I made a realization, and I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
My '04 Corolla now has 341K miles and still runs and drives just fine, and all I've ever used is Super Tech dino with change intervals of 6K miles...tell me again why I need to run full synthetic?

Do you do "severe duty" driving? Do you drive your vehicle with the gas pedal on the floor a bit often like me? Do you want the piece of mind knowing you can push your oil change further in the future if life gets busy? That's why synthetics are great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: deven
^^No I'm not at all worried about using HPS in a car with warranty intact. I'm also using 5w30 instead of the recommended 0w20 viscosity. The J35 Honda engine will practically run on any oil and in my 25 years of driving I've never had an oil related engine failure.

Let us know if the Escape/Crown Vic are quieter on RP HPS. I'm sure they will be!!

I'll make a new thread about it once I put it in both of them. I think they'll come due for an oil change around the same time. It's gonna hurt putting $8/qt oil into an Escape that's used as a rental car but if it's quieter I'm happy.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

My '04 Corolla now has 341K miles and still runs and drives just fine, and all I've ever used is Super Tech dino with change intervals of 6K miles...tell me again why I need to run full synthetic?

Do you do "severe duty" driving? Do you drive your vehicle with the gas pedal on the floor a bit often like me? Do you want the piece of mind knowing you can push your oil change further in the future if life gets busy? That's why synthetics are great.

No, no, and no.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you buy your Corvette retirement car, you'll run synthetic oil.

That's different, GM calls for synthetic in the Corvette, my Corolla doesn't...

No, no, and no.

Great, well, that's why they make different oils, just like they make different cars. I wouldn't buy a Corolla, you don't bother with premium synthetics
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you buy your Corvette retirement car, you'll run synthetic oil.

That's different, GM calls for synthetic in the Corvette, my Corolla doesn't...

True.

No, no, and no.

Great, well, that's why they make different oils, just like they make different cars. I wouldn't buy a Corolla, you don't bother with premium synthetics
smile.gif

Not true. My wife's Sienna calls for 0W-20 full synthetic, so that's what I use in it...it isn't needed in the Corolla...

Technically, synthetic can be cheaper than dino. Mobil just had their $12 rebate and after rebate, their oil was $10.88 for a 5 quart jug. Run that to 10-12k and you save money on the filter and the oil. But if you prefer to pay more, that's your choice too.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Technically, synthetic can be cheaper than dino. Mobil just had their $12 rebate and after rebate, their oil was $10.88 for a 5 quart jug. Run that to 10-12k and you save money on the filter and the oil. But if you prefer to pay more, that's your choice too.

Super Tech dino is $2.44 a qt. So going 12K on syn would be less expensive, but with 340K doing what I'm doing now, why would I change? It appears to be working...

Super Tech dino is $2.44 a qt. So going 12K on syn would be less expensive, but with 340K doing what I'm doing now, why would I change? It appears to be working...

Just because one method works doesn't mean it's the most efficient or cheapest method. 1/2 the work changing it, less money per quart, last twice as long, those are good reasons to switch.

But you're free to continue doing what you're doing.

Just saying...

Just because one method works doesn't mean it's the most efficient or cheapest method. 1/2 the work changing it, less money per quart, last twice as long, those are good reasons to switch.

But you're free to continue doing what you're doing.

Just saying...

If my engine didn't use a qt every 1k miles, syn would be cheaper...as it is, it isn't...

Change the pcv valve with an oem version if that hasn't been done lately. Also try some Formula Shell at Home Depot for $13. Sometimes on sale for $10 and no rebates to deal with. Wouldn't be surprised if consumption goes down.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Change the pcv valve with an oem version if that hasn't been done lately. Also try some Formula Shell at Home Depot for $13. Sometimes on sale for $10 and no rebates to deal with. Wouldn't be surprised if consumption goes down.

Re: savings:
Does HomeDepot still honors 10% Lowes coupons found on Ebay?
Also grampi is a vet. Do they still have the military discount?

I just changed the PCV about two months ago. My mechanic said he thinks the back pressure, caused by a plugged up cat probably compressed the oil rings, which is why its oil consumption is so high, and some of it is just normal wear. Will the Shell help with that?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Re: savings:
Does HomeDepot still honors 10% Lowes coupons found on Ebay?
Also grampi is a vet. Do they still have the military discount?

Yes they do. 10%

I just changed the PCV about two months ago. My mechanic said he thinks the back pressure, caused by a plugged up cat probably compressed the oil rings, which is why its oil consumption is so high, and some of it is just normal wear. Will the Shell help with that?

I've read reports on here about ST oil being consumed more for some reason. Not sure why exactly. But give FS a try for a few intervals and see what you observe.

I've read reports on here about ST oil being consumed more for some reason. Not sure why exactly. But give FS a try for a few intervals and see what you observe.

What exactly is FS? An oil? A treatment?

What exactly is FS? An oil? A treatment?

FormulaShell? Full Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back