Idemitsu supplied oil to Honda/Acura Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cp3
Fairly close to the PC 0w30 for KV and VI. No word on HTHS?

Or more to the point a similar VI at 177.
I would suspect the HTHSV is around 3.1cP but it's just an educated quess.
But our American freinds don't generally have access to PC oils but they do to the Idemitsu made Subaru 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Have we ever considered that this is just a money/marketing move?
PC oil meets the spec just fine; but they weren't willing to cut the same marketing deal Indemitsu was?

Yes I considered that but the Idemitsu oil is more expensive and so far we've learned that it has a significantly higher VI so it will be interesting to see what else a UOA or VOA reveals.
Besides for our American neighbours PC oils aren't readily available and this is the highest VI light 5W-30 available with the added benefit of meeting the Honda HTO-06 spec'.

Is that the SM or SN ? Heard the moly is now more a row boat load in the SN. Which would leave just the VI## as a advantage. Just wondering as there is not much of a slection and with prices going up as much I hate to be limited in selections. The Kendall voa is not bad.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
A VI of 200 vs 177 and an boatload of moly.

The Subaru Brand 0W-20 and 5W-30 are made by Idemitsu for both US and Canadian dealers.
It appears that the SN GF-5 oil is what is being supplied to dealers now and this apparently doesn't contain the ultra high moly levels of the SM GF-4 oil.
For those that are interested the part numbers are as follows:
Cdn Subaru 0W-20 - SC1810008 Price $80/12L case = $6.67/L
Cdn Subaru 5W-30 - SC1810009 Price $92.27/12L case = $7.69/L
US Subaru 5W-30 - SOA868V9280

The above prices are from Budds' Subaru in Oakville so they could differ with other Subaru dealers.

Hey thanks for the heads up!! So if I have to might really consider the Kendall 0-20 oil now that Honda is buying it too. oil seems to have both moly and Titanium.

OK, so I was at my Honda dealer today, and they had the black bottle syn blend and the silver bottle "ultimate full syn". Neither mentioned anything about who made them. Is it assumed they're both CoP?

Another Idemitsu made OEM oil is for Mazda USA; the Mazda 0W-20.
The part number (thanks to bdcardinal) is 0000-77-0W20-QT

The Beck/Arnley 0W-20 is also made by Idemitsu and has the same 200 VI that is common to all Idemitsu 0W-20s.

...and ironically I think the Beck/Arnley offering might be the most expensive/hardest to get at a bargain!
grin2.gif

I wouldn't call it the best, that depends on the application but it's very impressive with it's 200 VI and the SM (Cdn Honda/Acura) version has a boat load of moly. For a 20wt application I'd prefer in to M1 and Amsoil which are heavier 20wt oils, especially Amsoil.

A lighter oil especially on start-up is the Toyota 0W-20 with it's 216 VI and I would recommend that by a small margin over the Idemitsu oil for most 20wt applications.

I just got the MSDS for the Idemitsu made Subaru SN GF-5 0W-20 and 5W-30. Revision dates are May 16,2011 and Aug 30, 2011 respectively.

For the SN 0W-20 the viscosity spec's are:
KV40 ..... 44.77cSt
KV100..... 8.466cSt
V1 ...... 169

For the SN 5W-30:
KV40 ..... 61.39cSt
KV100 .... 10.49cSt
VI ...... 161

If these values are correct and are indicative of all SN GF-5 OEM Idemitsu supplied oils their are better choices to be made.

The Mitsubushi Brand 0W-20 that all NA dealers use is also made by Idemitsu. At the present time they are using the much preferred SM GF-4 version of this oil.
The one dealer I called gave me a price of $9.19/L which is about a $1.50/L higher than the Cdn Honda/Acura price.

Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel a little less nutty for having 4 cases of Honda's SM/GF-4 sitting in my basement!

No problem.
IIRC you got a super deal on this great oil?
So on the off chance you run out any time soon you can take comfort in the knowledge that there are two US sources that still carry the stuff; at least for now.

Was talking to Idemitsu USA today.
Their 0W-20 is also distributed under their own name through wholesalers such as Worldpac.com.
The Idemitsu GF-4 0W-20 part number is PCS-0W20-QT

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I wouldn't call it the best, that depends on the application but it's very impressive with it's 200 VI and the SM (Cdn Honda/Acura) version has a boat load of moly. For a 20wt application I'd prefer in to M1 and Amsoil which are heavier 20wt oils, especially Amsoil.

A lighter oil especially on start-up is the Toyota 0W-20 with it's 216 VI and I would recommend that by a small margin over the Idemitsu oil for most 20wt applications.

Mr. Caterham,

So I hope for an 07 Honda CRV used for local commute/errands you wouldn't lose sleep running Idemitsu 0W-20? I just purchased 3 changes + Honda OE filter for $27.40 USD/each. Thanks.

The bottles simply say Idemitsu 0W-20, SN, GL-5. Purchased from oilchangekits.com during their special offer of 3 change kits for the price of 2 plus free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back