Idemitsu subaru 0w20

Currently running Idemitsu in both my Altima and Rogue. Got some of the SP formulation from RockAuto with some other parts, since shipping is normally the killer. About 30 bucks from them for a 5 Qt.

I ran Zepro, Idemitsu’s premium brand, first two oil changes. Discontinued since SP came out. I have used Valvoline since then. I would like to get Idemitsu again. My only source is Amazon but the price jumps around.

It's a 16 as well. About to roll over the 100,000 mark. Used mostly Pennzoil myself for the 70,000 miles or so my wife and I have had it. 5w30 in the warmer months 0w20 in colder, change twice a year.
I have 61k 2nd owner 1st oil change I did was back in September when I got the rogue come march I’ll be ready. May just stick with 0w20 yr round

Both Subaru Canada and Subaru of America 2024 WRX Owner's Manuals still list 0W-20. Subaru being inconsistent with their oil recommendation? Never! 😁

Here is a screen cap from the relevant engine service manual.
i-rfZpCnP-M.png

We just changed the oil for the first time at 2.5k miles on our '23 Forester Wilderness. There's a night and day difference in cold start engine noise between the factory fill and the Liqui Moly Molygen 0w20 that went back in. The Molygen being significantly more quiet. Not sure if it means anything but it definitely gave me the warm and fuzzys.

I bought several quarts of the SN Idemitsu 0w20 at AA when they cleared it several years ago. I've ran it in our Mazda CX-30 without issues but I don't think it's any better or worse than the other brands I've run in the Mazda. Those would be Mobil 1 AFE, PP, QSUD and a run of Citgo synthetic when my daughter was away from home and had her oil changed at Meinke.

I've read that the typical Japanese buy a new car every 2 to 3 years because of the strict laws on inspections. This would probably account for the low mileage Japanese sourced engines available in the USA. I've wondered if Japanese sourced oils are somehow designed with this in mind (not designed for long term reliability). Probably not but it's just a thought I had. One thing I know for sure...if I was buying a new car every 2 or 3 years I wouldn't be doing short OCIs....

Last edited:
Back