Dealers proclaiming they don’t do ADM

I bought a used Lexus from a Toyota dealer a few years ago. They had a paint protection coating that they were trying to charge me $1199 for. I told them no thanks and they were like, "But it's already on the car." I told them to take the protection coating off then. Surprisingly they let me have it free.

No, it's not. It's unchecked demand driving unnecessary inflation and greedy opportunism. You're just assuming and making sweeping generalizations. Honestly and seriously, I do not value such rhetoric.

While I wholeheartedly agree that the current inflation is unnecessary, it sure isn't caused by "unchecked demand".
It is mostly the results of policy decisions by our government with a tiny percentage caused by supply chain issues which in most cases were pandemic related.

Unnecessary is the understatement of the century.

All dealers are scum not worthy of respect. This URL doesn't exist.
There is a webpage put together by guys who are/were looking to buy the new Tundra-that listed dealers and their markups. It included other models as well. I can't remember the address either-but I looked at it once or twice.

I bought a used Lexus from a Toyota dealer a few years ago. They had a paint protection coating that they were trying to charge me $1199 for. I told them no thanks and they were like, "But it's already on the car." I told them to take the protection coating off then. Surprisingly they let me have it free.

The coating came off the first time the car got rained on.

There is a webpage put together by guys who are/were looking to buy the new Tundra-that listed dealers and their markups. It included other models as well. I can't remember the address either-but I looked at it once or twice.
Here is one such type of website which shows different dealers, different vehicles, and the mark ups or none if that is the case.

Dealer Mark Ups

When my son bought his 2013 F150 brand new it had a spray on bed liner that added $500 to the truck.
He did not care he said the truck was $50K whats another $500?
He really wanted that truck.
He still has it with 50K miles on it.
I was looking at a Challenger with the Hellcat engine a few years ago. The dealer wanted a $10,000.00 markup and wouldn't budge. I won't pay list price for a vehicle so I walked. If the drones didn't buy the vehicles the add charges would end.

You can still get away with it now too, albeit less supply. It's still dealer-added markup items that are optional.
Yes , you can tell a dealer anything you want . Don't expect it to carry the same weight that it did when dealers were flush with inventory and hustling for sales . Buyers are in a very bad position right now . Go ahead a bow up on a dealer and see if he's intimidated by you .

The car buying public has been getting away with too much for too long. Sorry that the ingrates will need to start ponying up and paying the man for all those big discounts and other promotions they have been allowing you to have in years past. You took MSRP for granted and now you'll be lucky to pay that on a new vehicle. The pendulum has swung...

The JLR dealer in my area is adding a $10,000 markup on Jaguars and up to a $25,000 markup on Land Rover models. That's quite a change from a year ago when my Jaguar had a $10,000 rebate for cash or 0% financing for up to 60 months. The same car today would cost me 20% more and it already cost as much as my first house !

The salesman told me that they are selling Land Rovers as fast as they get them and had sold about 100 in the last few months. They are located in a very affluent area and I guess the money means very little to their clientele.

All dealers are scum not worthy of respect. This URL doesn't exist.
Not really I have been buying cars for over 60 years and spent 5 years selling them.
Yeah there are a lot of bad and shady dealers around just as there is in other businesses.
I have bought 3 cars from the same dealer and have always been treated good.
I would not hesitate buying a 4th one or sending a friend or family member there.
The dealer is family owned and they have been in business here since the 1960's.

Yes , you can tell a dealer anything you want . Don't expect it to carry the same weight that it did when dealers were flush with inventory and hustling for sales . Buyers are in a very bad position right now . Go ahead a bow up on a dealer and see if he's intimidated by you .
No one said anything about “bowing up on a dealer.” It’s a simple concept. If they won’t budge, another dealer will or another dealer may not have the markups as well. It’s a two-way street.

Folks stay on topic, keep the talking points and ranting to yourselves.

If we have to moderate this again, posting privileges may be affected for some.

The JLR dealer in my area is adding a $10,000 markup on Jaguars and up to a $25,000 markup on Land Rover models. That's quite a change from a year ago when my Jaguar had a $10,000 rebate for cash or 0% financing for up to 60 months. The same car today would cost me 20% more and it already cost as much as my first house !

The salesman told me that they are selling Land Rovers as fast as they get them and had sold about 100 in the last few months. They are located in a very affluent area and I guess the money means very little to their clientele.
As does repair costs.

While I wholeheartedly agree that the current inflation is unnecessary, it sure isn't caused by "unchecked demand".
It is mostly the results of policy decisions by our government with a tiny percentage caused by supply chain issues which in most cases were pandemic related.

Unnecessary is the understatement of the century.

Yes, it is unchecked demand pushed by financially immature buyers, extremely opportunistic greed and a large percentage caused by supply chain issues, which I manage on a daily basis.

I'd recommend keeping politically biased "opinions" in their respective tribes of followers where it is most likely to be reinforced.

Last edited:
Yes, it is unchecked demand pushed by financially immature buyers, extremely opportunistic greed and a large percentage caused by supply chain issues, which I manage on a daily basis.

I'd recommend keeping politically biased "opinions" in their respective tribes of followers where it is most likely to be reinforced.
That's the excuse on here for those who drive "Beaters". They are more "financially mature". I would like a little more detail on your "extremely opportunistic greed" comment. On your third point we agree.

That's the excuse on here for those who drive "Beaters". They are more "financially mature". I would like a little more detail on your "extremely opportunistic greed" comment. On your third point we agree.

You're just assuming and making sweeping generalizations. Honestly and seriously, I do not value such rhetoric.

The coating came off the first time the car got rained on.
Yep, it’s just glorified basic wax. Even Turtle Wax would work better.

We charged $2K for paint & fab. No one bothered to even come back to get their bottles refilled, let alone used the “polish” after washing as required.

Back