I asked my 9 y.o. what his favorite songs are

"There's a dragon with matches that's loose on the town
Takes a whole pail of water just to cool him down"
On that one, a couple weeks ago, I said what song is this?

“Scarlet Petunias.”

And what’s next, then?

“Fire On the Rain.”

Oh, ok. 😂

It’s uncanny, though, how many tunes he knows from hearing 3 notes or chords and no words….he’s not cheating because as mentioned my car has no metadata on the XM radio due to the antenna error (needs two input and the replacement antennae today have only one, so receiver displays “antenna” and no info on songs).

On that one, a couple weeks ago, I said what song is this?

“Scarlet Petunias.”

And what’s next, then?

“Fire On the Rain.”

Oh, ok. 😂

It’s uncanny, though, how many tunes he knows from hearing 3 notes or chords and no words….he’s not cheating because as mentioned my car has no metadata on the XM radio due to the antenna error (needs two input and the replacement antennae today have only one, so receiver displays “antenna” and no info on songs).
"Fire on the Mountain"

Common folk:
a) don't appreciate how great their lyrics are
b) how know many of their songs have a western theme and are pro USA

They just assume it's some kind of Ben and Jerry BS

Last edited:
My son and daughter-in-law flew to San Francisco Wednesday for the Dead and Company’s last concert starting tonight and is going to be a 3 day affair. He’s seen them in concert probably a dozen times in his 50 years. Groovy and ✌️!

My son and daughter-in-law flew to San Francisco Wednesday for the Dead and Company’s last concert starting tonight and is going to be a 3 day affair. He’s seen them in concert probably a dozen times in his 50 years. Groovy and ✌️!
What I appreciated yesterday, that Steve Parrish said, is that Dead Co is not the Grateful Dead. It’s its own entity etc. and that the community will live on. My 9 yo has been to 5 shows incl Soldier Field 2015. There’s a vid of him dancing and playing someone’s congo and the guy was smiling how he didn’t ask (at 1 1/2). Steve was asked why Melvin Seals and The JGB are not bigger than they are.

I decided to count and in my junior and senior years of college I saw them 31 times. Which explains my poor grades. Not to worry—I was straight A in grad school hahahahahahaha

"Fire on the Mountain"

Common folk:
a) don't appreciate how great their lyrics are
b) how know many of their songs have a western theme and are pro USA

They just assume it's some kind of Ben and Jerry BS
I was recently asked for my favorite song and of course way too many. So many I no longer could play on guitar (I am convinced that with hours of practice they’d come back).

But “He’s Gone” is up there. So is “High Time.”

I was recently asked for my favorite song and of course way too many. So many I no longer could play on guitar (I am convinced that with hours of practice they’d come back).

But “He’s Gone” is up there. So is “High Time.”
How can you NOT sing along with "He's Gone"?

"
Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him
Like I told you, what I said, steal your face right off your head

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, he's gone and nothin's gonna bring him back, he's gone

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Completely catchy lyrics and flowing rhythm "He ain't never comin' back!"

How can you NOT sing along with "He's Gone"?

"
Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him
Like I told you, what I said, steal your face right off your head

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, he's gone and nothin's gonna bring him back, he's gone

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Completely catchy lyrics and flowing rhythm "He ain't never comin' back!"

Another confession, I did not know it was about Mickey’s dad until this year! When I know everything about this band there is to know, I’ll feel a bit sad. 🙂

Edit p.s. the roar of the crowd when Jerry would belt this out: “Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile…”

What I appreciated yesterday, that Steve Parrish said, is that Dead Co is not the Grateful Dead. It’s its own entity etc. and that the community will live on. My 9 yo has been to 5 shows incl Soldier Field 2015. There’s a vid of him dancing and playing someone’s congo and the guy was smiling how he didn’t ask (at 1 1/2). Steve was asked why Melvin Seals and The JGB are not bigger than they are.

I decided to count and in my junior and senior years of college I saw them 31 times. Which explains my poor grades. Not to worry—I was straight A in grad school hahahahahahaha
Yesterday was one of Steven Parrish's best shows. His Egypt description and singing the praises of Rochester (of all places), my commute flew by. I need to check out Melvin.

I was at Fenway 7/25, Bobby and John traded verses on He's Gone, it was awesome. Bobby did "steal your face" and John did "smile smile smile".

Candy Man on while I doze off at 9:21 pm in Napoli. Sounds smooth
I myself have been on a Black Muddy River kick, and so I’m finding my boy actually knows all the words. What’s curious is it’s hard for a kid to keep the choruses straight (sing me a song, listen to the ripples, dream me a dream).

I really love Anders Osborne’s rendition, with the story of the ‘71 Sedan DeVille!

Do you have 100 Year Hall?

Going Down the Road Feeling Bad

The vocals are marginal but the instrumental work amazing. Surprised me a bit. Tight.
No, and funny, that is the last era for me to become interested in (example is Sing Me Back Home 8/27/72). I really regret not buying the 17 cd Here Comes Sunshine set this year. I saw it and it was $187 so I said I'll pass. They're all $400+ now on eBay. collectibles are interesting I have 2 unopened Giants Stadium box sets and same thing, they were like $160 new, reached $500+, but now seem to be dropping in value to about $350. The best one was the "Close Encounters" Dave's Pick 23, Eugene OR 1/22/78. I listed it on eBay for $180, which is 6X its face value, and forgot I did that. Jan 2022 I get an email your item has sold. (sadly my listing was incorrect but the tagline and pic were, so I didn't get any complaint, but have to be careful about cloning another person's listing next time)

As far as collectibles go, makes me wonder sometimes if traded, and kept never opened, could it be counterfeit and nothing is inside, and 60 years later someone opens it and finds out...

I would appreciate the Dead a lot more but on just about every live track I've heard, someone or another needs to tune their guitar.
100% serious....the band was incredibly perfect in their imperfection. Forgetting lyrics (some songs have 11 verses+), etc. It never stopped them. There are shows that went to CD with such (how about 7/9/95 when Jerry sings, "Last Muddy River?." He got his melancholy tale of woe, So Many Roads wrong so many times. But fans loved him even more for that. There's a Giants Stadium July 1989 where Bobby blows the chorus not 1, not 2, but 3 times. Jerry and Brent are singing maybe you had too much too fast, and Bobby says don't tell me this town ain't got no heart. On the 3rd time, he smiles and backs away from the mic.

What is "the" underlying theme was that Jerry believed nothing is played the same way twice, and it belongs to the people. So interestingly, recordings are in existence of every show back to 1965. I don't know of any other band that was close. maybe Pearl Jam?

I need a woman twice my height…

I need a woman about twice my weight…..

I need a miracle every day!

I mean some of the tuning is absolutely on purpose and it takes awhile to get there. Some of their tuning sessions were laboriously long

Most of the songs have a nasty back beat- I mean in a good way.

Feel like a Stranger

I swear that rattleass out of tune bass fits and not sure the jazz/soul riffs are all that in tune either

My 5-yr old...
1. Thriller (M. Jackson)
2. Our House...In The Middle of Our Street (Madness)
3. Ting-a-ling (Shabba Ranks)

Came across this video. We would go to this bar, and see this band, every Saturday night. Wow, it's like being 20 years old again.

To think that with a $5 cover and a few dollars for cheap beer, one could experience this caliber of music....

Back