How would you feel on the interstate being followed by a driverless autonomous tractor trailer

"I think not worse than a truck driver who might have overworked or any other possible scenarios."
CMV crashes as a result of:
Vehicle: brake problems – 29 percent
Driver: Travelling too fast for existing conditions – 23 percent
Driver: Unfamiliar with roadway – 22 percent
Environment: Roadway problems – 20 percent
Driver: Over-the-counter drug use – 17 percent
Driver: Inadequate surveillance – 14 percent
Driver: Fatigue – 13 percent
Driver: Felt pressure from carrier – 10 percent
Driver: Illegal maneuver – 9 percent
Driver: Inattention – 9 percent
Driver: External distraction – 8 percent
Vehicle: Tire problems – 6 percent
Driver: Following too close – 5 percent
Driver: Jackknifed – 5 percent
Vehicle: Cargo shift – 4 percent
Driver: Illness – 3 percent
Driver: Internal distraction – 2 percent
Driver: Illegal drugs – 2 percent
Driver: Alcohol – 1 percent
What does "inadequate surveillance" mean?

I don't know much about them. Are they able to tell if a tire is going bad or will it wait until it blows out?

What does "inadequate surveillance" mean?

Texting and cell use, perhaps. The carrier may have dash cams both inward and outward facing but fails to adequately audit or survey a driver. A crash occurs and that cloud footage captures the driver texting, a further look back in the cloud recordings suggested a(the) driver in need of counseling, long before the wreck. My guess.

I don't know much about them. Are they able to tell if a tire is going bad or will it wait until it blows out?
I am pretty sure it is not hard to do if they must (AI can be used for sound as well as vibration sensors), but TPMS is around and even if you have all the sensors to detect possible problem you can still have sudden damage, and need to call for help if sensor readings don't make sense.

I've seen snippets of "Duel" on two occasions and it's one bad movie I want to see all the way through.

I mean, it's gotta be bad, right?
It was made for TV but, due to its success, got a theatrical release, including an international one, after some more shooting and extending the run time to 90 minutes. It's considered a classic and I have never regretted watching it. I have seen it quite a few times. Duel was Steven Spileberg's first full-length feature. Richard Matheson wrote the script. (I am Legend, Hell House, The Shrinking Man, Now You See It, and many more novels and movie scripts, inclduinbg for The Twilight Zone).

One of the concerns I have is that although having the semi go down a divided highway is straight forward enough, what happens when it reaches the city to unload? Typically, the trucking yards have are located where trucks are required to navigate roads with stop signs and criss-cross traffic. A semi at a stop sign has to look up and down the traffic and make a decision on when to cross. How good will it be gaging the speed on the oncoming vehicles in what is almost a two dimensional image where the vehicle speed is gaged by the changing size of the vehicle image coming towards it.

I'm curious as to how the insurance industry is dealing with driverless cars and/or trucks. Are they being rated as they would a new driver or one with experience? Also, will driverless vehicles exceed the posted speed limits as does every single truck in north Jersey or will they keep up with the flow of traffic? How does a driverless vehicle pay for fuel?

Back