Hyundai - Kia warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
After owning several American, Japanese... etc... etc... cars, all I can tell you is that those Korean cars die soon. Why, I don't know. A few make it past 100,000 miles and normally those make it till 200,000 sometimes.

Wouldn't bother buying a Korean car.

It's the same 5/10 year deal that Mitsubishi have been doing for many years here. Maybe they still have some apron strings to Mitsubishi.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
A quick search reveals many, many complaints about the KIA/ hyundai warranty on "consumer affairs website. Many instances of where they find a way to "weasel out" of honoring that warranty or low ball a claim, refuse to pay for car rental, etc. More of a gimmick, but probably no worse or better than any other automaker warranty. They all want to weasel out of paying when they can.

Very true. PLENTY of other stories about Ford citing "bad fuel" for diesel warranty denials. Then you have GM and their AFM failures that are hard to get them repaired under warranty as well.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
After owning several American, Japanese... etc... etc... cars, all I can tell you is that those Korean cars die soon. Why, I don't know. A few make it past 100,000 miles and normally those make it till 200,000 sometimes.

I'm sorry....did I miss where you have ownership experience of a "Korean" vehicle? I see...etc., etc., but I don't see "Korean".

Personally with Ford's track record of Diesels (and warranty issues) on anything after their 7.3's-I'd never by a diesel from Ford-etc., etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: pandus13
May I suggest instead posting the models you are interested on?

Some BITOG members may have already experience with them (ownership or working on them)

also hyundaiforums is a good resource for research.

What is your local dealership availability?

The warranty is what caught my eye but I am in the market for a small SUV, tucson,santa fe or sportage, sonata by these makers as opposed to something like a Ford Escape. Then again I am not sure if I want to be disowned by family members for buying a "foreign" car, I do live in Detroit after all. I am leaning heavily towards the Escape, I have a 2004 now.

when GM executives who made millions each year in the 80s made junk cars, THEY should have been disowned for taking their salaries. the japanese work them up (some)

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
which car is better Hyundai or Kia?
whats the labor rate, they should be able to make a better car

My Son has a Sonata and it just crossed 100,000 miles with zero issues. There was one recall on it. About a year ago I bought a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe Limited XL for my wife. It currently has 12,000 miles on it. I had one issue with the electronic tailgate. The power train (especially the transmission) is one of the smoothest I have owned.

It has been to So. Cal once from the Salt Lake Area-and a extended vacation through Monument Valley (taking you through literally the middle of no where-the great West)-Santa Fe, New Mexico, the Grand Canyon, and through the "Arizona Strip" to St. George, Utah, and then return to Salt Lake.

So-yea I'm an owner and actually have experience-plus my Son's experience. I really can't tell Hyundai how they could make a better CUV-because we are perfectly satisfied thus far with our ownership experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
It's all about smart marketing.

Statistically, they know the average owner won't keep the vehicle past 3-4yrs and ~60K miles, where little to nothing goes wrong. The 10yr/100K mile warranty does not apply to subsequent owners unless it's immediate family (as far as I recall).

I believe upon the second owner the power train warranty reverts to like 50 or 60 thousand. However-they have "certified used" that takes the warranty out longer-just like several other manufacturers.

https://m.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/Powertrain Limited Warranty Provisions Form.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: BJD78
A quick search reveals many, many complaints about the KIA/ hyundai warranty on "consumer affairs website. Many instances of where they find a way to "weasel out" of honoring that warranty or low ball a claim, refuse to pay for car rental, etc. More of a gimmick, but probably no worse or better than any other automaker warranty. They all want to weasel out of paying when they can.

Very true. PLENTY of other stories about Ford citing "bad fuel" for diesel warranty denials. Then you have GM and their AFM failures that are hard to get them repaired under warranty as well.

Don't forget the 3.6 timing chain fiasco.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: pandus13
May I suggest instead posting the models you are interested on?

Some BITOG members may have already experience with them (ownership or working on them)

also hyundaiforums is a good resource for research.

What is your local dealership availability?

The warranty is what caught my eye but I am in the market for a small SUV, Tucson, Santa Fe or Sportage, Sonata by these makers as opposed to something like a Ford Escape. Then again I am not sure if I want to be disowned by family members for buying a "foreign" car, I do live in Detroit after all. I am leaning heavily towards the Escape, I have a 2004 now.

Understood. But ... I'd be all over a higher-end off-lease vehicle, and negotiate an extended warranty because of possible miss-use during lease ...

A nice Lincoln would be sweet
smile.gif

Last edited:
We have had good service from our elantra. The struts/shock seem to be the only issue i have. They are worn out at 66k. I'm used to going 75k or so. We have had one warranty repair , done without question. My son also has and elantra very pleased.

We looked at the KIA Sportage and the Hyundai Tuscon. The KIA seemed the better of the two. I don't know if it was just the one we test drove, but the Tucson had lots of body creaks and noises.

We went with the Mazda CX-5 as overall it was a better riding handling vehicle.

Many Hyundai cars are 100% designed and made in the USA.

Vehicles

Hyundai Sonata - MY2006 to present
Hyundai Elantra - MY2011 to present
Hyundai Santa Fe - MY2007 to MY2010 / 2016 to present
Hyundai Santa Fe - MY2010 to present Transferred to Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia in September 2010). Shared production with Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia started June 21, 2016.

Engines

Hyundai Lambda engine (until March 2011)
Hyundai Theta engine (Theta II engine)
Hyundai Nu engine

I remember reading somewhere that when Hyundai sales went downhill because of their quality issues in late 90s early 2000s, their CEO said they'll offer 100k warranty and either made a comeback or the whole corp go down together, so the guys better get their act together.

I'd buy one but won't pay a premium for that warranty. Consider most boring Toyota in the same class is about $3k more and have no concerns going 100k or more.

Just don't buy the extended warranties that are third party insurance policies.

My Accent needed an axle seal at around 60k. Only warranty work I've had done other than recalls.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I remember reading somewhere that when Hyundai sales went downhill because of their quality issues in late 90s early 2000s, their CEO said they'll offer 100k warranty and either made a comeback or the whole corp go down together, so the guys better get their act together.

I'd buy one but won't pay a premium for that warranty. Consider most boring Toyota in the same class is about $3k more and have no concerns going 100k or more.

Anybody who buys a "certified used" car from any manufacturer pays for that certification. It's built in to the price-as is any other warranty- "new" or otherwise.

Last edited:
Four Hyundai and two approached 100K miles. Never had an issue where i needed to use it.

I was considering this very situation recently.

Aftwr posting on here and reading different viewpoints I think its just trying to keep customers payijg through the nose at Kia Dealers.

The Warranty is slightly different in the UK.

Kia is 100k miles and 7 Years.

Hyundai is 5 Years but I don't know the mileage restriction.

3 Years unlimited miles is fairly common now.

Jaguar Land Rover have had that for years now, not sure since when but my 2011 Jaguar was like that.

VAG are unusual in the premium sector by only having a 3 Yr 60k Mile Warranty and thats why so few Chauffeurs have the A8 I suspect.

Which Korean cars have you owned?

Everybody I know of that has owned Korean reports excellent reliability.

Years ago they were not a modern or refined as competitors so competed more on price.

Every car will have common issues. Amd require maintenance and repairs at some point.

Maybe things are different in the UK and Europe?

A large number of Kia and Hyundais are Made in Korea though i think some Kias are Made in Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
Hyundai and Kia make good cars. They offer longer warranties because people will buy their car because of the warranty. It pays for itself.

I’ve had mine for 13 months and 22k miles. Runs and drives like new, only “repair” was a new battery when the car was 3-1/2 years old, batteries usually only make it to 3 here in Phoenix.

crackmeup2.gif

Because "owning several American, Japanese... cars" makes the rest of your post legit. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back