How to Hold Spark Plug in Socket?

Have all the tools to change the deep set plugs in the E300 but the socket that fits the plugs doe not have a rubber insert to hold the plug while removing & inserting. Are there any tips on how to manage this? This will likely be a one time job for me so I'd just as soon not buy a special socket.

Have all the tools to change the deep set plugs in the E300 but the socket that fits the plugs doe not have a rubber insert to hold the plug while removing & inserting. Are there any tips on how to manage this? This will likely be a one time job for me so I'd just as soon not buy a special socket.
little bit of masking tape on the edge of the plug... and tape the socket to the extension so it won't fall off the socket when you try to remove it from the plug....... that is all it takes.

little bit of masking tape on the edge of the plug... and tape the socket to the extension so it won't fall off the socket when you try to remove it from the plug....... that is all it takes.
I put the masking tape on the inside of the socket so it is not left on the plug when finished. It takes a bit of finesse to get the tape just right to hold the plug, but release to extract the socket. You don't want the plug to fall off during insertion and possibly damage the electrode tip. Macgyver would be proud of us.

Use only OE dealer spark plugs on this engine.
Indexing matters. You risk misfires with aftermarket on your engine.

3/8” fuel hose on the insulator works well for many reasons - it holds the plug and then slips off, it allows you to reach what you can’t reach with your fingers, and you can’t apply enough torque to goober up the threads.

I forget what size it was but I cut a length of fuel hose and shoved that into the spark plug socket (the rubber "grommet" went missing).

That socket is still floating around someplace.

I use a piece of paper towel between the plug and socket to add some friction. If the paper stays in the well, a toot of compressed air blows it out.

I have magnetic plug sockets they work great. Finger tighten so I know the plug isn't cross threading, finish with a wrench. I also use this which comes in very handy with the #1 plug on my 4.9L E-150.
shopping

Of course, if you want the ultimate tool for this job, and I know what you said, here is my recommendation:

Of course, if you want the ultimate tool for this job, and I know what you said, here is my recommendation:
I second the recommendation. I have these. Not cheap, but very nice, and work very well

All my spark plug sockets are magnetic after the hassles of rubber inserts. I also have the ones on a swivel for BMW and similar that the plugs are angled in - using a regular socket on those will crack the plugs so make sure your MB is straight shot down and not angled or you will need the special socket.

Back