I"m in jury duty right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to go twice.
Both times I was excused.
I'm starting to take it personally now.

I'm glad to go, but only to learn how the system works.

Once you go, your good for 7 years (I believe).
Suggestion: Save your dated paper-work (incase they call you sooner).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I served jury duty and it lasted two weeks. I reported at 10 AM and was out everyday but one by the courts noon lunch hour.
The county court paid jurors $10 per day. I parked blocks away and walked to avoid parking meters and the parking garage.
My employer paid me my normal wage minus the juror pay.

The court doesn't stamp your parking ticket / pass so you don't have to pay for parking ?

I know here, the jury pay is the same as the Courthouse parking fee (at least a few years ago when i was last called).

When I have jury duty, I take the bus into town, they let you ride free.
Last time I was on a murder trial, 4 days (1 jury pool selection, 2.5 for trial, about 3 hours for deliberation).

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The past 15 years I've tossed my jury summons in the trash.

I'm too busy at work to go to court for some criminal.

I guess you are a criminal since you have been ignoring the summonses!

YEP

Heck, in Phoenix, ignore a jury summons and a sheriff's deputy just might show up at your door. In many jurisdictions, bench warrants are issued for those failing to appear, which could lead to arrests during routine traffic stops.

I remember when i got called for jury duty. It was about a dui case. I didnt know that before i went and i happened to be wearing a corona shirt lol. They dismissed me pretty quick lol

Didn't get picked again, 3rd time.I was kinda hoping for a short case just to see how it all works.(I was already there anyways). Not long after they picked the 1st 64 jurors a Judge came in the room and explained how the grand jury works and that cases can take up to 3 months etc...He said that they were short of jurors and asked if any one would want to volunteer to raise there hands. Well 3 people volunteered and they were taken away, I didn't raise my hand 3 months of sitting on a jury would be tough, about 15 minutes later we were all told to go home.There were about 40 of us that didn't get picked.
I'm good for at least 3 yrs now.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Been asked a couple times. Both times as soon as they found out I was an engineer by profession I was dismissed.

Too smart.

Went once to a civil case, didn't get selected, it was funny what kind of excuses people were coming up with to avoid selection. Some of these cases the judge and the justice system can solve, it's clear that people have no desire or are too busy to deal with it.

I have served several times over the years, but when I hit 70 years of age, I no longer get called.

The extreme jury duty is Federal grand jury duty which is 3 days a week for 18 months. I was in waiting room but they did not call my number. And it would have been a 90+ min commute.

Retired people love jury duty, working people not so much.

Spent three weeks as the foreman of a grand jury here.
It was utterly fascinating and was well worth the time spent.
It was like a vacation from my normal work.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Been asked a couple times. Both times as soon as they found out I was an engineer by profession I was dismissed.

Same here. Once they find out I am a Pastor I am shown the door. I wonder if it is because they think I would be too easy or too tough?

However, being a Pastor did not prevent me from serving on a Grand Jury. I had to do it for 2 days. Pretty cool. Police officers have one of the toughest jobs out there. It was amazing what they deal with every day.

I have been picked twice. Both times about two minutes after we all got seated some kind of deal was reached between attorney's etc and we were all asked to leave.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I have been picked twice. Both times about two minutes after we all got seated some kind of deal was reached between attorney's etc and we were all asked to leave.

That has happened to me once as well.
We were vetted, picked, sent to the jury room, went into the court room, given instructions, then had a recess for lunch, were taken to lunch (some decent corner deli place), came back, sat in the court room, and the defense asked for a side, guy decided to accept a plea apparently, and we were told to go home.

Thus far I've been called half a dozen times for jury duty but never selected. Trial attorneys don't like people like me who focus on facts above emotionalism.

The one time I was subpoenad in a trial matter, only my videotaped deposition was used. When the trial came both sides decided I was so brutally honest and focused on absolute accuracy I would have been more of a liability than an asset if I was put on the witness stand. During deposition an aggressive attorney that kept trying to twist my testimony without success eventually laid his head and arm on the conference table saying "I give up!" while laughing, all on videotape.

I was on the speech & debate team in high school, some of that stuff has stuck with me. I didn't just say Yes or No, I'd say "Based on" or "Considering" with a short sentence to preface a Yes or No. You could see some attorneys cringe during my deposition when I did so in response to their questions, they would have been fun at the poker table I think.

Last edited:
I spent 18 months on a federal grand jury. There were no questions or anything - just your number. I'm an engineer so no accounting for profession. Whether you stuck on the jury was almost entirely due to your employment situation - as a fed I had unlimited court leave, as did the other government employees and retirees on my jury. We had a few partner-level attorneys and accountants as well. If service was a financial hardship you were let off, otherwise you were on. It was a very interesting experience.

jeff

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The past 15 years I've tossed my jury summons in the trash.

I'm too busy at work to go to court for some criminal.

I guess you are a criminal since you have been ignoring the summonses!

Oh no, not that discussion again on what is & isn't criminalized by which definition!
laugh.gif

I've only been called twice.

Once while in college; was excused because of distance/travel.

The other time I sat for hours waiting to be called into the room. Finally seated for selection questioning. Was asked if I knew any of the police officers sitting in the room; I answered "Yes - the lead Deputy in this case is my boss." And I was shown the door.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Having lived in So. Cal all my life (until 5years ago)-I have seen OJ get away with murdering two people thanks to the jury systems. And then the cops who beat the living daylights out of Rodney King get away with that.

Consequently-I have absolutely no faith in the jury system. When I'm called to serve this will be my position.

I contend that the Jury reached the right decision on the OJ case given the what the prosecutors presented (and didn't present), and that the prosecutors did a horrible job of presenting the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back