I made a realization, and I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
.I'm at least three weeks late getting my hair cut and I don't give a hoot.

That's just craziness.

You still have full head of hair...
Let us , the "missing" ones, to at least remember how it was with some hair in the wind....

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Plus, Environmentally changing your oil half as often (or more) saves LOTS of resources.

ONE guy changing his oil half as often doesn't save anything, because on the flip side there is another guy changing his oil at twice what the average is. If everyone ran oils out to what they are actually capable of in each application, THEN you would see a savings of resources.

DNewton3 has run nearly 15k on conventional oil. I've run over 17k on PUP... and both oils did exactly what they were supposed to... protect the engine. tig1 has run 10k mile OCIs for the past 4 decades... and his engines are still fine. When I look at Blackstone's universal average miles for my engine type and I am running 2-2.5 times longer OCIs and have great UOAs to prove the protection is there... it shows me how wasteful our society is, and how much money my fellow Fusion owners are wasting on oil changes.

And will I ever run 34k OCIs on my Fusion? Nope, because with a 5.3qt sump and never needing any makeup oil, the UOA showed some thickening even though the TBN was still 2.8. So as far as I'm concerned, I've run that oil as long as possible without risking engine damage in my engine under my driving conditions, so this was as efficient use of this oil as possible. YMMV

I do notice a difference in the way my engines run since I quit using the quick lube places. My truck is running more quietly for sure. I didn't start changing my own oil immediately. After the quick lubes, I started getting my oil changed at a local garage. They did a great job and always used a name brand synthetic oil. However, I figured out that I could buy my oil at Walmart and stop by O'Reilly for my favorite filter and change my own oil for a little over $25. I was paying around $60 to get my car's oil changed which is only holds 4 quarts and over $70 for my truck due to it holding 6 quarts.(1 quart over the 5 quart limitation of the deal.) So it's all about the money for me. I can take the money saved and blow it on groceries and electricity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
My next oil change is going to be with Royal Purple HPS, so that's like a $60 oil change.

Welcome to Royal Purple HPS. I have been running exclusively on HPS for nearly 8 years since it's introduction in 2011. My cars have never run smoother and I love it.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
.I'm at least three weeks late getting my hair cut and I don't give a hoot.

That's just craziness.

When I was in my late teens to my 20s I'd get my haircut every 15 days like clockwork. Now that I'm in my mid 40s and dont give a [censored] I get my haircut every 2 months. Priorities change as you get older and I'm no longer chasing skirts or [censored]!

I've used an expensive synthetic oil in my car because I'm never going to change it again...it's a lifetime fill.

I used .49 cent API 5/20 according to Honda's rec in my brand new '03 2.4 Accord...here in the extreme..it burned oil after 60k.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Well for me, I use M1 EP because I feel confident it can go 15K miles....because THEY SAID SO!!! Haaaa....seriously, the wife and I average about 20K miles a year. With that oil, I only have to change it out twice a year, which is OK by me.

Not a bad plan …

Originally Posted By: deven
My next oil change is going to be with Royal Purple HPS, so that's like a $60 oil change.

Welcome to Royal Purple HPS. I have been running exclusively on HPS for nearly 8 years since it's introduction in 2011. My cars have never run smoother and I love it.

That's the experience I had in my 92 Chevy C1500 with about 250K miles on the original 5.0L TBI (flat tappet cam) engine, switching to RP HPS 5W-30 made it smoother, quieter, and I got better MPG. Hopefully my experience is the same in the Vic.

Last edited:

That's the experience I had in my 92 Chevy C1500 with about 250K miles on the original 5.0L TBI (flat tappet cam) engine, switching to RP HPS 5W-30 made it smoother, quieter, and I got better MPG. Hopefully my experience is the same in the Vic.

I'm sure you'll have the same experience in your Crown Vic. Just last weekend I changed the oil in the car in my signature to Royal Purple HPS and the car is quieter and smoother! This is the sole reason why I use Royal Purple HPS!

I'm sure you'll have the same experience in your Crown Vic. Just last weekend I changed the oil in the car in my signature to Royal Purple HPS and the car is quieter and smoother! This is the sole reason why I use Royal Purple HPS!

Are you at all concerned about the lack of API SN specification for warranty on a 2016 car? Obviously none of my vehicles are under warranty. If HPS makes my Vic quieter I might just try it in the Escape since that engine is very noisy. Valvoline SynPower was quieter than Motorcraft but it's still LOUD. There is no way I will waste HPS in my Suburban though LOL.

^^No I'm not at all worried about using HPS in a car with warranty intact. I'm also using 5w30 instead of the recommended 0w20 viscosity. The J35 Honda engine will practically run on any oil and in my 25 years of driving I've never had an oil related engine failure.

Let us know if the Escape/Crown Vic are quieter on RP HPS. I'm sure they will be!!

A friend has used Amsoil in his Harley’s for years. He changes it every 2500 miles. 4 quarts of Amsoil Vtwin with an Amsoil filter. $75.65 per OCI, but it makes him feel good.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
After being on this board for 16 years and looking at thousands of oil analysis I came to the the conclusion (many years ago) that oil is oil. It all protects about the same provided you don't exceed TBN values (and I have never seen that) or leave it in until until it turns to jelly or dilutes itself to water.

But as someone mentioned, do whatever makes you feel good..

I am of the same opinion.

But I hope the other half keeps up their habits, including the many debates on this site. It is one of my go to sites for morning entertainment before I start my day.

^^No I'm not at all worried about using HPS in a car with warranty intact. I'm also using 5w30 instead of the recommended 0w20 viscosity. The J35 Honda engine will practically run on any oil and in my 25 years of driving I've never had an oil related engine failure.

Let us know if the Escape/Crown Vic are quieter on RP HPS. I'm sure they will be!!

I'll make a new thread about it once I put it in both of them. I think they'll come due for an oil change around the same time. It's gonna hurt putting $8/qt oil into an Escape that's used as a rental car but if it's quieter I'm happy.

Last edited:
My '04 Corolla now has 341K miles and still runs and drives just fine, and all I've ever used is Super Tech dino with change intervals of 6K miles...tell me again why I need to run full synthetic?

Originally Posted By: grampi
My '04 Corolla now has 341K miles and still runs and drives just fine, and all I've ever used is Super Tech dino with change intervals of 6K miles...tell me again why I need to run full synthetic?

Because a true BITOG-er could have the supplies for an oil change cheaper than a Starbucks triple latte?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back