I should have been a meteorologist.

I like the name of a book a local Meteorologist wrote many years ago in Cleveland Ohio. He was **** Goddard... The title was Six inches of partly cloudy.... :ROFLMAO:

Even back in the 70’s despite all the technology that was current to the fleet the bridge tuned in to Peggy Dyson on the SSB. She would broadcast from her home the weather and warnings like clockwork twice a day. We got the NWS facsimile on the schedule but Peggy had a better grasp of what was about to happen. In Alaskan waters the weather is the overriding force.

She never used the term bomb or vortex or any of that.

Good question…

I haven’t been tracking those storms really enough to know.

On the East coast it happens because a upper level low in the jet stream sometimes catches up to a developing surface low pressure off the southeast US coast. This induces rapid deepening aka strengthening of the surface low pressure center which causes much stronger lift in the atmosphere which in turn causes much higher precipitation totals and much higher winds due to sharpening barometric pressure gradient and higher tidal flooding too. It was this phenomenon is why say Superstorm Sandy got so strong as it approached landfall.

The NWS offices of Wakefield Va, Raleigh NC, Sterling Va, and Philadelphia Mt Holly offices all have that added factor that makes forecasting even much more difficult vs NWS offices farther northward like NY, Albany NY, Norton Mass, Portland Maine. Typically those offices typically already have a known quantity approaching their forecast areas.

Which is a reason why the January 2018 East coast storm was extremely unique…

It started rapidly deepening aka “ bombing out “ in the Bahamas… Which is extremely unusual. I have never ever seen a storm get that strong that far southward. The closest analogous storm than I know of was the December 1989 snowstorm that hit the Georgia, SC and NC coastline areas. That storm hit Wilmington NC with 14-18 inches of snow, Isle of Palm SC with 4-5 inches of snow and Cape Hatteras with 12-15 inches of snow. I remember how super windy it was in my area with windchills at the time called for down to -20 to -35 F. That storm did not move poleward it moved East northeast out to sea.
Not sure if we discussed Superstorm Sandy but my brothers home was flooded like never before in the almost 4 decades he lived there.
He had a house on the Great South Bay part of Nassau County. The aftermath of that mid to upper income area looked like the remnants of a war zone if not quite that. If you know about snow plows, as the clean up started the entire area looked like a snowplow went down the blocks only instead of snow on the sides, it was plies high of debris and parts of homes.

Two of the three levels of his home filled with water. A large Main level Family room, utility room and garage and two feet of water on the second level which was the kitchen, dining room and living room. Only thing spared was the 3rd floor bedrooms.

In all those decades the most water that he was ever flooded previously including all hurricanes and nor easters was the main floor family, utility and garage with a foot or two of water.

Yeah, by the time storms get to the Long Island area upstate NY, CT, Mass, Maine know what to expect, one in a great while some exception, I think one year for Maine but grabbing as straws on my first cup of coffee.

Where we live now in SC we are high and dry at 300+ feet above seal level, never a fear of a hurricane or tornado. Heck in our particular area its hard to get a good strong Thunderstorm. Something that might interest someone like you, in 16 years, because I love thunderstorms I have watched countless big thunderstorms heading for a direct hit on the radar only too, at the last moment almost seem to split in half where the big part goes north and south of us while heading east. Really weird, could never figure out why except to think something with the effect of Lake Murray because many of those storms would come out of the Augusta area of GA but then near us would cross over our 41 mile long lake. Oh well...

Once in a while there will be a rare tornado that doesnt last very long in counties around here but except for a recent strong one that tore apart a school a few years back most are EF1, nothing like you see in other states.
Ironically in maybe less than two months we will be moving into our new home within a stones throw of the NC coast! From 300 ft above sea level to less than 30 ft/ ;)

Last edited:
I think it's near impossible to accurately forecast here in western Washington. There are so many micro climates that while it may snowing in one town,a few miles away it's mid 50's and clear sky.

Just use this generic forecast and you can't go wrong:D

"Clear, partly cloudy, to cloudy. Chance of rain"

I like the name of a book a local Meteorologist wrote many years ago in Cleveland Ohio. He was **** Goddard... The title was Six inches of partly cloudy.... :ROFLMAO:
I met him twice..A true legend in the Cleveland area and beyond....(y)

I met him twice..A true legend in the Cleveland area and beyond....(y)
He was the main reason I got interested in weather back in the 4th grade....I went to his TV station...WJW 8...a few times to see him... He had the wooly worm festival each year too...

Wow I guess that **** is a no no...OK then Richard...How is that... :D

He was the main reason I got interested in weather back in the 4th grade....I went to his TV station...WJW 8...a few times to see him... He had the wooly worm festival each year too...
His real passion was looking out for the proper treatment of our "four foots".

Reactions: hrv
Back