If money wasn't a concern... Oil, Filter, OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
delo and a basic jobber filter.
why? because im cheap
grin.gif

If money was not a concern?

I suppose the whole "it depends" answer applies here. Because if you're going to be holistically theoretical, why not just go all out?

I'd own several rides, most of which I'd just run house-brand lube and a Wix or TG for around 10k miles (pretty much what I do now).

But perhaps I'd have one outrageously expensive car, and then run only one life-time OCI with the cheapest oil/filter I could find, only topping off oil, until the thing died, just to see how many BITOGers would cringe at the carnage.

Last edited:
At the level of an oil change - money is not a concern. So I would use what I use now which is Mobil 1 and Fram Ultras.

Now If money really wasn’t a concern at all, I would just trade my Veryon on a new one every time it was up for a change.

I'd keep doing the same thing- BMW oil and OEM filters in the BMWs and Mini, 10W-30 Pennzoil Ultra and M1 filter in the Jeep.
I follow the OLM on the M235i and the 328i- everything else gets changed annually.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I'd run a Euro-spec oil, Fram Ultra/Donaldson Blue filters(unless OEM uses Mann or Mahle fleece filters - JDM "upgrade" if FU or Donaldson doesn't fit) and 10/15K OCIs.

I think an ACEA A3/B3-rated oil with higher HTHS and lower NOACK will help with turbos and some engines are just plain hard on oil - Toyotas for example. dexos2 if it had to go into a GM product.

+1
smile.gif

What's to improve. Yeah sure, we could go to Motul 300V, but why, we ain't racing ...

If money was no concern then I would order the ever elusive Pennzoil Ultra Premium that is so seldom seen or can only be found on Amazon for mega bucks. Oil Filter would be any of the premium synthetic oil filters .

If money was no concern I would still run the same oil and filter I do today. If you have money and decide to spend it without thinking, you will soon have no money.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
No changes ~ don’t own anything that needs $50/gallon oil …

What about that 2017 Tahoe ? That's gotta be a sweet little ride. I'd be going Amsoil and Fram Ultra on that.

We really like it ~ been a while since we had our Yukon and these things have really become refined …
Per the book … running Dexos M1 EP 0w20 and will follow the OLM …
Is the Amsoil SS Dexos these days ?

I'd use the oil and filters I use now — Mobil 1 5W30 and Wixes/Napa Golds. I'd change both when the oil-life monitor (set up for conventional oil, according to GM Canada) suggests it, as I do now.

The car (see below) is pushing 220,000 kms/136,700 miles, doesn't burn or drip oil (never did) and gets the same mileage it did when I bought it in 2010 with ~42,000 kms/~26,000 miles on it — the best at 65 km/h or 40 mph to 80 km/h or 49 mph when it returns 45 to 47 mpg imperial. (When I switch the dash readouts to so-called English, the speedo and odometer change to miles, but the mpg is in U.S. gallons, which mean as much to me — not much — as litres per 100 kilometres.)

Would or could any other oil preserve the engine any better? I doubt it.

But if cost was really no object, I'd have a matter transmitter — with a lifetime warranty on the Heisenberg compensators — and live on Risa.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Merk why not an Amsoil EAO filter instead of the Fram Ultra?

Because if I'm not mistaken, the Amsoil filter in made by Champion Labs; the same people who make the Royal Purple filter. It's a good filter, but they don't use that metal crimp piece for the last pleat. They just glue the two ends of the last pleat together.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I would also do Oil Changes like I seen a Toyota Dealership do on a LF-A in a YouTube video... they dumped the oil, poured in New Mobil 1, idled the engine for a few mins, and dumped the oil again before refilling with more fresh oil (consider it a flush if you will)

One of the tech's even collected the "flush" Mobil 1 into a jug to use for himself I assume. Hahahah.

I've seen that video - LFAs do have dry-sump lubrication, looks like the oil tank was drained and filled, engine run to cycle fresh oil in and another drain/fill.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3138864

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back