HVAC Coil Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I use pleated MERV8 filters sealed into the filter grills with foam weatherstripping. I clean the condenser coil annually, but previous checks of the evaporator revealed it to be very clean. I had to cut a "hatch" into my transition with tin snips to access it. I may check it again before the real heat kicks in, but filtration and sealing leaks around the filter housings will keep your evaporator very clean.
A clean evap coil is the goal. It means all air is passing through the filter. I had a lot of sealing to do with my return plenum to seal it up. It was drawing unfiltered hot/humid air from the attic down the stud wall!

While we're on the subject of evap-coil-cleaning, ditto for the auto.

I have to remove the pass. side lower panel, then the glove box, then the blower motor in order to see it. It usually stays pretty clean due to the pleated air filter. However, it does benefit from a good spray of TuffStuff or other aluminum-safe cleaner. I let it foam up for awhile, then rinse well enough to see if all is clean. This also gives a good flush to the evap box drain.

This treatment works great for older cars with a 'musty' smell. There you might need to spray it with Lysol or something similar to kill all of the mold/mildew first, then go back with an alkaline degreaser to cut the dirt, dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back