i need a good convential gear oil for low $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
its time to change out my break-in gear oil and i want something high quality but is under 10/qt. i need 80w90 and it has to be mineral based conventional oil because of the auburn differential.(auburn recommends it)
thanks
justin

I've got over 2 quarts of Valvoline 80W-90 (I'd have to verify how much) that I'm never going to use since I switched over to Amsoil. For the price of gas you can drive over and pick it up.

At advance Auto, there is Accel brand gear oil sold at a fraction of the price of all the other gear oils. It is availible as an 80w90 GL-5 or 85w140 GL-5.

thanks guys! looks like pennzoil shell and castrol are good choices. would any boutique oils be better like ones offered by jegs and such? thanks for the offer wishiahdatruck but i'll buy some other stuff.

Now you are having second thoughts and are considering better lubes.
Get the best that you can from the start. What is $10 more for a change that occurs every 2 years or so?

Originally Posted By: jmaster
thanks guys! looks like pennzoil shell and castrol are good choices. would any boutique oils be better like ones offered by jegs and such? thanks for the offer wishiahdatruck but i'll buy some other stuff.

Well,all the boutique lubes are synthetics,and since you said you have to use dino,then boutiques aren`t an option. BUT,if you could use a boutique and you need an 80W90,get Amsoil AGL 80W90. If you need a dino for sure,I`d use Pennzoil 80W90.

if i could use synthetic you bet i would! i'd either use amsoil or redline. but i don't want to chance it with this auburn diff. they recommend conventional only so thats what i'm getting. well i'll look to see where i can get shell or pennzoil.

if i could use synthetic you bet i would! i'd either use amsoil or redline. but i don't want to chance it with this auburn diff. they recommend conventional only so thats what i'm getting. well i'll look to see where i can get shell or pennzoil.

How much do you need?

what makes you think its a classic?
55.gif

its a 2001 Bullitt mustang with a blower and some odds and ends. not a classic but a fun car.

I've never seen the Shell Spirax in any of the stores around here, although that is the brand that my Hyundai recommends. Menards sells the Shell Heavy Duty 80W90. Does anyone know if this would be a good choice as a replacement for Spirax?

what makes you think its a classic?
55.gif

its a 2001 Bullitt mustang with a blower and some odds and ends. not a classic but a fun car.

Sorry, thought you were talking about a Auburn automobile.

Originally Posted By: sambojoho
I've never seen the Shell Spirax in any of the stores around here, although that is the brand that my Hyundai recommends. Menards sells the Shell Heavy Duty 80W90. Does anyone know if this would be a good choice as a replacement for Spirax?

Yes it would. The only difference is the Spirax has some LS additive in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back