I Don't Understand the Polaris Slingshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polaris markets the Slingshot as a '3 wheeled motorcycle' but when you think about it, it's really closer to a 3-wheeled car. The powertrain, seating, steering....compared to a Can-Am Spyder which gives you the feeling that you're riding a motorcycle.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

P.S. Self-balancing motorcycles aren't that far away. Honda already has a working concept. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on larger production bikes in the not too distant future.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Well I won't stop ridding just because I can't swing my leg over a bike and not fall over, 3 wheels would do it for me. Although more likely a sidecar for me....I've got one in the shed somewhere.

But you sit down in a Slingshot (I found it a pain to get into).
As Jeff said, a Can-Am is more of a motorcycle, you are straddling a seat, not sitting in one.
A sidecar would be cool, even if not used, and I think a trike is also a good alternative.
When I was younger, I could not understand the draw of a trike, as I age, I am starting to understand.

If I had to go with a three wheeler, it would be a Morgan Three Wheeler. Of course they cost way more than a Slingshot, but they don't look like some Transformers abortion.

I don’t really get them either, I’d much rather have a Super 7 or Factory Five if I have to crawl into it.

If it ever gets to the point I can’t ride a regular bike, it would be a sidecar or something like a Super 7.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I've driven a Slingshot, and most other three-wheeled machines. None of them really do much for me. They don't lean into a turn like a Motorcycle, and they don't have the traction at the rear to handle like a good sports car.

I'll stick with my Sportbikes, and sports car for now.

The MP3 is a three wheeler and it leans just like a bike. If you have never ridden one, try one. They are a gas to ride and this comes from a guy that has 4 bikes plus a MP3.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I've driven a Slingshot, and most other three-wheeled machines. None of them really do much for me. They don't lean into a turn like a Motorcycle, and they don't have the traction at the rear to handle like a good sports car.

The MP3 is a three wheeler and it leans just like a bike. If you have never ridden one, try one. They are a gas to ride and this comes from a guy that has 4 bikes plus a MP3.

ROD

I've ridden those too. I like more performance than the Piaggio MP3 offers.

There's also a company that makes a kit to put two wheels on the front-end of a Motorcycle (Harley's seem to be the most popular bike outfitted) that can lean. Those options make for a heavy-feeling front end. Maybe someday, but for now, I prefer just two wheels.

Originally Posted By: jeff78
Polaris markets the Slingshot as a '3 wheeled motorcycle' but when you think about it, it's really closer to a 3-wheeled car. The powertrain, seating, steering....compared to a Can-Am Spyder which gives you the feeling that you're riding a motorcycle.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

P.S. Self-balancing motorcycles aren't that far away. Honda already has a working concept. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on larger production bikes in the not too distant future.

Agree, I wont discredit what another finds satisfaction in, what works for the individual.

Slingshot is not a motorcycle anymore then an automobile a motorcycle. Meaning they both have wheels and are powered by an engine. Slingshot to me is as we define a car/automobile and cant see the difference except has 3 wheels instead of 4.
It drives the same way as a car with its STEERING WHEEL, BRAKES, and you sit IN a seat.

All is good if that is what someone wants but its certainly not a motorcycle it is a 3 wheeled car.

We also have 3 wheeled motorcycles but they have handlebars, not steering wheels and as others said you sit on a seat.

Then there is the CanAm ... hmmm ... good question ... ? :eek:)

Last edited:
alarmguySlingshot is not a motorcycle anymore then an automobile a motorcycle. Meaning they both have wheels and are powered by an engine. Slingshot to me is as we define a car/automobile and cant see the difference except has 3 wheels instead of 4. It drives the same way as a car with its STEERING WHEEL said:
Agreed. As I understand it, a few state DMV's had or still have a problem calling the Slingshot a motorcycle. And therein lies the rub for Polaris. It cannot pass mandatory NTSB safety requirements for passenger cars. It must be classed a motorcycle or else it is then no different to a state DMV than an ATV or side-by-side, and must be operated off-road only.

Not for me...yet, but I do like them. I ride regularly with a group of guys and gals and one rides/drives a Slingshot. He is 80 years old and always elects to ride in the rear. He’s always back there keeping up with the bikes even on 2 lane mountainous roads. He can’t ride a motorcycle now, and didn’t want a trike, so the Slingshot works for him. Plus he brings his wife along on occasion.

I consider the more of a specialty motorcycle like the Canam Spyder but after looking them over I really see a death trap. You can't get out, no airbag. Your litterly going to get creamed in there.
I wouldn't want one.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
A lot of dough for something that isn't good when it snows.

...or rains...

I drove one too. Can't say it did anything for me either. It would've handled much better if they had made it front wheel drive, and like motorcycles, it can't be driven in the rain or snow...not comfortably anyway...

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Agreed, I think a motorcycle is actually safer than a slingshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywnHZQVOo4 ^^ Debatable of course. ^^ It hits a Deer at about 2:20. In this instance....I'll take the slingshot!
wink.gif

Motorcycle, Slingshot, Spyder, motorcycle with sidecar....debating which one is safer is about like debating if heart disease or cancer is deadlier...

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: benjy
if drivers paid attention to driving instead of all the gadgets in todays cars + not to mention cell phones that cause a LOT of accidents we would all be SAFER!!! cell phone useage of any find SHOULD be banned while driving!!!!

Great idea! I couldn’t agree more. Now, how do you enforce it?

Over here, where using a hand held device while driving is illegal, video evidence, and highly publicised prosecution of drivers after being involved in an accident while phoning or texting - Big Brother will trace your call history - has helped.

What will be REALLY effective is when it becomes socially unacceptable to be convicted.
When I started driving in the early 1970s being caught for DWI was often a hard luck story with sympathy from friends. No the view is more "what an idiot, he (or she) got what they desrved".
Hands free kits are readily available at modest cost.

Over here Traffic Police have taken to patrolling in big trucks to see what truck drivers are up to. Some of it is unbelievable, using a laptop, cooking food, reading a book, watching a video, are some of the crazy things someone in charge of 42 tons travelling at 90kph have been caught doing.

Claud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Claud
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: benjy
if drivers paid attention to driving instead of all the gadgets in todays cars + not to mention cell phones that cause a LOT of accidents we would all be SAFER!!! cell phone useage of any find SHOULD be banned while driving!!!!

Great idea! I couldn’t agree more. Now, how do you enforce it?

Over here, where using a hand held device while driving is illegal, video evidence, and highly publicised prosecution of drivers after being involved in an accident while phoning or texting - Big Brother will trace your call history - has helped.

What will be REALLY effective is when it becomes socially unacceptable to be convicted.
When I started driving in the early 1970s being caught for DWI was often a hard luck story with sympathy from friends. Now the view is more "what an idiot, he (or she) got what they desrved".
Hands free kits are readily available at modest cost.

Over here Traffic Police have taken to patrolling in big trucks to see what truck drivers are up to. Some of it is unbelievable, using a laptop, cooking food, reading a book, watching a video, are some of the crazy things someone in charge of 42 tons travelling at 90kph have been caught doing.

Claud.

The irony is they pass laws on using handheld device while driving because of distraction and you pull up to a police car with the officer on a lap top while driving or the new car screens that monitor on the windshield.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
No laws against talking on your cell phone here in the land of the free, South Carolina. :eek:)

Whether or not that is a good thing is debatable. I believe South Carolina has laws regarding excessive speed and drunk driving. Most traffic law is to make roads safer, even if it sometime seems inappropriate or misguided.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back