HPL Lubricants in jeep 3.6l question.

Quick question about hpl oils, I have a jeep with a 3.6l pentastar, now firstly I understand that pretty much any hpl oil would be more than good enough for my application, but if I wanted the “best” from hpl, would their “flagship” oil be the premium plus passenger car oil or their super car oil. The jeep can see anything from towing around 2500lbs in the dessert, or up mountain roads, to slow speed driving down a trail in the middle of a winter -10f day. Again not trying to make this a “best” oil thread, but at the same time I’m just a little confused as to whether hpl’s pppcmo or their super car oil is considered “better”. I would be looking at the pppcmo 5w30 or the super car 0w30 oils.

Thanks

or is the No VII HPL 5w-30 oil better?
I am wondering the same thing!
I am mostly concerned what would have the least amount of timing chain/component wear. Specifically in a 1GR-FE in an `18 T4Runner.

Last edited:
Any name brand oil will allow the engine to out live the rest of the car with proper maintenance and barring any mechanical problems caused by poor quality parts. ,Any of the HPL will allow the most extreme use and with out a second thought keep the parts separated and clean.

I am mostly concerned what would have the least amount of time chain/component wear. Specifically in a 1GR-FE in an `18 T4Runner.
Any quality will be fine on the Toyota.

I’ve ran PCMO premium plus and currently have HPL “Overkill” Supercar 0w20 in mine. The Supercar 0w30 has a higher HTHS, 3.5 vs 3.0.

I am mostly concerned what would have the least amount of timing chain/component wear. Specifically in a 1GR-FE in an `18 T4Runner.
I’m putting my money that No VII is the true King of the Hill, if you will, but since they’re all essentially on the ground floor at HPL, you can’t go wrong.

My perspective as a similar owner is that many 5W30’s are =/> than the 0W20’s for that port injection + mild output DOHC engine …
Sorry - just don’t get 0W20 “supercar” … HPL would have an excellent “30” if you really want their nectar …

So general consensus is all hpl oil are great, which I already assumed, but the supercar would be above the premium plus pcmo if they were on a tiered list. Just out of curiosity where would their euro pcmo rank in comparison to the supercar and the premium plus oils, or is there really no “ranking” just different oils for different applications when talking about those three?

So general consensus is all hpl oil are great, which I already assumed, but the supercar would be above the premium plus pcmo if they were on a tiered list. Just out of curiosity where would their euro pcmo rank in comparison to the supercar and the premium plus oils, or is there really no “ranking” just different oils for different applications when talking about those three?
All of the HPL chemistries are modified (boosted) to some extent.

SuperCar 0W30 starts with a full SAPS additive package, which is arguably an older chemistry. MB 229.5 type.

Premium Plus line uses a current API/ILSAC chemistry as the foundation.

Euro 0W30 uses an additive pack that was built for VW 504/C30

Any will work in your Jeep and it is unlikely that you will find any measurable difference in wear. However, some may argue that the newer VW 504/C30 chemistries are more advanced and use some ashless anti-wear chemistries that are not visible in a UOA/VOA....and therefore the price is reflective of this.

edit: noticed you were only looking at 30-wts.

Last edited:

SuperCar 0W30 starts with a full SAPS additive package, which is arguably an older chemistry. MB 229.5 type.

Any will work in your Jeep and it is unlikely that you will find any measurable difference in wear. However, some may argue that the newer VW 504/C30 chemistries are more advanced and use some ashless anti-wear chemistries that are not visible in a UOA/VOA....and therefore the price is reflective of this.

Thanks for the good info. (y)

How about the No VII PCMO oils?

Back