I Don't Understand the Polaris Slingshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Slingshot:
1. Allows HOV-lane access like a motorcycle.
2. Doesn't require you to be able to ride a motorcycle. That's a plus for drivers who don't ride.
3. Steers like a car and has car-like seating and controls, which makes more sense to me than the the can-am spyder which steers like a car, but has motorcycle-like seating and controls. Wouldn't you want lateral support from the seating when you're driving a non-leaning vehicle?
4. Costs less than a Campagna T-Rex (do they still make those?) or a Morgan 3.
6. Simpler handling than a side-car rig.
5. Much lighter than it could be as a USA-legal 4-wheel production car. The Ariel Atom and even the more substantial KTM X-bow aren't sold as street legal vehicles in the USA. I think you can build an Ariel Atom kit-car though and register it. Which if you had the resources (including time), would probably be more awesome.

If I lived in a state without lane splitting, yet there were HOV lanes, I could see using one for commuting. Whatever it's handling limitations, I expect it would be a lot of fun to drive. Weather protection? I ride year round. I'm sure I could manage. Don't have a use for one though.

It's a great addition to a toy collection. Of those who I know who have them, all have at least 3 bikes, 2 boats, and all kinds of other man toys. If cash ain't no thang, it's great.

Driven them, obviously. Just the freedom of the open ride, basically. Replacement for the motorcycle? No. Great addition, as previously outlined.

Very robust in an accident. Wrecked car exporter next door has gotten two of them come in. We looked up the reports and both had been in serious accidents with fairly heavy vehicles and had intact passenger compartments.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Motorcycle, Slingshot, Spyder, motorcycle with sidecar....debating which one is safer is about like debating if heart disease or cancer is deadlier...
Life isn't exactly safe because We all will die. Sooner or later.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The irony is they pass laws on using handheld device while driving because of distraction and you pull up to a police car with the officer on a lap top while driving or the new car screens that monitor on the windshield.
Government employees are special.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The irony is they pass laws on using handheld device while driving because of distraction and you pull up to a police car with the officer on a lap top while driving or the new car screens that monitor on the windshield.
Government employees are special.

Not all of them...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: grampi
Motorcycle, Slingshot, Spyder, motorcycle with sidecar....debating which one is safer is about like debating if heart disease or cancer is deadlier...
Life isn't exactly safe because We all will die. Sooner or later.

A Corvette is safer than all of them...and more fun too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back