I bought the last Geo ever made for $275.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell us you're going to do at least 2 dozen piston soak or engine flush routines using various products to see what works best for Toyota stuck oil ring consumption problems!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Please tell us you're going to do at least 2 dozen piston soak or engine flush routines using various products to see what works best for Toyota stuck oil ring consumption problems!

I think the actual problem with these is that the rings stick and score the cylinder. Then you'll just have to live with it burning oil.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nope doesn't count
48.gif

The ZZE110 was never badged as a Geo, only Chevy
smile.gif

The AE101 was sold as Geo Prizm until 97. So the last Geo was sold in 1997 (could've also been a Tracker or Metro). I wonder what the last Geo ever made would go for at Barrett-Jackson
lol.gif

And if you're counting Geo nameplates that were sold under the Chevy banner after 98, the Tracker was made through 2004

Fun fact: The early 90s Prizm GSI was the only 4-door Corolla available with teh 4A-GE in teh US, sold in both sedan and hatchback form

You sure know your [censored]-boxes. When did they stop the diesel Chevette?
grin2.gif
15.gif

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I have owned and driven worse that car is a nice cream puff.

To the car's credit it's clean inside. As they say on Craigslist, "Nice interia"

For a few years, I taught driver education to teenagers; first in a 1996 Geo Prizm, then a 2000. They were both SO reliable, needing nothing but occasional oil topoffs, and oil changes. I personally liked the 1996 better - it had a 4 speed transmission and was pretty peppy. The 2000 was cheaper feeling, and if I remember correct, it only had a 3 speed transmission. Either way, the 1996 had 300,000 miles on it and still ran great.

They teach driver's ed in Prius C's here now. I approve of putting kids in smallish cars as it'll scare 'em good to learn good driving.

So, update on project...

Drove it around trying to get emissions to click in. Threw a code for "not warm enough to enter closed loop." Put a thermostat in, didn't fix it. Noticed the front o2 sensor not producing voltage. Threw a new $15 ebay one on. Everything clicked in except EVAP. (legal here.)

Took 'er in for a sticker. Flunked for
brake lines
fuel lines
control arm bushings "cracked" and the state police specifically told the mechanic that over 3/8" was no good (unverifiable
smirk.gif
)
steering rack "leaking"
tail lights (smashed one backing into my own snow plow blade!
blush.gif
)
valve cover gasket

So I fixed the gasket, brake lines, and tail lights. I looked up the spec for the steering rack and it's specifically noted that "Seeping fluid passes (leaking does not)." So I left it alone. Similarly the spec for control arm bushings is that they pass unless "severely degraded").

tl;dr I fixed half the stuff and took it back in with printouts from the manual in my pocket ready for an argument. They said nothing, put a sticker on, and gave it back.

So how much do you have in it now, $375 or so? I was expecting a Metro based on the title but this in comparison is pretty nice. Maybe ask $999 for it on CL and state PD checks accepted.

Your numbers aren't far off! Ebay parts are mint when you've got all sorts of time for such things. Also, lest we forget, a pair of front sway bar end links shipped for $11. Made in Germany, too!
19.gif

I treated her to an oil and ATF change... turns out I had lots of random half-full bottles of Mercon V, Dex VI, and Castrol Transmax kicking around.

Then I locked myself out. Turns out the ignition key doesn't do the doors and the door key was the "spare" I left in the glovebox. I was in the ghetto part of Portland uphill from the Expo (if anyone local knows the area) and unravelled a piece of chain link fence to try to pop the lock. Got the door trim off using a credit card for a tool. Got nowhere with that. Pried the door frame out and went after the plastic lock tab. A gentleman in an apartment above my predicament brought me a coat hanger which I bent into a tight "U" and snagged the rear door's lock button. Now I just have to mend the weatherstripping that's gonna whistle. Win some, lose some.

Originally Posted By: mk378
They should have had a celebration at the Geo factory where upon making the last one, they roll it directly into a car crusher. Cut out the middleman.

I know this post is two months old, but...LOL!!!

Once again I salute your perseverence eljefino!

My BIL is still rocking his 2000 Prizm he bought brand new and surprisingly it's in good shape after ~18 Buffalo winters! His is that dark green color which is bady faded and discolored by now. It has that same sea of beige interior and his has deluxe 4spd auto. My BIL is the type that will do semi-regular quicky loob oil changes and will do nothing else unless it's broke. I'm sure it has it's original ATF and probably same with coolant at this point. The last time I rode in it was about 10yrs ago and it rode terrible like every bushing and strut/shock was absolutely shot in it. His work commute is only 10-12 miles, so I don't think it's got more than 120-140K miles on it at this point.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
So how much do you have in it now, $375 or so? I was expecting a Metro based on the title but this in comparison is pretty nice. Maybe ask $999 for it on CL and state PD checks accepted.

Are you kidding me? That car should be crushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back