Hyundai Theta II Engine in Newer Years

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

I don't believe that's the case at all. Red should mean long block replacement. How did the oil change at the dealer go?

The dealer did not do a full analysis, I got the typical blow off "the tech says everything is normal", and maybe it is...

Originally Posted by smc733
SatinSilver said:
I don't believe that's the case at all. Red should mean long block replacement. How did the oil change at the dealer go?

The dealer did not do a full analysis, I got the typical blow off "the tech says everything is

You really need to go here and buddy up with these guys. A couple here are real Hyundai wrenches. Look for a guy who's handle is SBR 711. If he say it, it's so..........

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/forums/yf-2011-2014-sonata-i45.222/

My 2015 Optima had a software upgrade to detect when the engine is failing using the knock sensor... Not really reassuring. A colleague had to replace the engine of her 2016 Sorento...

There is an acoustic test the dealers do to detect if the bearings are failing. They insert an microphone in the dipstick hole and the tablet analyze the recording automatically.

Originally Posted by DZello
My 2015 Optima had a software upgrade to detect when the engine is failing using the knock sensor... Not really reassuring. A colleague had to replace the engine of her 2016 Sorento...

There is an acoustic test the dealers do to detect if the bearings are failing. They insert an microphone in the dipstick hole and the tablet analyze the recording automatically.

Unfortunately, one of the things that REALLY makes me want to get rid of the car is just how much every single Hyundai dealer around here sucks. I fought and fought for them to scope my wife's Elantra with the lifter tick, even left it overnight so they could "do it in the AM" one day, and they just flat out did not do what they agreed to. "Meh, tech looked at it, nothing wrong, BTW want the $399 75k service????" We finally ditched that car for the Impreza, which she is much happier with.

My friend recently traded in their 2015 Sonata with 52k miles. The weird thing is it has the 1.6 twin turbo engine. Not sure if those are any better or worse than the 2.4. The Hyundai dealer where they bought it from offered a super low trade in amount so they went elsewhere. Even though it received a ton of preventative maintenance at the dealer. Kind of reaffirms what you said about Hyundai dealers. They traded it for an Encore. Here's the car:

https://www.drivejoyce.com/VehicleD...nata-4dr_Sdn_1.6T_Eco-Avon-OH/3545020423

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
My friend recently traded in their 2015 Sonata with 52k miles. The weird thing is it has the 1.6 twin turbo engine. Not sure if those are any better or worse than the 2.4. The Hyundai dealer where they bought it from offered a super low trade in amount so they went elsewhere. Even though it received a ton of preventative maintenance at the dealer. Kind of reaffirms what you said about Hyundai dealers. They traded it for an Encore. Here's the car:

https://www.drivejoyce.com/VehicleD...nata-4dr_Sdn_1.6T_Eco-Avon-OH/3545020423

They're so undesirable, even Hyundai dealers don't want them back. The Eco model is interesting, on one hand, it has the Gamma engine, which doesn't have issues, but it has the 7spd DCT automatic, which has some problems of its own.

Was quoted $6,800 on my trade for this, which the dealer priced at $17,510 when I stopped in. I'm still thinking about it:
https://www.primetoyotart2.com/used-Lancaster-2016-Toyota-Camry-XLE-4T1BK1FK3GU574737

girlfriends 18 kia optima 2.4L is WAY better than her bought new oil burning 13malibu 2.5L for now!!!

Our 2016 Hertz rental we bought is such an incredible car. I have a Lexus SC400 in the garage. Love to drive it occasionally, but this Optima is faster, quieter, brakes better, etc. gets better mpg. An awesome car.The Lexus is for sale...... Reminds me when Toyota came into the market-had to really show what they were capable of. I hope this engine stuff gets sorted out tho.

I've decided to keep the Sonata for now. It drives too nicely and just hasn't given me any trouble. I'll keep my eye on it and have faithful 5k oil changes with semi-sun and OEM oil filters. I'll plan to get more life out of it to ~120k (which will take long with my now much, much shorter commute). I enjoy having a car that is a little bit worn since I work in the city and regularly get door dings. I suspect if I stay tuned in to oil levels/noises, it's unlikely there will be a spontaneous failure.

Thanks all for the input.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I'm changing my 2.4GDI with major brand full synthetic every 4K. My wife's new Soul 2.0 is non-GDI and that I'll let go for 5K OCIs.

I see you're using NAPA Proselect filters on the 2.4. Are you satisfied with their performance over the OEM filter?

First time user smc. The jury has not been summoned yet to decide it's fate.
They look very similar to OEM. They have a silicone ADBV. It's the toughest looking ProSelect I've ever encountered. I'll examine them further after the Spring drain.

Last edited:
Although Hyundai/Kia is bottom of the line junk, I would keep it since they already have your money and may as well run it until it dies then junk it. Would be cheaper in the long run.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Although Hyundai/Kia is bottom of the line junk, I would keep it since they already have your money and may as well run it until it dies then junk it. Would be cheaper in the long run.

hahaha...... you're funny!

If you actually talk to mechanics who work on all brands of cars, you would not get any agreement with that statement, at least if we are talking post-2010 KIA.

He looks for hyundai/kia threads to repeat this statement.

My hyundai has been a more reliable car that the gm/ford cars i have owned.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Nothing like listening to a Chevy piston slapper in the early morning.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Lol yea, these American car fanatics kill me. His Mexican made Silverado is less reliable than most Japanese/Korean cars, the statistics show it. Gotta love people who plug their ears and ignore facts.

Chevy does well on initial quality surveys, but it's all downhill from there.

1. The weird thing is it has the 1.6 twin turbo engine. ]

It's twin scroll which allows for two cylinders per exhaust runner to apply exhaust gas stream to two separate areas of the turbine vanes. It enhances low end response. The new 1.6T has CVVD. CVVT is handy though old hat, but THAT is trick.

The Theta II also incorporates shimless, or might that be shim free, buckets, solid lifters on slimfast, for happy revving. Service is supposed to occur at 60K miles. Just a set cost two and half bills, tax not included, online OEM. You're getting the one-two combo platter of high pressure mechanical fuel pump, via rotating cam, combined with valve clatter with a side of low ZDDP thin auto oil. The valve noise is too much lash. Which is debatable if you now have smaller intake passageways due to lack of conventional petrol wash due to DI. Forgetaboutit.

The oft maligned Theta II combined with turbocharger is Mighty Mouse. I know a guy that that likes OC full synthetic, a blend no less perish the thought, of 3300 miles. He has an oil guy, no his name isn't Bob, that comes over to his house performing the service.

They say the engine has over 100K miles, sees mid 20's PSI regularly peaking close to 30. That's around 60Hg. He also claims to blend his petrol; no sense in stopping the party at OC. He claims 306 HP at the crank because the new Civic R boasts 305. I heard he suckered a kid in a little Veloster N, 275 HP, electric solenoid intake CVVT[ hydraulic CVVT exhaust], electronic LSD and manual 6 speed; not to mention less weight, to an impromptu match.

This old dude, being devious employing treachery at will, romped on the gas whilst the lad was two car lengths shy. Whadd-ya talkin-about, let da yute pull him from a dead stop or slow roll. He merely did not properly time JJ 'da boss' arm drop. A lesson was learned as junior received a double helping of petrol rich oil blowby worthy of diesel standards through four gears before the old dude got off the throttle. This allowed the youngster to 'pass him' eventually saving some if little face in his yet fully developed mind.

Sounds as a pea thrasher, blows soot like a semi and scalded apes wish they ran this fast.

You say to-ma-toe I say ta-matah. You say junk, I say line 'em up...​

Last edited:
It's twin scroll which allows for two cylinders per exhaust runner to apply exhaust gas stream to two separate areas of the turbine vanes. It enhances low end response. The new 1.6T has CVVD. CVVT is handy though old hat, but THAT is trick.

The Theta II also incorporates shimless, or might that be shim free, buckets, solid lifters on slimfast, for happy revving. Service is supposed to occur at 60K miles. Just a set cost two and half bills, tax not included, online OEM. You're getting the one-two combo platter of high pressure mechanical fuel pump, via rotating cam, combined with valve clatter with a side of low ZDDP thin auto oil. The valve noise is too much lash. Which is debatable if you now have smaller intake passageways due to lack of conventional petrol wash due to DI. Forgetaboutit.

The oft maligned Theta II combined with turbocharger is Mighty Mouse. I know a guy that that likes OC full synthetic, a blend no less perish the thought, of 3300 miles. He has an oil guy, no his name isn't Bob, that comes over to his house performing the service.

They say the engine has over 100K miles, sees mid 20's PSI regularly peaking close to 30. That's around 60Hg. He also claims to blend his petrol; no sense in stopping the party at OC. He claims 306 HP at the crank because the new Civic R boasts 305. I heard he suckered a kid in a little Veloster N, 275 HP, electric solenoid intake CVVT[ hydraulic CVVT exhaust], electronic LSD and manual 6 speed; not to mention less weight, to an impromptu match.

This old dude, being devious employing treachery at will, romped on the gas whilst the lad was two car lengths shy. Whadd-ya talkin-about, let da yute pull him from a dead stop or slow roll. He merely did not properly time JJ 'da boss' arm drop. A lesson was learned as junior received a double helping of petrol rich oil blowby worthy of diesel standards through four gears before the old dude got off the throttle. This allowed the youngster to 'pass him' eventually saving some if little face in his yet fully developed mind.

Sounds as a pea thrasher, blows soot like a semi and scalded apes wish they ran this fast.

You say to-ma-toe I say ta-matah. You say junk, I say line 'em up...​
Huh?

Back