Hyundai - Kia warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
After owning several American, Japanese... etc... etc... cars, all I can tell you is that those Korean cars die soon. Why, I don't know. A few make it past 100,000 miles and normally those make it till 200,000 sometimes.

Wouldn't bother buying a Korean car.

Hogwash.

I think the Hyundai warranty is a marketing tool. In my case it was very important when purchasing. When you put that that with price and features I do not think I could have done better. They do strongly suggest you do all your service at the dealership. I have a feeling most people comply especially the non-DYI owners.

My 09 Sonata has been great, no issues other than a Tkata airbag recall and a light switch recall ( which i had fixed). Been coast to coast twice with it and my maintenance has been minimal. I change my own oil and fluid and I replaced the brakes and battery once. Only time it has been in a shop is for recall work. Tuscan runs well, but I prefer the AWD of our Forester better on snow and ice. The Tuscon AWD seems slower to react. My Tuscon has pretty extensive hail damage though, but I am not fixing that. Most Kias and hyundias are pretty decent cars. The 2011 Sonanta is a car to avoid according to the last issue of Consumer digest.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
My 09 Sonata has been great, no issues other than a Tkata airbag recall and a light switch recall ( which i had fixed). Been coast to coast twice with it and my maintenance has been minimal. I change my own oil and fluid and I replaced the brakes and battery once. Only time it has been in a shop is for recall work. Tuscan runs well, but I prefer the AWD of our Forester better on snow and ice. The Tuscon AWD seems slower to react. My Tuscon has pretty extensive hail damage though, but I am not fixing that. Most Kias and hyundias are pretty decent cars. The 2011 Sonanta is a car to avoid according to the last issue of Consumer digest.

I don't know if it should be avoided or not. However-all consumer type magazines vary in how they do their research.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: BJD78

I don't know if it should be avoided or not. However-all consumer type magazines vary in how they do their research.

I have read hours of post regarding 2011+ Sonanta and Elantra motors being replaced with low miles. It is a bit scary. It seems like every manufacturer has their good years and screw ups. I am just hoping I have one of the good years. That being said not everyone is affected. The dealership I go to has a 2011 Sonata on the showroom floor with close to 500k miles with a sign saying it still runs good. Despite a longer warranty Hyundai quality issues or how warranty was handled ensured some owners will never buy that brand again.

My first new car was an '87 Excel that I bought for $5900 OTD with only a basic warranty, brake pads that needed replacing every 20K miles, a burr in the clutch cable tube that frayed and snapped the cable at 35K miles, and a couple other niggling problems before my incessant beating of the car destroyed it at 114K miles when it threw a rod.

I compare that car to my 2013 Accent commuter which has been totally problem-free with still original battery, no GDI-related issues, no recalls, no Takata airbag, and I can almost effortlessly change the oil myself ( versus some problem cars I've owned ). At this point, I have the warranty but don't feel I need it versus 1987-91 when I didn't have the warranty and needed it. When someone mentions the 100K mile warranty, independent of how much marketing gimmick it is, I think of the difference between those two cars and not necessarily the warranty itself.

I still have my 2011 Kia Optima. I used the warranty for a few small things like rattles and seat covers but nothing major. The car still has the original battery. I would not hesitate to buy another Kia. I love the look of the new Stinger.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They do have good OE batteries. Still on my original ones in both cars.

My former '04 Elantra batteries (two of them) died at 4 years old....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Mine were Korean batteries. Was your Elantra built in the USA? Then again Hyundai really upped the quality at the 2006-2008 mark.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Wow, getting ten years out of a battery is something.What is your secret?
Nothing really other than not letting it sit discharged. The Accent runs at 14.5 after starting and trickles down to 13.8 after about an hour of driving. The hotter it is the lower the voltage too.

I thought this winter it was going to need replaced as it cranked a little slower, then I remembered I went to a 5w30 oil instead of the 0w20 I use to run the first 125k miles.

My Gen Coupe I don't drive in the winter but boost the battery every month or so.

Mine were Korean batteries. Was your Elantra built in the USA? Then again Hyundai really upped the quality at the 2006-2008 mark.

What the dealer put in. I'm going to assume Korean.
Elantra was Korean built.

What the dealer put in. I'm going to assume Korean.
Elantra was Korean built.
I bet they are made in USA batteries. Both mine are made in Korea.

One is a Pilot and the other is a Rocket for brand names.

Having owned 3 Hyundai vehicles I can say they have been generally good and reliable. We have put hundreds of thousands of km on ours with many road trips from Canada to Florida and Texas. However Hyundai does NOT like to fix under warranty and will fight. Also obvious manufacturing flaws will not be recalled until they are sure most of those cars are off the road. It is what it is, everything is a trade off.

weird didnt hyundai have a warranty scandal where dealers throwing in new engines left and right to get that repair money from corporate

After owning several American, Japanese... etc... etc... cars, all I can tell you is that those Korean cars die soon. Why, I don't know. A few make it past 100,000 miles and normally those make it till 200,000 sometimes.

This is why it's good to ask for advice outside of BiTOG. This opinion is probably based on 15 year old experience.

Other gems here:
-CVT and GDI are the spawn of the devil
-Change my oil every 3k or I'd rather not live
-'MURICAN are still the best, they're just now coming around to those Japanese cars
-Michelin is the only tire worth buying. If you buy any other tire, it will blow out on the highway, and you WILL die.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Hogwash.

I sold my '04 Elantra at 98k miles, with a trans rebuild at 78k miles (probably from the 2-3 flare).
very good shape, no rust around, even if non-garaged most of it's life.

The craiglist compares where 120k+ miles and rust around on the back wheels housing....
the hyundai forums had a lot of 200k+ miles, including one on original belt (supposed to change at 60k/90k depending on CA regulations built)

Hogwash.

I sold my '04 Elantra at 98k miles, with a trans rebuild at 78k miles (probably from the 2-3 flare).

The craiglist compares where 120k+ miles and rust around on the back wheels housing....
the hyundai forums had a lot of 200k+ miles, including one on original belt (supposed to change at 60k/90k depending on CA regulations built)

I will agree that the older Korean cars were not top notch. Hyundai and Kia quality really went up after 2010.

Last edited:

Hogwash.

I will agree that the older Korean cars were not top notch. Hyundai and Kia quality really went up after 2010.

It went up after 2006 and continued to go up after 2010, even with the various problems.

I give my car as a sample of lemon going wrong, while rusted cars all around me chugged along at 120k+ miles, sometimes with all original equipment (Timing belt and all).....
At the time of my purchase, the elantra was the lowest priced under-dog....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back