Hyundai Theta II Engine in Newer Years

Originally Posted by smc733
Originally Posted by Driz
Get the camera and never look back. You'll have dodged a bullet with that horrible theta engine. Just don't be surprised when you see what they give you want to trade in because it will knock you in the dirt. The trade-in on these things is just about as bad as it comes as I know all too well. It's still better than trying to keep one of those running with an engine the fact that I literally can't be cured.
As a matter of fact I dumped my Hyundai turd 13 sonata for a 2018 Camry with a four banger. No I don't find anything that unusual With the transmissionthe transmission. When you first drive one they take a while getting used to you it's got some kind of a learning algorithm. After you get to know each other it's an occasional missing a gear If you stomp on it. Some people it drives not me I hardly notice.

Fortunately, I got it for a rock-bottom price as a CPO (50% of MSRP) two years ago. The trade value I was quoted with one visit to a dealer (the Camry had body damage so I passed) wasn't terrible given the difference from what I paid for it, however, I would definitely not be happy had I paid MSRP.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

If that's your engine in the video then your engine has already been replaced.

Because of the red dipstick? I thought that part became standard in the 2015s.

Originally Posted by Whammo

You do realize that if you engine goes (extremely unlikely that will happen) you get a new one for free?

I wasn't the poster this was directed at, but... it is a huge hassle if this happens. Dealing with a potentially dangerous failure, fighting with Hyundai to cover a rental (and probably getting stuck in a beat up Accent), waiting 6-8 weeks for the repair, submitting records (which I fortunately have neatly in a folder in my filing cabinet, and scanned to PDFs)...

FWIW: Kia may be doing things differently than Hyundai but my new long-block engine replacement in Dec '18 was NO hassle. Took 10 days, they required no records (which I do have), gave me a 2019 Optima to drive as a replacement and it was all at no charge. I got a forever warranty (unlimited miles, unlimited time, all owners) to boot. I paid for a new serpentine belt but that was at my request to change it. They even moved over all my bolt-on modifications. I am a happy camper. YMMV.

The Hyundai dealer replaced my son's motor in his Sonata at over 100,000 miles-because he took it in to the dealer before 100K and they told him it was OK. So-by him doing that it effectively lengthened the warranty. THEY PAID FOR A RENTAL for two weeks while waiting for a new motor. The new (rebuilt-whatever) were in short supply. No hassles what so ever at the dealer or manufacturer level.

You quote my entire post and reply with a one syllable three letter word. Hers's another just for you: Wow!

Though succinct I find that inquiry a mite vague at best. On the plus side none can accuse you of redundancy.
---

Not familiar with Joe, so ...
---

The factory, due to pressure from the US government, upped the warranty to 120K miles on the long block on earlier models. Kia supposedly replaces engines regardless of miles. At least that is what I've read.
--

The main issue with the Theta II 2.0T or 2.4 was failure of the number two rod bearing. It has been blamed on metal shavings left in oil jornals starving the bearing, the intake manifold design leaning out the number two cylinder & exclusive to the 2.0T the location of the turbocharger to the number two cylinder. There is also the issue of fuel dilution in the crankcase reservoir from either the Direct Injection and\or alleged weak piston rings.

There was a higher than industry standard percentage of engine failures for the Theta II regardless of exact cause.

Last edited:
Back