I really do not want to play Fallout 4 without game mods but....

The plot thickens, finally we seem to be getting more info.
Key discussion at 7:00.

I confess I am a bit worried, I cant imgine playing Fallout 4 without mods and I dont know anybody who would.
But thats just the worst case.
Best case is minimal impact.

Last edited:
So game cheats are now mandatory?
I remember my nephew coming up with one for Duke Nukem! 😊
In a single player game I dont think of mods as cheats. :)

Many mods are not just about giving you extra stuff or abilities, but the most popular mods seem to have new quests or extra world spaces.
The Xander's Aid is an example.
Its an older mod but still works almost bug free and intorduces a new world space and is bascially the size of a proper DLC.

I do use cheat console to start myself up at 10 or even 15 levels higher on a new game and give myself some goodies too, but then Cheat console teleport myself all the way into the middle of the glowing sea (made even more dangerous due to mods that add a well armed militant army of religous fanatics to the vanilla CoA faction) to see if I can fight my way out and back to Sanctuary Hills.

Though I admit I do enjoy giving myself early on some items, I would otherwise never use.
For example Raider Power armor.
By the time you can get it in normal game progression, its useless, since then you already have much better armors, T45 or T51 or even T60 Power Armor.
So I figure it would be fun to give myself a copy of Raider Power Armor straight out of the Vault... just so this item gets used.
Same with some weapons like, Neeher's "Rapid machine Gun" , which is really just an 10mm Auto Pistol that looks and animates superior over Vanilla.
In normal game progression by the time I get to that house to pick it up, I would already have much better weapons and so never use it.

And tweaks like that, make the game IMO replayable with angles a normal playthrough would miss.

Last edited:
And since we are on this subject; I always felt Coursers were tragic figures.
They are clearly 100% self aware and I think its been well established now that their robotic voices are a deliberate act of self preservation in how to act vis-avis their natural human masters.
They do have feelings and passion as you will see if decide to join the Insitute and act disloyal with your Courser companion present.
And they freely give you respect for your skill, even though they know you are a courser killer.
Almost as if they consider themsleves not as unthinking institute Androids, but as hardcore members of the profession of arms.

Coursers know that their "owners" , which I think is the proper term, think nothing of them except as expedient tools and often treat them with something bordering on contempt.
And with their skill set and routine ability to go outside, they are the only synths that have to ability to defect at will.
But they almost never do, because their honor to be a loyal soldier of the Institue forbids them.

The same honor, the institute would deny they are capable of possessing.

LATE GAME SPOILERS!:

Last edited:
I’m just making my through the fallout series, although I’m pretty sure I will finish at Fallout 4.
Just finished Fallout1&2 and I’m making my way through Fallout 3. No mods though, I like them vanilla style.
You are in for a wild ride with 3, 4 and New Vegas. Vanilla gives a great experience.

Fellas, keep in mind especially for fallout 4, the came is a bit crashy unless you install the fan based patches.
And once you figured out how to install those via Vortex and F4SE it is SO EASY to enlargen your experience.

MORE Locations.
MORE pretty NPC girls
And yes you can "date" them
LOTS ,more map with mods.
Huge immersive questions mods that widen your expereince.
Help a beaten Militia rise from its ashes again to protect the people.
Or join the Brotherhood
Or join the bad guys even (they seem to treat you the best too).

With mods you can:
-Set your jump height higher because the game does not have a climbing animation so you are stymied by "obstacles" any healthy man can climb over
- Allow your settlers to enter/occupy/fight and gaurd with your spare pwoer armor sets (in vanilla this is random and often counter productive)
-flirt date with any hot girl you like. and bed her too
-Set the weather,
Add entire new locations with and without quests with and with out inhabitants, hostile and friendly.

many mods dont change the game play just improve the game, more locations, more random encounters, better weather, better visuals,
There are a few i wish I had on ym first playthrough. The magic of that firts playthrough would ahve bene evern mor powerful.
Also if you are not a seasoned gamer get a friend who played the game, swear him to no spoilers and have him explain the settlement managent , the power armor improvements and game mechanics to you.
W/o spoilers.

etc etc etc etc

Last edited:
I’m just making my through the fallout series, although I’m pretty sure I will finish at Fallout 4.
Just finished Fallout1&2 and I’m making my way through Fallout 3. No mods though, I like them vanilla style.
I threw a texture pack on New Vegas on my last play through, made a world of difference visually without changing anything else or too heavy of an impact on performance. Still pulled 60fps+ at 1080p high settings despite gaming on an old Asus laptop with a GTX 965m and mobile 6th gen Core i7.

Back