Hyundai and Kia

Obligatory:
baltimore_hk_thefts_one_day.jpg

Had a Sonata for a year. Very nice and comfortable car. Texan Hyundai was an excellent dealer. No interaction since but no reason to think they changed. Truthfully though I will never have anything except Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, GMC, Honda and Toyota from now on as that is what Classic Galveston sells and I will never buy anywhere else again. Good luck.
I can appreciate your dealer loyalty. It's probably more important than the brand you buy. In North Texas we have the Sewell dealerships which have a great reputation. My daughter bought a certified used Infiniti from their Dallas location and she absolutely loves them. Almost zero stress when buying, and excellent service since.

For service, she literally drives right past her nearest Infiniti dealer (which is 20 miles closer) because, well, they suck. We've used them three times for scheduled maintenance on my wife's car. They make it hard to speak to an actual human, and prefer to communicate via text from a phone number that isn't monitored. Simply bizarre. One of the text messages we always get from them warns us that our car needs $1,100 worth of wiper blades, air filter, trans fluid change, brake fluid change, etc. And the last time, they recommended a rear axle gear lube change for $370. And that's at only 32K miles on the odometer.

I may have just talked myself into looking at an SUV from one of the Sewell dealers.

My favorite uncle, from Garland, spoke well of Sewell dealers, especially Cadillac, back in the 70's and 80's. I believe they are likely the second best dealers in Texas, after mine. :)

My mother in law and sister in law have the Telluride. My kid has a Santa Fe hybrid. They’re all about a year old, and so far seem like fine cars.

They're so far behind they don't even have transponders in their keys!
I dunno about their gas stuff, but Hyundai/Kia EVs are tip of the spear. True 800v architecture, 20k+ rpm motors, Only Tesla and Koenigsegg are in that arena, ans Tesla is 400v architecture (still). All the VAG products rely on 2 speed transmissions and the Porsche 800v batteries have issues. Ford is so far behind the curve they're beyond the line of sight over the horizon. GM we have yet to see much of. Volvo and Polestar are similar to Ford. Tesla had serious quality issues. Every year since about 2017, Toyota releases lies about "their nearly ready solid state battery". Honda and Acura = GM. For gas engines? BMW has cracked the code, there. Suspension? MB AMG and Porsche, as well as BMW M.

I've heard Erik O on the SMA channel a few times over the years say that he likes Hyundai/kia service data if that means anything.

I would have more faith in these brands than the big 3 domestics.

Years ago I owned a 2008 Santa Fe 2.7 V6, 4at, AWD that I liked very much. I bought it cheap as an ex rental with 36k miles and owned it to 72k. In that time one ignition coil went out and 2 wheel bearings.

I have two. The old rust bucket '08 Accent has a couple winters left in it. Just put anew clutch in last fall. 190k miles now. I wish I could fine a new one just like it, 2 door with basic options with manual transmission and hatch back.

The other one is my tormented hot rod Genesis Coupe. Any repairs needed were my fault. It's been a good car though a few electrical gremlins with the wiring connectors. 32 mpg and plenty of power. Almost 140K miles on it. Going to finally replace the Brembo OE front rotors this week.

I dunno about their gas stuff, but Hyundai/Kia EVs are tip of the spear. True 800v architecture, 20k+ rpm motors, Only Tesla and Koenigsegg are in that arena, ans Tesla is 400v architecture (still).
Car & Driver Magazine would agree with you about Kia's EV technology. Have to wonder how Kim Jung Un's side of the 38th Parallel is progressing. Maybe they've been able to electrify a Trabant?

1690814434074.png

The answer to your question is simple once you sample the product. . If you drive and compare Hyundai/Kia to the other, you'll see why they sell well. Not only do they drive very nicely but their design and tactile qualities are well above.

I want to close the loop here: We ended up buying a Kia Telluride. After fifteen minute test drives in two different cars, I understood why it's been getting such good reviews by the automotive press. I could nit pick on a few things, but that's true for every car I've owned. My wife really likes it, so that's what counts!

BTW, our dealer is one of the best I've ever dealt with. Truly no games or high pressure. Moritz Kia in the Alliance area of North Ft. Worth, TX.

KIA is recalling certain '24 Tellurides . It posted the first of this month . May want to look into it at KIA website or N.H.T.S.A. . Enjoy your new vehicle .

Back