Hydrostatic Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to put a drain plug on nime. I know some Cub Cadets 1050's come with one, but I don't see any area on my case where I could drill and tap a hole.

JTK, your right they are a pain to get back in. I have a JD L110, I can have the axle out in 20 min, and I drilled the the control rods, so I can remove and re-install very easily.

There is a plug in top to fill it. Mine had a tube sticking out of the top for venting the hydraulic oil and a plug to change the gear oil, but they were both on top and it had to be upside down to drain it.

Originally Posted By: motorcity
If it is a Tuff Torque transaxle they have the oil capacities on their web site.

TT lists capacities for some, as does HydroGear. Both companies respond well to emails. I've dealt with both. Both excellent with respect to that IMO.

Joel

I could swear I posted this on Friday (seems my posts get deleted or lost or something)Any way,My CC LT 1045 which is really a 1046 because it has the 20hp V-twin,has a drain plug on the transaxle.But no way to get to the fill plug.(why do they do these stupid things anyway?)

That is ridiculous. There might be some creative ways around filling it through the downward facing drain, but they're not going to be mess free!

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
That is ridiculous. There might be some creative ways around filling it through the downward facing drain, but they're not going to be mess free!

Joel

I`m tellin ya joel,the fill plug is under the seat (which would be fine)then I could drill a hole to access it.But it`s also under the fuel tank as well,and no room to even get to it to loosen it up or anything.The dealer claims it doesnt have to be changed (yeah right)and to change it I`d have to remove the fenders etc.etc.It looks to me like the easiest way to do it,would be to simply drop the trans axle.

Last edited:
OOoo..OOOO!! Got an idea! How 'bout a Fumoto drain valve with the hose barb on it. Open the valve to drain it. Use some type of fluid pump w/ a hose on it. Shove that hose over the barb, put in the amount you took out, close the valve, remove hose. Might be an option?

Joel

OOoo..OOOO!! Got an idea! How 'bout a Fumoto drain valve with the hose barb on it. Open the valve to drain it. Use some type of fluid pump w/ a hose on it. Shove that hose over the barb, put in the amount you took out, close the valve, remove hose. Might be an option?

Joel

I don`t know.I might just lower the trans axle enough to access the plug.Maybe thats my best option?? I might not even have to disconnect the springs/levers doing it that way too.

Last edited:
Lowering it is going to require undoing the linkages, pulling the belt, etc. There's probably just the expansion tank or breather hose up top to fill through. If you could route a breather hose to a more accessible locale, that would be great. For an expansion tank refill? not sure.

Joel

My 17 year old Simplicity LTH was finally drained after 17 years..sample sent to Blackstone...oil was a diesel formulation of some sort.lots of zddp and mg+..while being dark.. it came back as "in very good shape" it was a 30wt oil...oil in those units can really stay in there a lot longer than one might otherwise think. It could have gone another 17 years with no problem...if water gets in it's another story...totally sealed units are probably better off too.

You know me..the guy who likes to change oil every weekend...but really on these type of units it's just plain not needed and actually if air gets in the system after the change.. the unit might be harmed as well. The gears will grind.

If the unit is noisey ...you have a reason..then do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591
My 17 year old Simplicity LTH was finally drained after 17 years..sample sent to Blackstone...oil was a diesel formulation of some sort.lots of zddp and mg+..while being dark.. it came back as "in very good shape" it was a 30wt oil...oil in those units can really stay in there a lot longer than one might otherwise think. It could have gone another 17 years with no problem...if water gets in it's another story...totally sealed units are probably better off too.

You know me..the guy who likes to change oil every weekend...but really on these type of units it's just plain not needed and actually if air gets in the system after the change.. the unit might be harmed as well. The gears will grind.

If the unit is noisey ...you have a reason..then do it.

yeah but pete,your talking about a very well built trans in your Simplicity.Today`s hydro`s are not near the same quality as yours.

and Pete's may have had some type of filtration and had a MUCH greater oil capacity than a lesser unit of today. It's definitely not advisable to never service a newer low oil capacity hydro. Wear materials build up and the ~2qts of oil degrade. Higher end units are a different animal all together.

Joel

Last edited:
and Pete's may have had some type of filtration and had a MUCH greater oil capacity than a lesser unit of today. It's definitely not advisable to never service a newer low oil capacity hydro. Wear materials build up and the ~2qts of oil degrade. Higher end units are a different animal all together.

Joel

The Simplicity LTH did not have a filter...4 qt capacity...what is the capacity of the untis you are referring to?

http://www.tufftorq.com/images/TTC-L&G-K46.pdf

It looks like you can open the fill cap and get a vaccuum pump out oil changer and suck the (warm) oil out....then refill with 10W-30 CD rated synthetic oil.

It may not get all the oil out...but probably a lot of it..especially if done yearly or every 50 hours. Driving the tractor onto a ramp will send the oil towards the oil fill hole.

Think it would work?

Obviously keeping the cooling fins clean is essential!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591

Joel

The Simplicity LTH did not have a filter...4 qt capacity...what is the capacity of the untis you are referring to?

About two Quarts pete.

Sorry for taking so long to reply as I was out of town. Today I put the mower back together and cut my front yard without having to get off and push it! I don't know what it was that made a difference as I put 15W50 oil in it with some oil in the expansion tank too. A new drive belt, checking to make sure I was getting full travel on the fwd/reverse pedal and linkage, and adding a spring on the tranny disengaement cog to make sure it stays fully ENGAGED. Still not quite to the level as new, but it works...Now, how do I post pics to show you I use DUCT TAPE and not velcro on the rear end? Or do I just send some pics to you personnaly? They will show how I relocated those springs allowing me to remove the four bolts, disconnect the brake and fwd/reverse lever, and belt to drop the rear end. Velcro! We ain't that advanced this fer south!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back