how well can you negotiate out dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by eljefino
Get in on a slow mover at the right time and they'll make back elsewhere what they lose.

That's the key right there.

You can attempt to negotiate all you want on a hot seller and you'll be wasting your time.

It's ALL about supply and demand.

Couldnt you just have them sell you one without those upgrades? Id imagine theyd prefer to sell u one off their lot instead, so u might be able to get a discount going that route.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Couldnt you just have them sell you one without those upgrades? Id imagine theyd prefer to sell u one off their lot instead, so u might be able to get a discount going that route.

I think the previous poster's point was that it is difficult to do what you are proposing. The dealer is highly motivated to sell you the car with all the add ons. And they'll tell you nearly anything to make sure it happens.

My point was to remind the group that the purchaser has all the power in the transaction negotiations because the purchaser holds the cash.

The problem is that people generally have a difficult time with the negotiations. Either they are not confident in their own abilities, they don't want to hurt the other party's feelings, there is some other mitigating circumstance (bad credit, immediate need, etc...), or they are not practiced in their negotiating skills. Im sure we can think of quite a few more reasons as well.

Originally Posted by Imp4

The problem is that people generally ... don't want to hurt the other party's feelings. ...

I think this is a big thing for many.
They don't want to insult the salesman or dealers feelings.
My mom was guilty of this when we went to get her car. She said something to the effect of "well they have to make money and he needs to feed his family".
I told her that they would not sell her a car at a loss (well, they may, but they will make up for it on incentives and bonus), so don't worry about that.

i asked the sales guy about that and he said the only way was to put money on a car coming in and pick it up right off the truck. its SOP to throw those things on in the prep

Originally Posted by WhyMe

i asked the sales guy about that and he said the only way was to put money on a car coming in and pick it up right off the truck. its SOP to throw those things on in the prep

It is SOP to see someone like you coming. And they think they can convince you that these add-ons are standard. And that there's no wiggle room.

And that is a lie.

WhyMe

If it's the car you love and has all the other goodies, color inside / out, options and style (IOW you have fallen in love) ... you could easily just say whats on your mind --- You don't want those items on the car therefore see no value in them.
ie; "I like the car otherwise and might be willing if to negotiate a fair car price and/or potentially pay 'cost' for those items if you can show/prove cost or I'll consider a 50% break on those line items."

The general idea most have is The Buyer wants to beat up the salesman or dealer for the best deal and dealers want to build up or retain profit through customer deals.
If not going internet, tell them you want to respect their methodology and time and expect that as well ... to get a fair deal that works for everyone.

If those cars are still rolling in, ask if you can snag one off the carrier before it goes to prep and the add on's Mop and Glo shine etc...

My last car deal on a pre-owned was an Infiniti 2+2 coupe. I was within $1200 to $2000 of where I wanted to be and they knew me and dealt with me on 5 previous deals through the years. A nearby store had a silver automatic, I liked this one as deeper graphite color and a 6 m/t. * I did not announce that. This is your leverage.
They only knew I was shopping two very similar cars. I told them the numbers had to move closer to my liking and I said a simple calculation of the mileage to value that the other car equated to as better would be a match if we came in at $1600 less. That would close it for me and we did the math showing what I stated. Done !
I was fair and measured about the process and kept my word with no tricky stuff by them or me. They knew I was 'in the business' years before and had played it straight in the days when internet sales was the new big thing. Keep everything logical , no squirrely left-brain stuff !

On my latest new car deal, not much wiggle room on an outgoing '17 to new 18's coming in.
Already $5000 off msrp and exactly what I wanted, I waited til F&I and knew they would push for extra warranty add. The 17 had a 3/5 and the 18's went longer , maybe 7/70k or something. Thing is, its the same car, motor and everything so I pretended to be very pleased. The same car and motor I was getting was as good as the 7/70 - simply proving to me there was no reason buy extra.
Then I told them if I consider this car will be mine for 6 - 10 years, what might they offer for an incentive to get extra long coverage ? I ended up getting 10/100 coverage for a very fair cost and I really did want that piece of mind.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I was taught that the less you say the better. Sales people don't like silent customers.

That helps too. I go in with the I'm not really impressed attitude. I remember test driving an FJ Cruiser. During the drive I asked the salesman what are these going for. He made a fatal mistake when he told me they sell for over sticker price. After the test drive I told my wife to watch how I handled him. His next mistake was asking if I was ready to buy it today. Straight faced I told him he insulted me telling me an FJ Cruiser sold for over sticker, then I turned and walked away. He followed me, and I told him he'd be better off taking another up, I was done with him. High volume dealerships are high pressure dealerships, they often take people for fools.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I remember test driving an FJ Cruiser. During the drive I asked the salesman what are these going for. He made a fatal mistake when he told me they sell for over sticker price. After the test drive I told my wife to watch how I handled him. His next mistake was asking if I was ready to buy it today. Straight faced I told him he insulted me telling me an FJ Cruiser sold for over sticker, then I turned and walked away. He followed me, and I told him he'd be better off taking another up, I was done with him. High volume dealerships are high pressure dealerships, they often take people for fools.

It's amazing how some in the industry make such simple errors.
The reason they had one or more FJ's to test drive proves they are not selling that strong even IF some paid over sticker.
No matter what someone else pays for something, that's certainly not the rule of thumb to go by and if that's the sales persons pitch, they'll be short lived if on commission earnings.
I do recall a time the new intro'd VW Bug was a hot item in various locales. People settled for making a list of a few color choices they accept and not necessarily getting the first choice. Maybe the Prius too 'back in the day'. Not sure what the street price was on either though if at or near MSRP or dealing from there.
Jeep Wranglers were hot in the early 90's too. At least short supply in some areas. It kinda bites to be all wrapped up on the hot item that is selling strong at a given time.
Leverage and options versus supply and demand, usually predicable results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back