I hate surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that pan easy to drop? If it was my truck, I'd drop the pan, weld that mess shut, drill a new hole, and weld a nut inside the pan to accept a new drain plug.

For some reason, I just remembered what they were called.

A Last Resort, for obvious reasons. lol

I'll never understand why people jury-rig something that important.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Thats awesome! FYI, wallah is spelled voilà.

Since we are bringing writing skills into the conversation, the contraction of "that is" requires an apostrophe.

Well you do gotta give props to the jack of that trade because I can't see a leak around that anywhere.

Nah. Just drill a hole to the bottom of the oil pan, drain the old oil out, plug the hole with some RTV or duct tape and add new oil => Job done
grin.gif

This is why you never buy a used car without sticking your head under it. I take a $2 plastic drop-cloth with me and latex gloves, look underneath and poke around the engine bay to find faults.

Looks like a pan from a 4.6 or 5.4 possibly. On those the drain plugs strip out way before the pan does. The torque spec is something like 10 ft-lbs but people think they are a lot higher and go crazy tightening them.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Is that pan easy to drop? If it was my truck, I'd drop the pan, weld that mess shut, drill a new hole, and weld a nut inside the pan to accept a new drain plug.

Or, stop all the non-sense and replace it with a replacement pan, which is like $20-$40, or perhaps free at a you-pull-it.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I can't remember what the industry calls them, but they are the last ditch for when the drain plug threads are just too far gone and are generally installed at quick lubes.

They are a butterfly type design and normally they work well. Should be temporary, rarely are.

65240-007.jpg

This one obviously had some leaking problems to the used some Permatex Black and hoped for the best.

NICE FIND...YUP thats what we have for sure...

Its a 2003 F150 w 5.4 engine of a co worker owns,300K miles
and he just bought it used a few weeks ago LMAO !

I am buying him a small electric suction pump and see if we can do a dipstick
oil change...the current oil looks decent thank goodness but an oil pan is about
60 bucks and we would have to hoist up a good bit the motor as it has a crossmember in the way
Thats a good chunk of work id rather avoid

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racer12306
I can't remember what the industry calls them, but they are the last ditch for when the drain plug threads are just too far gone and are generally installed at quick lubes.

They are a butterfly type design and normally they work well. Should be temporary, rarely are.

65240-007.jpg

This one obviously had some leaking problems to the used some Permatex Black and hoped for the best.

Excellent detective work sir!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back