I asked my 9 y.o. what his favorite songs are

Met Jerry Garcia once at a gas station in Nowhere Utah on a hot July afternoon long ago. I was riding my motorcycle going west with a couple of guys. Offered him a ride. He thanked me and declined, already had one all the way to San Francisco. Honestly I didn't know who he was 'till later.

RIP Jerry, you touched the heavens from here.
Thanks for sharing! 👍

There are endless funny and wise a** comments on YouTube. One that cracked me up is someone saw him and was star struck: "You’re Jerry Garcia! I play in a band, that plays Grateful Dead music!”

“Is that so? So do I!”

My brother in law taught my nephew to sing "Me and My Uncle" when he was 5 years old. He "played" the guitar like a standup bass. He nailed the last line, full volume. We were all roaring laughing.

Left his dead ax…. by the side of the road!
It's a good song! My fav though has always been Help on the Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower. I've heard dozens (hundreds?) of versions and out of those I think Jerry got the words right maybe 3 times lol.

Another oddity. I always ask him who’s singing, and he usually gets Jerry or Bobby 100%.

The tune escapes me but Bobby was singing circa ‘72. So when I asked him who’s singing, he goes, Jerry? Nope. John Mayer? Nope. Brent? Nope. Pigpen? I nearly lost control of the car. No lie, I’ve never mentioned Pig to him! 😂
Kinda reminds me of a show I saw where a kid told his parents he was a WW2 pilot that got shot down during the war .

I haven’t heard those songs but I know who Grateful Dead is lol. I’m more of a country guy. If you asked me when I was 9 what my favorite songs were it would have been all Taylor Swift lol. Now I don’t listen to her at all. Haha.

I thought you would have loved the theme song from Bob The Builder.
Dang it now you’ve got me singing that in the middle of Walmart lol 😂. I was watching Bob the Builder the other day with my niece and nephews and they have changed it completely. It’s sad.

According to my 10yo:
1) Glass Animals - Heat Waves
2) The Beatles - Don’t Let Me Down
3) One Republic - I Ain’t Worried
4) Neil Young - Old Man
5) Weird Al - Party in the CIA

Quite the mix.

Thank you all for the inspiration. Picked up tix for Dead and Company. I never thought I would see them again (been 29 years, yikes!) Bringing wife, daughter and son in law for the first time. 👍

Thank you all for the inspiration. Picked up tix for Dead and Company. I never thought I would see them again (been 29 years, yikes!) Bringing wife, daughter and son in law for the first time. 👍
I was not sure when I had actually seen them last (other than 2015 in Chicago and 4 Dead Co shows after that). Wouldn’t you know, I had placed a ticket stub in a pic of Jerry in my office, and it was June 21, 1995. Not a bad way to spend a Wednesday evening! Have a great show!

IMG_9906.jpeg

IMG_9908.jpeg

Back