I was let go from my job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been retired since I was 58, I'm now 72.

I could go to work tomorrow morning if I wished to do so.

Plenty of jobs here in No. Indiana.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Check out Job # 2652489 in greater Palm Beach, FL
$21 an hour internship, $26 when hired full-time with benefits. Must attend training in Milwaukee, WI then back to FL to work. Willing to float in region and be on call after hours for telemetry / patient monitoring servers / central station tech support.

$10,000 yearly tuition reimbursement and paid training. Associates degree in IT or electronics necessay. Military training counts as relevant training and no degree necessay. Come join the world leader in healthcare technology.

2 more openings in Palm Coast FL in near future.

That pay stinks..considering how much you will be doing.
I wonder what the chances for advancement are, I bet not great.
So many marginal jobs today....

$26 an hour plus OT and tuition reimbursement for an entry level job is considered bad for associates degree ?

You won't drive a new BMW or Benz on that salary but that's just starting pay. You can do field service and specialize in many different fields (I worked on everything for open heart and Cath / EP lab equipment) base pay + OT was always over $100K, here in Florida we have no state income tax so I benefited even more.

Basically I could have branched out into other areas such as... IT, diagnostic imaging, sales, quality & compliance, auditor, etc.... I now manage hospital service contracts and make sure we collect every penny we are contractually owed.

It's a big company with lots of opportunities and benefits, tons of career avenues to pursue. I'm glad to work 30 years for same company and have an amazing retirement package, 2 pensions, tons of company stock, company car, company paid training / travel. I've never punched a time clock and rarely saw my boss, you are left to run your business with low stress and no worries. This is the other side of healthcare nobody thinks about.

$50k is nothing to sneeze at. Join the hoards of folks from Buffalo to Florida.

Its funny I vacation there and visit no less than 5-6 people each time I go. Do not know Palm Beach area, but the gulf coast area is full of folks from Buffalo.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What do you do for a living?

Now retired.

Being retired is the best job to have now days...I'll will join the ranks in 4 years and I can't wait!

I'm not the least bit sorry I don't work anymore. The workplace environment has changed drastically over the past several decades and solely for the worse. Only the top executives do well and do so at the expense of every employee beneath themselves.

Truer words have never been written..........

Originally Posted By: JustinH
sounds like you should move down south and take your experience somewhere else. Everybody is looking for an exit strategy from the Northeast and you just got yours.

Everything else aside, really? I have zero desire to live in the south. I quite enjoy living in the northeast. Specifically New York. Let's just say with the exception of a few cities like Austin, the south doesn't align with my ideologies.

I moved back to NY from Ohio, because I hated living in Ohio.

Is that "the" Nick? I get easily confused with too many Nicks that we have on BITOG. There is (was?) an epic one who used to buy new car every six month and then there was another Nick who was a big executive at Comcast and then there is a Nick who has the same 1999 Camry as I do.

Which one is you?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is that "the" Nick? I get easily confused with too many Nicks that we have on BITOG. There is (was?) an epic one who used to buy new car every six month and then there was another Nick who was a big executive at Comcast and then there is a Nick who has the same 1999 Camry as I do.

Which one is you?
I (Nick1994) am the Camry Nick lol. Used to have a 1997 Camry, now a 2000

Now retired.

Being retired is the best job to have now days...I'll will join the ranks in 4 years and I can't wait!

I don't want to retire, I love my job!

Redhat,

Politics happens a lot more than we want to believe, a lot of the time people got fired and replaced because the "leadership change" and they want to bring in their own people, or cut down the influence of the legacy corporate culture. Sometimes they do it when finance is involved, but sometimes it is just their own agenda.

My former boss was forced out during the last recession because a project cancellation, and the VP that cancelled the project was fired after a few months because that was a project that shouldn't have been cancelled. They resurrected the project but didn't hire my former boss back, probably worried that he may hold grudges over the firing.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

Now retired.

I don't want to retire, I love my job!

That's what those say who don't know how good retirement is......
Personally, we have a finite number of days on this planet,I don't know why anyone (unless it's out of necessity) who would want to stay on the job one day longer than needed. Some believe (falsely) that somehow it prolongs your life to stay on the job longer. While there is some evidence a active mind will help as the years pile on-there ARE PLENTY of ways to do this in retirement.

I retired at 56.

Last edited:
Quite a few men have emotional/psychological problems with retirement that they are not prepared for, even when they are financially secure. I know this must seem impossible for those that work in a dreaded career. Here is one good description copied off the net:

"In effect, a large part of their identities were job-related. They defined themselves by what they did, not who they were as people. So for them retirement represented a subconscious loss of their sense of self."

My brother, an electrical engineer, went back to work after the company he worked at gave him an attractive early retirement package. He said to me, "one can only do so much fishing, gardening, and community service....... he is very happy working.

google "retirement adjustment difficulties". It's quite startling. I've taken one retirement workshop (plan to do more) offered by my HR department. It was enlightening. I've got my financial matters in order (Will, etc.) and now hope to cruise into retirement and enjoy the ride (cognizant that bumps can arise out of nowhere).

Regarding the Op's situation, I wonder if our abandonment of the Union system is coming back to haunt some
27.gif

If your identity is defined by your job/career, then IMHO you don't have a well - rounded life.

Agreed. That's why many men have difficulty retiring! Their entire life has revolved around getting up to go to work for 40+ years. All of a sudden, that stops. Retirement difficulties also arise for many because of that "man card" principle, IMO.

My mom went to work when my dad retired and at home 24/7
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
If your identity is defined by your job/career, then IMHO you don't have a well - rounded life.

Yep. A job is just a paycheck with benefits... nothing more.

Retirement is great for those who can afford to retire.
You betcha, I just turned 65. I have the best job I've ever had. Its fun and the only problem I have is my immediate boss is a stickler for company policy. I report to him but work with another guy who creates the papers that I push. Sooner or later my boss will try to fire me for something stupid . Then I will retire.
grin2.gif

Yep. A job is just a paycheck with benefits... nothing more.

It can be more if you leverage what your employer has to offer vs something you can come up with yourself. The balance is putting *so much* of yourself in you have nothing left. But it's cool being engaged in your work.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
He said to me, "one can only do so much fishing, gardening, and community service...

I've been retired almost a year, turning 57 next week, and don't feel like I'll ever be able to do too much of this type stuff. In fact, I've been doing more actual real hard, physical labor stuff around the house and with my vehicles than ever before. I'm catching up on alot of things I simply didn't have time for before. Haven't even started the typical retiree recreational things like travel and just kicking back to enjoy life yet. Maybe this is my "recreation?"

IMHO, there's alot to be said for early retirement, and I seriously doubt I'm any exception to the rule, generally speaking.

That's what those say who don't know how good retirement is......Personally, we have a finite number of days on this planet,I don't know why anyone (unless it's out of necessity) who would want to stay on the job one day longer than needed. Some believe (falsely) that somehow it prolongs your life to stay on the job longer. While there is some evidence a active mind will help as the years pile on-there ARE PLENTY of ways to do this in retirement.

I retired at 56.

I'm doing what I've wanted since I was 7 years old. It has its days where it sucks just like any other job. But at the end of the day I wouldn't want to do anything else. We're financially set, my wife only has to work to keep busy and I have a great retirement set up.

I've worked very hard to get this far and I'm going to enjoy it for now.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back