I Destroyed My Transmission Pan

I was doing my last drain and fill on my 2004 Corolla and stripped the pan. I'm quite angry (and feel a bit foolish) with myself but am curious, if as oil and trans pans age, do they become more susceptible to this?

Did it strip out because you didn't hand thread it in first or because you accidentally over tightened. If you did neither the threads could've been weak, but the pan is steel which should last some uses.

So, you did a drain and fill and stripped the pan drain bolt...no, they don’t become susceptible as they age.

You should be able to find a drain plug replacement for that, and they do sell various oversized plugs and kits for stripped pans.

Did it strip out because you didn't hand thread it in first or because you accidentally over tightened.
^^I was in a hurry and believe I didn't hand thread it properly. A mechanic I trust said I can't use a over sized plug as the original plug is too short or something. I've been changing fluids in my cars for 7+ years. I think this might be my biggest screw up. My other mistake was never replacing the crush washer which caused a minor leak.

Do you mean the drain plug threads in the pan stripped?
Yes, thank you that is what I meant.

I've had threads strip from corrosion or from wear (being removed and retorqued too many times) it shouldn't happen with a properly designed drain plug though

I have worked on Toyota's that are 20+ years old and never had a drain plug strip out. Your best bet is to not fool around with any over-sized plugs or repair kits and just buy a new transmission pan, they are cheap enough.

Plenty of options at Rockauto. Just replace it.

IMG_0286.jpeg

Back