Radon Concerns

Has anyone purchased a radon detector to assess, & monitor radon levels in their homes?

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, in an older bungalow built in 1964. The basement floor does have some cracking, & there was no vapor barrier laid below the slab.
I also required to install 2 sump pits to control water seepage.
Since purchasing the house about 18 years ago I excavated the foundation, installed weeping tile into an external de-watering well, and used a Platon housewrap to keep the damp backfill from direct contact with concrete.

my Airthings Wave monitor measures in Bq or pCi/L
I was monitoring the basement as I assumed that would be the worst case scenario readings.

I recently moved it upstairs into my bedroom for the past week, & it has an average measurement over the past week of 4.7 (172 Bq), with the current reading at 6.4. (238 Bq)

my previous 3 months monitoring the basement averaged 4.2 (155 Bq) over the period.

I am considering installing a heat recovery air exchange on my furnace to add some fresh air.

Not sure if these levels are something to be worried about.

Seems we never heard much about Radon 15 or 20 years back.

Wondering if any one has done anything to resolve radon issues, & how well it worked for them.

Thanks
Calvin

My parents mountain home had a vent installed beneath the basement slab. It took the measurement down substantially. It goes out the basement wall and the vent ends above the roofline.

back in the day the levels were much higher.. recently I think 4.4 is the max.. Canada around 6?

My house measured 5 so the seller was required to install mitigation.
in the very corner they put in a pipe through the concrete with a 60w fan.

I cant imagine it does very much 1.5ft from the corner of the house.. but ..
they tested it in the middle of the basement with one radon meter
then after used a different meter to tell us it was lowered..
I think they have meter scam going(that company).

My basement reading were 4-5.
After the install well below 1.
I found the sump pit to be the major source.
Sealed the pit cover and installed the exhaust fan on a timer.
It runs about 4 hours a day (2+2).
RADON.jpg

My parents mountain home had a vent installed beneath the basement slab. It took the measurement down substantially. It goes out the basement wall and the vent ends above the roofline.
Yes, I believe this is the correct method here in the USA under slab or along the side of the slab depending on size of house.
As radon gas, like any gas will flow to the least resistance. Perforated piping around a foundation can greatly reduce it.

It's scary stuff. A family member in CT had a basement/utility area with high radon, they had a company come in and set up a fan powered vent system.

My last slab house I got a free test kit from South Carolina. My house tested well within an acceptable range.
Not all states offer free tests but they arent expensive on the CDC site.
Now in a new home this thread just reminded me to check. I'll look to see if NC offers the same free kit. Though I find it interesting, maybe it's all slab homes? But the builder here puts down a thick layer of plastic sheet before pouring. I am sure this is moisture control but seems like it would mitigate some radon if any.

Good post to the OP... I kind of forgot about it, my new state of North Carolina doesnt pay for it. On their site they gave away the available free kits from the CDC and expecting more in 2024. I'll spend the $17 from the link on the CDC website and have it done before I forget. Breathing in radon, even at modest levels can be the equal of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.

Last edited:
Here is the USA CDC with more information =

Including mapping =

I bought a brand new house, and the builder said if Radon is detected (which in Colorado is 99.9% probability), they will cover testing and installation of the venting system. All cost $945, for which I was reimbursed.
So, check if there is a local company that does testing and installation. If Radon is an issue there, there must be companies that do the work.

I bought a brand new house, and the builder said if Radon is detected (which in Colorado is 99.9% probability), they will cover testing and installation of the venting system. All cost $945, for which I was reimbursed.
So, check if there is a local company that does testing and installation. If Radon is an issue there, there must be companies that do the work.
If you live in Colorado you have Radon and chances are dangerous levels. The links I provided above will get in you free test in Colorado.
Oh, heck here is the link *LOL*

As the site says, chances are also strong you have it in your water if you arent on city water.
This map is astonishing to me
Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 1.15.18 PM.jpg

Last edited:
If you live in Colorado you have Radon and chances are dangerous levels. The links I provided above will get in you free test in Colorado.
Oh, heck here is the link *LOL*

As the site says, chances are also strong you have it in your water if you arent on city water.
This map is astonishing to me
View attachment 171921
Well, I wrote that I was already reimbursed for installation as well as that, if you live in Colorado, it is pretty much given you will have Radon issue.

I recently bought and did the 'short' term test.
I have a full open basement and after six days sent the test in.
The test showed I have a reading of 9.6 (yikes).

Internet searches show:
0 thru B] .... no action necessary
2 thru 4 .... consider lowering
above 4 .... action needed

I had one radon mitigator come take a look.
He wants to drill into floor and install PVC pipe with an exhaust fan (outside) to suck the radon gas from under the floor.
This seems to be the standard method.

I have another person coming tomorrow.

The best place to learn about radon is on the EPA website.

I recently bought and did the 'short' term test.
I have a full open basement and after six days sent the test in.
The test showed I have a reading of 9.6 (yikes).

Internet searches show:
0 thru B] .... no action necessary
2 thru 4 .... consider lowering
above 4 .... action needed

I had one radon mitigator come take a look.
He wants to drill into floor and install PVC pipe with an exhaust fan (outside) to suck the radon gas from under the floor.
This seems to be the standard method.

I have another person coming tomorrow.

The best place to learn about radon is on the EPA website.

This is cool when people like yourself and others in here take this serious.
Good news is most always the solution is not that difficult and forever taken care of.
With my very limited knowledge of the subject as I never had to deal with it, though we ALWAYS tested our homes.
RADON, like any gas takes the path of least resistance. So, PVC solutions around and in the foundation are very common, make the area for the gas to escape more easy and the gas will take that route.
(I have had family members deal with it)

It's such an important subject and wow, to me you are as you know off the scale high. Nice to see you are taking action and once its done, there will be nothing more to think about.
Because of the OP it reminded me to test our new home, even though we always lived in very low risk areas. This is the company that I used this time, I had to pay for this one but anyone interested you can also check your state website as many states will pay for the test.
I got this website from our NC state website. NC also at times offered free testing when funds available I didn't want to wait as it only cost $17 or around there.
This was our result =
Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 11.56.52 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a 4" variable speed fan for the crawl space. Chances are its around 4 as a level. Just dirt floor covered in plastic, floods when water table is high. It's 10 speeds and temp or humidity driven as well as manually. I just let it run at the low speed all the time. I've decided too to seal off the vents in the outside wall as the outside temp and humidity are hardly ever in a good spot for drying it out. The house is pretty tight and I use a a 6" fan similar to run in the winter based on CO2 level in the house. Usually at a constant speed of 3 or so.

These are great efficient and quiet fans.

Back