869.png

1703176355248.png

Last edited:
And in generic form the 327 was pretty laggard. I'm not quite old enough, was that a Chevy thing or built?
A friend did put a factory 327/350 HP in a Nova - fast in a straight line - but never felt like the frame/suspension handled the power well …

A friend did put a factory 327/350 HP in a Nova - fast in a straight line - but never felt like the frame/suspension handled the power well …
Typical handling of most iron in the day.

I never encountered a 327HO, just my sleepy kid existence (b 1958). Each and every 327 was a underwhelming dog. But we are talking about mom station wagons and such. Those same wagons went 350 in the later 1960's shortly after and yeah still heavy, but seemed like they put out a lot more than those additional 23 cu in would indicate.

I never encountered a 327HO, just my sleepy kid existence (b 1958). Each and every 327 was a underwhelming dog. But we are talking about mom station wagons and such. Those same wagons went 350 in the later 1960's shortly after and yeah still heavy, but seemed like they put out a lot more than those additional 23 cu in would indicate.
Many of the 327’s had 2B carbs - Lots of 350’s had 4B carbs …

Many of the 327’s had 2B carbs - Lots of 350’s had 4B carbs …
True dat. The HO ones had 4 BBL and some were even FI. They put down respectable power, I was just not seeing them as a kiddo

None were as bad as the 307!

Anyway, I think all the 327's are 2 bolt, (350 2 and 4) same stroke, 350 was just larger bore naturally. So revved about the same but more volume/power.

Guy I went to school with, his Dad gave him a 1967 Camaro with the 327 and powerglide trans. That thing was a dog also. Beautiful car body shape & interior wise though.

Guy I went to school with, his Dad gave him a 1967 Camaro with the 327 and powerglide trans. That thing was a dog also. Beautiful car body shape & interior wise though.
Yes. That 2 speed trans and highway gear wasn’t much for off the line performance. It would drop into low gear at 60 mph for passing gear and accelerated hard though. Really was a poor combination for the “muscle car” image that this platform was intended to portray. The 327 with small valve heads, nothing cam, and two barrel carb was a waste of a strong engine. 4 inch bore and 3.25 stroke was a naturally higher strung engine when configured correctly. The big valve, bigger cam, and 4 barrel 300 horsepower 327 on the other hand was strong. It idled smoothly, got decent economy (quadrajet), and powered many different Chevy vehicles.

Back