hps 2-cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new to the site .I was at a auction and i bout 9 cases 24 in a case 8 ounce bottles of hps 2-cycle high performance 100:1 oil is this good oil i payed $20.00 for 9 cases i am oil rich if its good oil what do you guys think
GEDC0597.jpg
GEDC0600.jpg
GEDC0601.jpg
GEDC0602.jpg

Hmmm good deal for sure but never heard of of it,did you do a google search on it? how old is the stuff?

i see it's TC-W spec??

yes couldn't find nothing that way i am here lol i heard that you guys are the best i think it is good seeing it is synthetic .I think it is around 1996 that what the shipping date is on the boxes thanks daman ps i hope it is good i have a lot of it lol

thanks daman i will keep you in mine i see you are in bad axe mi. if i am passing threw there i will pm you thank

Last edited:
i hope it it good i have about 9 machines that run 2 cycle oil win i was at the action there was one guy that was bidding on it and he was out at $15.00 i got it and i loaded it up .The action was in flint mi. the guy was a dune buggy builder he died in 92 and his kids took over the biz. they were hurting for money and they action off all the dune buggy parts . He also was the land speed reorder holder in the vw what a v 6 buick 3.8l his name is bob wildell from swartz creek mi.he had alot of cool staff . it was on craig list flint mi. under garage sale cool stuff

It is BIA TC-W spec 2 stroke oil, which is an older spec for water-cooled engines. This stuff should really only be used in an engine that specifically calls for TC-W, which would probably be an older 2-cycle outboard of some kind. Air-cooled engines calling for TC-spec oil run hotter and TC-W may burn off too early and not provide enough lubrication. If it's air cooled and calls for TC-W or TC-W3 (probably a newer model engine), this might be OK to use. Outboards calling for TC-W3 *may* run fine with this - it's better than nothing - but it won't provide the same level of protection that the manufacturer requires.

In reality, any 2 cycle will probably run with it, but it's really made to be matched with an engine that calls for TC-W oil. Anything else and the results are hard to predict. Just my humble opinion, though.

Last edited:
Right..

i don't like running TC-w spec oil's in my sleds not the right oil for the application,these two engines live and operate in whole different worlds hence the different specs.

HPS is a company founded in the 1980s by Nelson Solerno. The 2-Cycle oil you have is a rebrand of Hatcol 2226 from Hatco Corp (now Chemtura). It contains a unique, very high lubricity polyol ester, and set the industry on its ear when it passed the TC-W tests at 100:1 back in 1976. The BIA asked that the tests be repeated, and when it passed again they established a proposed new specification called TC-W-100. When no one else could pass it, the new category was abandoned.

This product was discontinued by Hatco around 1987 when they exited formulated automotive oils.

Really don't know how good it is after all these years, so try it with caution in some older equipment to start, perhaps at 50:1.

Tom NJ

Hmm interesting thanks tom,it's probably still good if seals and caps were tight,,i'd try some sure in OPE.

That is interesting i thought it was something cool for racers seening it cane from a race shop i will run it at 50:1 in my vintage snowmobile i have johndeeres (liquidator, cyclone ) it should work fine and weedwaker blower . I have 9 cases so i am good for years thanks( ton nj) for the info on this i could not pass up a good deal . My buddy's said what are you going to do what all that oil i said i am going to used it in all my 2 cycle motors he that i was crazy for buying it not for me that much for $20.00 dollars i am buying it thanks guys and i will post some more that i bout 3 cases of 1/2 gals i will post tomorrow thanks oil dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back