Toyota Forces purchase decision a little early/Hyundai Santa Fe traded in......

CKN

So-the size (width- vehicle has to be 76" or under) of my garage dictates what vehicles my wife can purchase next. She was adamant she also wanted to keep a seven seat configuration (grandkids)-like her 2017 Santa Fe XL . There were only two choices. The Highlander or Kia Sorento. There is alot of controversy about the DCT in the KIA. Then- Toyota does away with the 3.5 in the Highlander this year and replaces it with a turbo four that has very little benefit to the consumer. There is also a rumor that the 3rd row will be done away with in the standard Highlander now that the GRAND HIGHLANDER is being made. The Grand Highlander would have been too big for the garage. It was decision time. Came across this (essentially new) 2022 Highlander XLE-AWD that had only 8,400 miles on it at the Nissan dealer. It was a fair deal-no great deals these days. The vehicle has the remainder of the Toyota factory warranty. For all those who harp about resale value on Hyundai's - after almost 7 years the Santa Fe retained 52% of it's original purchase price upon trade in. Better pics to follow if the weather ever gets any warmer around here!
PXL_20230326_020354108.jpg
PXL_20230326_020410652.MP.jpg

Last edited:
2017 seems relative new, why the change??

If we would have waited-the Highlander wouldn't have been available with the 3.5 later-or possibly the third seat-except used with higher miles.

Good looking vehicle, congrats!

To be fair I don't think the resale value is necessarily a positive reflection on Hyundai, however, because resale values are high across the board right now.

What engine is in this highlander?

I know you said you changed bc of what is available; but if the 2017 was still running fine and had no problems, why not keep it another 5-6 years? Well maintained vehicles should easily last 12 years these days. Sounds like you manufactured a reason bc you wanted a new car, when there was nothing wrong with the current one?

Sounds like you manufactured a reason bc you wanted a new car, when there was nothing wrong with the current one?
Some people like to remodel their kitchen every decade or so.....just to freshen things up. The same approach is being taken here.

It sounds like the OP can more than afford it, so how he spends his money is his business.

I know you said you changed bc of what is available; but if the 2017 was still running fine and had no problems, why not keep it another 5-6 years? Well maintained vehicles should easily last 12 years these days. Sounds like you manufactured a reason bc you wanted a new car, when there was nothing wrong with the current one?
Because the financed amount would have been much greater than what it is today. I'm guessing keeping the Hyundai another 5 or 6 years would have resulted in an $800.00/month car payment on a replacement vehicle. Keeping the current vehicle and NOT GETTING the motor or (possibly vehicle) I wanted was an option. That would have left the KIA. And a (new) Highlander MAY NOT EXIST in a seven seat configuration either in the future. The width/length specifications (see my original post) are of utmost importance.

Last edited:
You don’t know that! No-one knows exactly what finance rates and vehicle supply will be in 5 years. But you will be saving payments for those 5 or so years until then!

You don’t know that! No-one knows exactly what finance rates and vehicle supply will be in 5 years. But you will be saving payments for those 5 or so years until then!

But it's possible the vehicle itself as a seven seat configuration wouldn't exist. Not to mention the 3.5 motor.

True, if you narrow it down to ‘I have to have a Toyota 7-passenger SUV powered by a V-6 and nothing else’ then maybe the choice makes sense. But it’s an artificial criteria you put on the vehicle search to make your decision make sense.

True, if you narrow it down to ‘I have to have a Toyota 7-passenger SUV powered by a V-6 and nothing else’ then maybe the choice makes sense. But it’s an artificial criteria you put on the vehicle search to make your decision make sense.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Side note - is that 3rd row even usable? The last HL I looked at - the 3rd row is pretty much pointless. It is too small for adults and barely usable for a booster seat.

It's useable for the grandkids-until they are old enough to want nothing to do with their parents or grandparents! No boosters seats now. The oldest is a fifth grader. Just to cart around town. To the mall, etc.

Back