Hyundai Santa Fe and Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine is buying a new car. She is torn between the Santa Fe and the Ford Escape. Any of you guys own either one? If so how do you like them?

I have no experience with either, but I think the Santa Fe looks very sharp, and Hyundai has come a long way. If it were me I would go with it.

They're not really in the same class, I believe the Santa Fe is more of a competitor with the Ford Explorer. So definitely more space in the Santa Fe.

I don't own either but my sister owns an Escape with the 1.6 Ecoboost. They love it so far with 22K miles. The onboard computer said 21.5mpg when I visited them and that's with LA traffic and my sisters "spirited" driving habits. They have no complaints except that in the future, they may need more space with their two kids and dog. They pack way too much [censored] on trips though
smile.gif

I would tell your friend that if she needs more space, go with the Santa Fe. Both seem like good vehicles, the choice should go to which one is more practical for her needs and of course how she likes them plays into it as well.

The Santa Fe was her first choice as she likes more room. She is always hauling things around. She is a single woman with grown kids so that's not an issue,

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
The Santa Fe was her first choice as she likes more room. She is always hauling things around. She is a single woman with grown kids so that's not an issue,

If she's comparing room, it would be unfair to compare the two. The Escape competes with the Tucson (a smaller vehicle than the Santa Fe). The same could be said about features. And the Santa Fe would most likely cost more than the Escape.

Originally Posted By: Ken42
Think grandkids
wink.gif

Also the Hyundai has a better warranty.

I have no idea. However, Ford allows you to buy a 100K Basic warranty Ford ESP, for about $755. Ford also has pretty basic maintenance requirements, so you don't have to jump through hoops to keep the warranty in effect. Factor that in to make an apples to apples comparison.

P.S. I should explain that Ford sells after market factory warranties. They allow any dealer to sell a warranty to any Ford buyer. So there are dealers (really independent guys working under the dealer name) who sell the warranties cheap over the internet. The one I checked was Floodford esp. There are others.

Last edited:
Aftermarket warranty is not the same. The coverage is always somewhat limited versus the manufacturer warranty. Aftermarket warranty is not a dealership warranty either, a third party servicer makes decisions about coverage for a repair, and must be contacted for a claim each time that a repair is needed. If the claims department declines the repair, you will be stuck with a diagnostic charge for the shop time. You also might have a deductible that must be paid each time a repair is performed.
From my experience, Hyundai will usually give service managers some leeway to "goodwill" a repair if the repair is not too expensive and the vehicle is not too far out of warranty. Hyundai DPSM's may also agree to cover larger, non-warranty repairs on a case by case basis.
Go with the Hyundai for the guarantee of a good warranty, and a company that cares about their customers. Hyundai's goal is, and I quote, is "...to become the most loved car company in the world." This is part of their recent mission statement.

Think grandkids
wink.gif

And she'll most likely need it. It was just a few years ago that Hyundai was a cheaply built entry level car. Until they prove themselves with long lasting, reliable cars, I'd avoid them.

All I can say is my Escape is the best vehicle I have owned. I have had zero and I mean zero issues at 10 years 111,000 miles . Nothing but maintenance items and it still drives almost like new,everything works. I am afraid I will come out one day and the car will have self destructed, never had a car like this.

Originally Posted By: whip
Think grandkids
wink.gif

And she'll most likely need it. It was just a few years ago that Hyundai was a cheaply built entry level car. Until they prove themselves with long lasting, reliable cars, I'd avoid them.

We owned 2 Hyundais in the past. Both were extremely reliable. They don't make the Excel anymore. Get with the times.

Originally Posted By: whip
Think grandkids
wink.gif

Have you ever owned or driven one? You seem to bash them in posts a lot..

Ford's own ESP is a great program. I know a few people with 5 or 6 year old Hyundais and they seem to be good cars - they had to have a few warranty repairs >80K miles and didn't have a problem

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
We owned 2 Hyundais in the past. Both were extremely reliable. They don't make the Excel anymore. Get with the times.

It's true. We got a Tucson as a rental on a recent trip to Colorado and I was very impressed. I had never considered Hyundai to be a serious car maker before but that Tucson took us all over Colorado without breaking a sweat.

I think both of these choices are good vehicles. Go with the one she likes and if she likes them both buy the one you can get a better deal on.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
All I can say is my Escape is the best vehicle I have owned. I have had zero and I mean zero issues at 10 years 111,000 miles . Nothing but maintenance items and it still drives almost like new,everything works. I am afraid I will come out one day and the car will have self destructed, never had a car like this.

Can't say I had the same experience with my '02 Escape V6, AWD. After 8 years and 80,000 miles (well cared for), it just became too unreliable, new trans, convertor, COP dying - traded it for a 2010 Corolla.

The problem is that they weren't making the current Escape 10 years ago. Only the name is the same.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966

The problem is that they weren't making the current Escape 10 years ago. Only the name is the same.

But the current Escape is selling better than the old Escape ever did. That's not an indication of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back