Recommendations for a Handheld Gas Blower

5 weeks ago I bought an Echo PB2520 and am very unhappy with it. It will not operate at full power or full throttle until the engine is completely warmed up. It takes 3 to 5 minutes to warm up. After it gets warmed up it blows with more force than any other hand held I have owned. I spend more time trying to get it warmed than I do using the blower. The problem is not a carb setting issue. Adjusting the carb will not correct the problem. I deeply wish I had bought the Huskqvarna.

5 weeks ago I bought an Echo PB2520 and am very unhappy with it. It will not operate at full power or full throttle until the engine is completely warmed up. It takes 3 to 5 minutes to warm up. After it gets warmed up it blows with more force than any other hand held I have owned. I spend more time trying to get it warmed than I do using the blower. The problem is not a carb setting issue. Adjusting the carb will not correct the problem. I deeply wish I had bought the Huskqvarna.
What fuel mix/oil are you running?

Time it for real. All my blowers with exception to my pair of PB-8010/PB-9010 take a full 2 min to warm up. They (4 stroke) a little until the crankcase gets up to temp. 3-5 min is excessive.

My Husky / Redmax 150bt takes a few minutes to warm up before it will take full throttle. I would not want to use full throttle/rpms until up to operating temp anyway . Doing that can cause premature wear to cold engine.

I use Amsoil Saber mixed 50 to 1. I can blow off my equipment and am ready to move on in 60 seconds. I had an old Craftsman 200 mph for the last 10 years and it would rev up and blow for 60 seconds and I was done. Wish I had it back.

This is very similar to my Stihl BG86 that I sold minus excepting the blowing force seemed weaker than what I was used to.

I got a Milwaukee cordless blower recently... its not as powerful as the gas models but it is handy as hell.

5 weeks ago I bought an Echo PB2520 and am very unhappy with it. It will not operate at full power or full throttle until the engine is completely warmed up. The problem is not a carb setting issue. Adjusting the carb will not correct the problem.

Many Echo carbs have a hidden high RPM screw in the center of the throttle cam or (more likely) between the fuel in and out lines. If yours does, pull off the cap (using a drill and self tapping screw) and adjust. You will love the results!

By the way, all modern 2 stroke equipment really does need to be "tuned" this way. Temperature, altitude, fuel quality, oil quantity and so on all affect jetting.

Also, using E10 fuel makes any properly jetted 2 stroke engine overly lean, as the ethanol does separate from the gasoline in the crankcase and won't vaporize until the crankcase is fully hot. Leading to possible octane problems and a strange lean/rich condition as the alcohol droplets inconsistently travel into the combustion chamber.

Also, the Husky uses the same type of carb and is subject to the same EPA tuning conditions.

Last edited:
Also, here is a video removing the ps-2520 carb limiter caps and adjusting the hi and low speed with the carb in place. It may or may not help the cold start performance.

I had seen that and mine can not be tuned out. I went even farther and went into the carb to measure the metering valve and check the needle. This one can not be improved. I use 100% gas without ethanol. Hate to hear that Husqvarna uses the same carb. Thanks for info.

Most of the online reviews say about 1-2 minutes before it warms up and will accept full throttle. This would depend on outside temp too, of course. A few mention "long" warm up, but no actual time. The commercial version PB-2620, which does have a different carb, seems to have similar warm up issue based on some online reviews.

It does not sound like a carb metering issue, but an EPA optimized engine design and may make the engine performance sensitive to other factors. Have you checked/changed out, spark plug gap, fuel, air filter etc.

Here is a online review showing the blower rpm before and after warm up .

Got a free Echo handheld which just needed fuel lines and a carb. Love it, for post mowing work it's great. Little underpowered for major leaf duty but that's why I have a Husky backpack.

Most of the online reviews say about 1-2 minutes before it warms up and will accept full throttle. This would depend on outside temp too, of course. A few mention "long" warm up, but no actual time. The commercial version PB-2620, which does have a different carb, seems to have similar warm up issue based on some online reviews.

It does not sound like a carb metering issue, but an EPA optimized engine design and may make the engine performance sensitive to other factors. Have you checked/changed out, spark plug gap, fuel, air filter etc.

Here is a online review showing the blower rpm before and after warm up .

My older PB250 exhibits this same behavior. Carb tuning would help but modern will have fixed jets. Probably a bit rich at startup as evidenced by the "four cycling" sound.

Did you buy this from Home Depot or from an Echo Dealer?
I bought an Echo SRM-2601 Trimmer back in 1998 that I still have from a dealer, same story as far as the Backpack Blower and Chainsaw that are also Echo's from the Dealer. I told them 2 make sure the Carburetor was dialed in right and they did whatever they did.

Did you buy this from Home Depot or from an Echo Dealer?
I bought an Echo SRM-2601 Trimmer back in 1998 that I still have from a dealer, same story as far as the Backpack Blower and Chainsaw that are also Echo's from the Dealer. I told them 2 make sure the Carburetor was dialed in right and they did whatever they did.
Still running a SRM-2100 SB from 1997. They just won't die. Solid equipment.

My old Echo PB2100 hand held has been flawless for at least 20 years. Echo Power blend at 50:1 exclusively.

I ran the Echo Powerblend for like 3 years and then went to Amsoil Saber Pro in the year 2000, what 2 stroke oil are you using in your SRM-2100?
Honestly it depends. Currently running Husqvarna oil. It's been a lot of different stuff over the years. I've gotten more selective as time goes on, so who knows what got put in during the early years. I was 9 when we bought it, haha.

The Echo gets my vote even though the OP probably already bought a blower by now. I bought the older PB250 version new 13 years ago and sold it after I inherited a Stihl SH85 shredder vac blower. I wish I hadn't done that, the PB250 had a ton of use on it, and I never had a single issue with it. I sold it to my former boss about 4 years ago and it still ran like the day I took it out of the box. That SH85 was almost new use wise, and it was temperamental even after a carb replacement and wouldn't hold a carb tune for very long. I sold that and bought a Husqvarna 125BVX factory refurbished for like half price of new since I use the shredder vac capability. That blower has been ok, it's got this weird intermittent idle and mid throttle surge at times that I can't tune out but it always starts easy and it blows well other than that, I don't use it much. I have an Echo PB-580T I use for most of the blowing, that thing has been great, I've had that one about 5 years now. I have also had several Echo trimmers, one SRM 2510 is approaching 30 years old now and has been run very hard and still runs like a top. I sorta did the same with an Echo SRM-230 I bought new in 2009, inherited a FS90R at the same time as that SH85 and that low use pile had been through 2 ignition coils, 2 carburetors, an on/off switch and wouldn't hold a valve or carb adjustment for very long. It ran great when it was all tuned up but it would only last about 3 weeks before I was working on it again. I sold my SRM-230 after I got that thing and same story, I really wish I never sold it. I had about 350 hours on that thing and I ran it like it was my last day every time I used it and never a single problem out of it and I had it so hot one time I got a second degree burn on my arm from the clutch cover once, but that engine never cared. It only had 5 PSI less compression when I sold it than when it was brand new and I ran a lot of crappy TCW3 outboard oil in that and the PB250 over the years. I bought an Echo SRM-266 to replace the FS90R, no problems in 4 years.

I am looking to get some recommendation for a handheld gas blower to quick clean up of decks, walk and driveway when I don't want to break out my backpack blower for bigger jobs . The handheld will probably get about 10-15 hrs/year use.

Two I am looking at are the Echo PB-2520 and Husky 125B at about $ 200. Both are consumer models and spec wise they are pretty close. Both have features removed from the similar "pro" versions : single piston ring, no chrome plated cylinder, cheaper carb, lower quality air filter, no rubber grip handle etc. If on-line reviews are any indication, looks like Husqvarna is having more of a share of problems with ignition coils and early wear out of piston rings.

Any one with experience with either of these or recommend something else?
Get a Stihl. My fs-38 isn't commercial grade but has been flawless for 5 plus years. Just a fuel filter needed replacement.

Back