If money wasn't a concern... Oil, Filter, OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the OP was saying if money was no option in life (like having the fancy car and letting the dealer put whatever in it), but more like "if you did not have to worry about paying for oil and a filter, what would you use", or at least that is how I took it.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I already use good oils and filters, I wouldn't change much. I buy all my oil on clearance, usually $1 per quart or less.

If I didn't have confidence in what I'm using, I wouldn't be using it.

I was going to say basically the same thing.

I consider the oil I put in my oil as value oil, because I got it for so cheap.
Is Mobil 1 EP a value oil? At $2 a qt it is.

I like a good bargain, no matter how much money I have.

If somebody was going to give me an oil change and I could pick anything, I would say Redline Oil and an Amsoil EA Oil filter.
Why, because I would never pay that much for oil and a filter, and they are both supposed to be really good. The OCI would depend on the vehicle and driving style.

1994 Honda VT1100C: Peak 15w-40, Tough Guard, 3k mile OCI

2002 Ford F150: Havoline HM 5w-20, Ecogard Filter, 5k OCI

2012 Scion xB: QSUD 0w-20, Car Quest Blue (Wix) Filter, 5k OCI

I'd stick with what I'm running now. PU 5W30 and a Fram Ultra filter in all three of my vehicles.

I'd use the Castrol 0w40 and Mann filter in the Audi, which I usually do. The car I would upgrade if money was no object would be the Jeep. I'd probably run Maxlife full synthetic and a fram ultra every time in that case. 5000 for the car 3000 for the Jeep. As it stands that's similar to what I do...but I use blends in the Jeep sometimes and maybe a TG filter or motorcraft.

I drive an 84 Civic wagon with 450K+ miles and the Red Line 0w-30 in the oil pan might be worth more than the rest of the car except for the Michelin tires.

I consider my wife's 03 4Runner using the same oil at 165K+ just now broken in.

My new 06 Scion xBox has 132K miles and it too is just now broken in using the same oil.

I keep cars so the expense of an oil change is chump change compared to eating the depreciation.

One size fits all when buying by the case.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I drive an 84 Civic wagon with 450K+ miles and the Red Line 0w-30 in the oil pan might be worth more than the rest of the car except for the Michelin tires.

I consider my wife's 03 4Runner using the same oil at 165K+ just now broken in.

My new 06 Scion xBox has 132K miles and it too is just now broken in using the same oil.

I keep cars so the expense of an oil change is chump change compared to eating the depreciation.

One size fits all when buying by the case.

450k is pretty awesome Jack.

It's okay. The tires on my truck are worth more than the truck itself. Lol.

Last edited:
Last edited:
WRT OCIs, money isn't an issue, since I'm stocked up for sub ten buck oil changes using either M1 or PP with either Ultra or M1 oil filters for the next few years.
I see no good reason to do more frequent drains than what I'm now doing.
WRT oil and oil filter, the Ultra looks to be about as good as it gets in a full flow filter while the M1 isn't too far off that mark and I'm satisfied with M1 and PP as oils in the grades I use.
I've never done a UOA of M1 from any engine, but I have posted a few with PP, although nothing recent.

For me it would Amsoil Signature Series because it has been so good to me over the years. I would also run Bypass filtration and change out the filters yearly instead of every 2 years. Oh right, I'm gonna do that anyway.
grin2.gif

Mostly the same as I do now - I would experiment more with Amsoil products and do some UOA's out of curiosity but might not continue using them long-term.

I don't think it would change much. There aren't a bunch of products I'm looking to try but simply avoiding because of price. I might be tempted to try a Fram Ultra or a Wix XP or M1 filter or something similar, but it's not like those products are providing me huge advantages I'm not getting and wishing I could afford or something like that.

Money is of no concern for me right now as it is (in regards to oil changes that is)
I have a ton of Synthetic at $2 a quart and dump it every 3-4K just because. I could do 1k OCI and still have YEARS of oil to go thru. Hahaha.

My dream setup would be a Pre-Lube system with dual bypass filtration along with Redline Oil, ENEOS, or even Mobil 1 0w40.

I would also do Oil Changes like I seen a Toyota Dealership do on a LF-A in a YouTube video... they dumped the oil, poured in New Mobil 1, idled the engine for a few mins, and dumped the oil again before refilling with more fresh oil (consider it a flush if you will)

One of the tech's even collected the "flush" Mobil 1 into a jug to use for himself I assume. Hahahah.

Amsoil oil for the Ford and 99.
Redline for the BMW
Not sure what in the diesel, maybe OEM to be safe(still trying different oils in it)
OEM filters for the German vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back