22 and newer Nissan Frontiers

Who else has a 22 or newer Nissan Frontier and what oil are you running in the VQ38? I am nervous running the “recommended” 0w20.

IMG_5854.jpeg

If the truck is under warranty stick with the OEM required oil. I seriously doubt running that engine on 0W20 is going to damage the engine. After the warranty expires use whatever weight you want.

And check that they installed the AC lines coming out of the compressor correctly. Friend of mine has had a 2022 and 2023 (Totalled the first one) where they were rubbing each other and rubbed through.

I know everybody likes to debate the integrity of recommendations coming from foreign nations that differ from USA recommendations but since you're in Texas you might be happy to know that the Mexican Nissan manual allows for a wide variety of viscosity grades in the Nissan Frontier. 0W-20 is the fail-safe recommendation but numerous other grades are also acceptable. (manual reference from a 2023 Nissan Frontier)

1710638879001.jpg

If the truck is under warranty stick with the OEM required oil. I seriously doubt running that engine on 0W20 is going to damage the engine. After the warranty expires use whatever weight you want.
I have the 100,000 mile extended power train warranty. What 0w20 seems to have the most robust add pack?

I know everybody likes to debate the integrity of recommendations coming from foreign nations that differ from USA recommendations but since you're in Texas you might be happy to know that the Mexican Nissan manual allows for a wide variety of viscosity grades in the Nissan Frontier. 0W-20 is the fail-safe recommendation but numerous other grades are also acceptable. (manual reference from a 2023 Nissan Frontier)

View attachment 208767
But my USA Nissan warranty would be voided if i had an engine failure and the dealership determined I used a 0w30 lol. This is great information knowing this engine can run on this wide variety of grades!

But my USA Nissan warranty would be voided if i had an engine failure and the dealership determined I used a 0w30 lol. This is great information knowing this engine can run on this wide variety of grades!
I don't know if it would. Your owner's manual specifically states to select a viscosity grade based on the temperature in which the vehicle will be operated in before the next oil change. To me, the statement "select a viscosity" means more than just to use 0W-20 in all applications.

But, if you're intent on 0W-20 then it's a mute point.

2023 Frontier manual reference:

1710660796708.jpg

a good 5w-30 would be fine according to the chart,,if Texas gets colder than -22f then use lower viscosity,, any popular name brand synthetic oil , Vavoline EP,Pennzoil Platinium,Castrol Edge etc, and you will be fine,also a good fram ultra,wix xp filter,,or OEM,, around 5-7k,,,intervals.

View attachment 208767
Yep, going by that chart, Euro 5w-40 would be going in mine.

Nice looking Frontier. I like the tactical green.

My 2022 is a crew cab S-model 4x4.

I did a couple rounds of 0w20 after I bought it, then switched to 5w30. I'm currently at 36k miles.
q70Gd5Y.jpeg
Have you had any problems with your truck so far?

Who else has a 22 or newer Nissan Frontier and what oil are you running in the VQ38? I am nervous running the “recommended” 0w20.

View attachment 208711
That's Texas with those bare trees in the photo background? How long do they remain bare there?

Any oil grade from 0w20 to 5w30 (summer) would serve you well. However, be aware that robust add-packs with todays SP / GF6a oils doesn't always translate to the best oils one can buy at the nearest Walmart.

In the last 4-5 years, GTL Base Oils have gained popularity and being used more by the oil producers/bottlers. When that happens, you will see weaker add-packs - as the base oil has now become more robust and more cleaner.

If you read both GTL and robust add-pack on the jug label and oil specs PDF pages, that means you are no longer paying Walmart pricing for oils. It means you are looking at boutique oils like Red Line, Amsoil, HPL.......etc.

I'm headed in that direction. Amsoil for the Kia and eventually HPL for my Hyundai.

That's Texas with those bare trees in the photo background? How long do they remain bare there?

Any oil grade from 0w20 to 5w30 (summer) would serve you well. However, be aware that robust add-packs with todays SP / GF6a oils doesn't always translate to the best oils one can buy at the nearest Walmart.

In the last 4-5 years, GTL Base Oils have gained popularity and being used more by the oil producers/bottlers. When that happens, you will see weaker add-packs - as the base oil has now become more robust and more cleaner.

If you read both GTL and robust add-pack on the jug label and oil specs PDF pages, that means you are no longer paying Walmart pricing for oils. It means you are looking at boutique oils like Red Line, Amsoil, HPL.......etc.

I'm headed in that direction. Amsoil for the Kia and eventually HPL for my Hyundai.
Yes, we live 30 miles south of Dallas. The trees are bare from mid December to late March.
In your opinion, is the Red Line/Amsoil worth the extra cost?

Yes, we live 30 miles south of Dallas. The trees are bare from mid December to late March.
In your opinion, is the Red Line/Amsoil worth the extra cost?
Had you owned the new three cylinder Nissan Rogue, I'd say yes. That engine clatters more than our Kia.

I use top-tier oils because of these S. Korean engines that grenade prematurely. That's the only reason.
Odds are, if your engine is relatively quiet with a repectable history dating back a few years, Walmart will serve you well.

I suggest Walmart.com (free deliveries with $35 spent). They will deliver oil filters too. Keep receipts - date them with mileage.
If you insist that I (the lousy backyard mechanic) recommend an oil brand from Walmart, then Mobil-1 EP Triple Action would be my pick. It's very good nowadays and has GTL. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would be another good GTL. Only sold online here.

Just be aware that GTL oils may not have your engine last longer than Group II+ / Group III syn oils. There are so many factors in deciding length of service. People live to be over 100 years-old eating McDonalds and very rich people that eat Filet Mignon-type foods and filtered water only live to see 75.
Go Figure!

Last edited:
I own a 2023 Pro-4x in Baja Pearl. I'm at about 6800 miles running Mobil EP 0w20.

If you've got the engine surge to 5k-6k RPM in cruise control, there is a TSB out now to fix it. That was my only issue with the truck. It runs great now.

Back