I have CUT OPEN another Pronto P0195

And this one ended up being pretty mangled 🤣🤣🤣The shop must get their workouts in tightening these. It was replaced with a Fram XG3600 on the Taurus....

I'd have to check miles etc but that has about ~134,200 miles or so on it now, please check my signature for the math, maybe I'll do that after posting.

Took some doing to get this one 1. Off of the car 2. Out of the can.

How does it look?

10 pics per post is the max...

I do not think any white flakes from the paint on the can made it IN to the filter. I DID make a small mess cutting it open.. have to go wash my hands.

Top of filter states Leak Tested and 21MTA04 3470 Not sure if that pic made it in.

20230429_062940.jpg
20230429_062933.jpg
20230429_062917.jpg
20230429_062900.jpg
20230429_062855.jpg
20230429_062350.jpg
20230429_062258.jpg

Screenshot_20230429-063414_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230429-063347_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230429-063336_Gallery.jpg

And this one ended up being pretty mangled 🤣🤣🤣The shop must get their workouts in tightening these. It was replaced with a Fram XG3600 on the Taurus....

I'd have to check miles etc but that has about ~134,200 miles or so on it now, please check my signature for the math, maybe I'll do that after posting.

How does it look?

I do not think any white flakes from the paint on the can made it IN to the filter. I DID make a small mess cutting it open.. have to go wash my hands.

Top of filter states Leak Tested and 21MTA04 3470 Not sure if that pic made it in.

View attachment 153141View attachment 153142View attachment 153143View attachment 153144View attachment 153145View attachment 153146View attachment 153147
View attachment 153148View attachment 153149View attachment 153150
🤣🤣
Looks like angry beaver chewed filter open 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nice photos 😍👍

🤣🤣
Looks like angry beaver chewed filter open 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nice photos 😍👍

Oh I got in a FIGHT with this one! Almost broke my filter wrench 🔧 (pliers) too. 👊

Same with taking it off the Ford.. it's like they put it on with an impact gun or something.

I snug mine, a little bit past hand-tight, with my hand, after dabbing the mating surface in some oil. If you do that on a hot engine, it will be a little difficult to take off cold, but it wont be IMPOSSIBLE without drastic measures. So essentially it will be easy . I don't even think I rubbed the oil in on this one. Just let it sit on. Ran it through a pretty long time for that step, in my oil basin. Seriously thinking of modding my @OIL_UDDER @oil UDDER (Oil Udder, where are you?) to be a pass-through funnel (cut the bottom) rather than a catch.

Thanks @53' Stude

20230429_082406.jpg

20230429_083537.jpg
20230429_083545.jpg

Last edited:
from what I can see the filter media doesn't look too bad. :LOL:
Let us know how many miles are on the filter?

10-4!

There's going to be a hair over 2000 miles on that filter Mr. @fantastic Maybe 2200.

This time.. well, it was changed for two reasons:

1. Oil adjusted LEVEL COLD to RIGHT in the middle of the dipstick. (Engine survived me putting oil level right to the very bottom of the crosshatch on dipstick. Thought that, while acceptable, perhaps could be sub-optimal. Especially how I drive. So l put it to the middle of.) This way I can see if it goes UP again... IF it does? Maybe I can order some injectors from @Trav (he rebuilds injectors; I can tell you, it is impossible to remove and send out to anyone and wait for receiving back the same set, on a car that is in use every day. If it's a whole separate set, ready to be swapped in and out.. that is another story.) But they might be fine now that it is warm out..... NJ is winter up until Memorial Day, this will be another year like that. "Warm" is "45 and over." Monitoring for fuel going in where it shouldn't. Moving on...

2. Got sick of having a beautiful XG3600 filter on the shelf. I don't even know if I can get an XG3600 filter at Walmart anymore. But. With some of the poor quality I see on Motorcrafts in other threads...... this car may have found its filter. It is larger than both the K&N, other Frams, and the Pronto. This may be the one. And if the oil doesn't fuel dilute? Maybe it can stay on..... for awhile.....

I DID make a small mess cutting it open.. have to go wash my hands.
What up with your filter cutter ... cutting wheel already dull? You can get one on eBay that's basically a Longacre knock-off for $18-$20. Get some nitrile rubber gloves too, lol.

Last edited:

How does it look?

View attachment 153141View attachment 153142View attachment 153143View attachment 153144View attachment 153145View attachment 153146View attachment 153147
View attachment 153148View attachment 153149View attachment 153150
You hack yours open about like I do lol.
Not pretty but you got that sucker apart!

@Slow Car Sport Mode was the car cold when you removed the filter? The only time I have ever struggled to remove a filter was when I didn't let the oil warm up first.

It was hot. I included the video in Post #5 to illustrate that every time this car gets oil changed at the shop (and they install the Pronto oil filter,) it is as if they put the oil filter on with an oil filter socket on an impact.

I don't know if that is what they actually do. But. They do have the car up in the air.. and not sure if they grab the smaller impact with said socket or just go to town and do a pull-up on it but they really put it on with waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too many ft-lbs of torque.

I turn it hand-tight, snug, then go a little past that.. the only time it is even a little bit hard for removal that way is if I do that on a hot/fully warmed engine.. but even then, one good bite on it and it's off. Not like "Use the Force Luke" levels of tight and having to un-do..

All this to illustrate that I didn't put it on that tight/no..

Car is running 100% Btw. Might have fat codes but that's it (and could still be the O2 sensors for those. They are original.) Gas cap being replaced Monday as to P0442. Oil looks good...

It was hot. I included the video in Post #5 to illustrate that every time this car gets oil changed at the shop (and they install the Pronto oil filter,) it is as if they put the oil filter on with an oil filter socket on an impact.

I don't know if that is what they actually do. But. They do have the car up in the air.. and not sure if they grab the smaller impact with said socket or just go to town and do a pull-up on it but they really put it on with waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too many ft-lbs of torque.

I turn it hand-tight, snug, then go a little past that.. the only time it is even a little bit hard for removal that way is if I do that on a hot/fully warmed engine.. but even then, one good bite on it and it's off. Not like "Use the Force Luke" levels of tight and having to un-do..

All this to illustrate that I didn't put it on that tight/no..

Car is running 100% Btw. Might have fat codes but that's it (and could still be the O2 sensors for those. They are original.) Gas cap being replaced Monday as to P0442. Oil looks good...
Wow! I don't think I would trust them in the future. If they can't get an oil change right, imagine what they would do with trans plugs, brake bleeders, etc...

Back