Hurricane Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the oil refineries and chemical plants located along the Houston Ship Channel are in the early stages of restarting their process units. Oil prices may fall due to excess capacity, but gasoline prices will likely surge due to a lack of refining assets. Oil tankers are stacking up in the Gulf of Mexico because they have been unable to offload any oil.

Ike was much more destructive than any of us could have imagined. It may not have been the strongest hurricane, but Ike was immense and his winds literally blew brick walls off of buildings in my local community. About 75% of the traffic lights are still flashing red and 20% are not working at all. We have become accustomed to treating intersections without working traffic lights as 4-Way stops. About 1 million homes are still without electricity.

I live about 50 miles North of Galveston. My family and I survived the hurricane unharmed, but many to the South were not so fortunate. Shingle damage allowed rain to soak the insulation and drywall above my dining room, which then fell and created a new 8 foot "skylight" there. My wife and I were able to patch up the damage when the wind stopped blowing the next morning. Our temporary repairs should hold until the insurance adjuster calls. Stuff can be replaced, but people cannot.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Sorry to hear about your home, wish everything is going to be ok, and glad that your family is safe.

Sorry that it took so long to reply to this. Thank's for your concern. We lost stuff, but everyone in my family was unharmed. I weathered hurricane Hugo (Cat 5) while stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB when it struck South Carolina back in 1989 and I can tell you that Ike was much more destructive. Ike was rated 1-2 mph below a Cat 3 hurricane, but was an immense storm and blew entire brick walls off of buildings in my local community 50-60 miles North of Galveston.

I must praise my local government though, especially mayor White from Houston, as the response at the local level was amazing. I live in the City of South Houston, which is not part of Houston and we have our own city government, police force and fire station. The mayor's wife was actually going from door to door to provide updates and make sure that everyone was okay. Much was learned from Katrina and Houston did not have a lot of flooding.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks from Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsula are still missing. We are now being told that most of the missing will likely never be found. There are a lot of gut wrenching stories floating around about people that decided to stay and then realized that they had made a huge mistake. Some of these folks called their loved ones to tell them goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back