How would you feel on the interstate being followed by a driverless autonomous tractor trailer

Considering the semi next to me on my trip home from work yesterday had a driver that was very obviously texting and driving (No assumptions, saw it with my eyes) and was veering from 1/4 on the shoulder to a 1/4 in the lane to his left...

Can autonomous be worse?

Or the woman in a car on my way to work (Mon or Tues), that was very obviously using her phone in some capacity, propped up on the steering wheel.

Can autonomous be worse?

Or the literal countless number of drivers that I see every single week using their phones, not even looking at the road, in traffic, on the highway, etc, etc.

Can autonomous be worse?

As a society we are highlighting those that are killed or injured by autonomous driving, but we forget that there are a substantial number of people who are killed or injured by inattentive drivers.

Food for thought:

A railroad worker was just killed in a CSX rail yard in Ohio by a remote-controlled train. This is the third such incident to happen in the US. The railroads have been pushing to go to driverless locomotives for several years.

Now think about those driverless trucks plowing into a school bus full of kids. It's gonna happen, folks.
We had a semi drive into a school bus up in Canada, killing a large number of young hockey players. The semi driver blew through a stop sign.

We had a semi drive into a school bus up in Canada, killing a large number of young hockey players. The semi driver blew through a stop sign.
And the opposite more recently, where a bus full of seniors crossed in front of a transport truck in Manitoba. At least 17 dead as a result.

We shouldn't place blind faith in autonomy, but to say there is room for improvement over the performance of human drivers is an understatement.

I think I would feel safer. No phones or GUI's for drivers to play with.

How about someone who just smoke a joint or downed a bottle of vodka driving behind you? Not sure it there is any safe full proof way to avoid accidents. For the nervous, yes, let’s put a driver in place at the beginning, but that driver will eventually be on his smart phone.
Another logical falacy...

A computer that "thinks" a pedestrian with a bicycle is a trash bag is another issue that cannot be compared to a drunk or impaired driver.

Can't use that as an argument for automation,no matter how "logical" you may think your link is.

I still feel that the OEM and the programming team are culpible if an automaton causes an incident and hurts or kills...would smarten up the process tout sweet.

What do you think and feel about it.

I would feel nervous. Very nervous. New technology. They will be working out the bugs in it, and simultaneously introducing new updates and versions for years to come. Hard pass for me.

If I was pretty sure a driverless semi was behind me, I would slow down gradually and remove myself from the situation as soon as I could do so safely. And I don't know what 'safely' would necessarily mean in this scenario. And neither do you.

Talk to me in 10 years about this. But I'll probably still feel the same.

Will the driverless trucks pay income tax and Social Security?
That's usually in the sales tax for the software / trucks, or income tax of the "owners" on the money they save.

Imagine asking when we transitioned from horses to truck whether truck owners pay income and social security tax to replace the ranchers' loss.

Another logical falacy...

A computer that "thinks" a pedestrian with a bicycle is a trash bag is another issue that cannot be compared to a drunk or impaired driver.

Can't use that as an argument for automation,no matter how "logical" you may think your link is.

I still feel that the OEM and the programming team are culpible if an automaton causes an incident and hurts or kills...would smarten up the process tout sweet.

I don't believe the final form of self driving would be camera and lidar based like today. There is a reason our roads have evolved to lane based, traffic light based, with speed limit, right of ways, minimum conditions, and banning of pedestrians in the middle of the road. Self driving eventually will be there and we will update the road with more "limits" and "rules" to protect passengers and the self driving vehicles from them. After a while they will be like another kind of vehicles that are limited to avoid collisions with human drivers or pedestrians, running on a separate time or lane instead of sharing.

We aren't there yet but it can't be worse than a lot of drivers today.

That's usually in the sales tax for the software / trucks, or income tax of the "owners" on the money they save.

Imagine asking when we transitioned from horses to truck whether truck owners pay income and social security tax to replace the ranchers' loss.

No one payed federal income tax then and Social Security didn't exist yet.

My daughter lives in Phoenix where they have driverless taxis. (I think it was Waymo) My wife and daughter have used them, but lately those vehicles make other drivers reckless. How? Other drivers know that the Waymo vehicles will always yield. So other drivers are breaking the law and the Waymos are getting stuck in traffic. Case in point: My daughter took one to a restaurant. A block away, she was stuck in traffic and finally called headquarters and told them she was getting out of the vehicle and walked the rest of the distance.

No one payed federal income tax then and Social Security didn't exist yet.
Ok then, how about ban vending machines or charge them income tax and social security because they took away store clerks jobs.

Machines don’t take social security after retirement so I don’t see how is it relevant.

Sure businesses and owners pay capital gain tax way more than income tax and sometimes avoid them, but that’s the politicians fault instead of technology.

What’s next? Banning CNC machines and computers?

"I think not worse than a truck driver who might have overworked or any other possible scenarios."
CMV crashes as a result of:
Vehicle: brake problems – 29 percent
Driver: Travelling too fast for existing conditions – 23 percent
Driver: Unfamiliar with roadway – 22 percent
Environment: Roadway problems – 20 percent
Driver: Over-the-counter drug use – 17 percent
Driver: Inadequate surveillance – 14 percent
Driver: Fatigue – 13 percent
Driver: Felt pressure from carrier – 10 percent
Driver: Illegal maneuver – 9 percent
Driver: Inattention – 9 percent
Driver: External distraction – 8 percent