I can't find suppressor

I cannot find the ignition noise suppressing capacitor on my 87 Mercury Cougar. I do not see it near the coil as one would expect. If anyone is familiar with these old Fords, I would appreciate any direction.

There typically isn't a capacitor in an electronic system. Toyota did add one to the battery side of the coil for additional suppression.

I cannot find the ignition noise suppressing capacitor on my 87 Mercury Cougar. I do not see it near the coil as one would expect. If anyone is familiar with these old Fords, I would appreciate any direction.
The schematic shows a capacitor connected to the B+ side of the coil. I have traced the harnesses without any luck. I likely will just buy a noise capacitor and wire it in near the coil.

Back in the 80s this was still a challenge. The spark system was prone for radio interference, and the alternator and blower motor seemed to creep noise in through power. Most aftermarket radios had a plastic box on the power wire with some noise suppression, probably a choke of some sort. You could buy an inline noise suppressor, which was wired in with both + and -, and was usually a capacitor/coil combination. These aftermarket noise suppressors always worked well for me.

handsfree mics have given me trouble on a couple recent radio installs. It’s like alpine, pioneer and kenwood forgot? (Sheesh). In every case, I’ve coiled the extra mic cord in a 2” dia coil, and then coiled a small wire around a section of the coil, maybe 10 turns, and grounded the small wire. It’s worked every time.

m

Back