How reliable is windshield replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Originally Posted By: grampi
The only thing Safelite is good for is coming to you for the windshield replacement...they are convenient...

Replacement is a good as the tech who is doing it. I've had them do work before and had no issues with them. That's not to say my experience will be the same this time around. On the other hand I recall having a windshield replaced by JN Phillips who tout themselves as one of the industry leaders (at least in New England) and couldn't believe the hack job they did on my wife's Vue. Gobs of sealant pile at the bottom dash

Luck of the draw sometimes

A good installer can't compensate for a poor quality windshield...

Originally Posted By: grampi

A good installer can't compensate for a poor quality windshield...

When I had Safelite replace my parent's windshield, the installer told me he hates XYG glass with a passion, and when he gets a PGW or Pilkington for a job, he's gonna have a good day.

But PGW is now technically two companies. The OEM side is a division of Vitro who bought out the glass business from PPG(PGW was the automotive glass arm of PPG) - PPG is effectively out of the glass market. Which is ironic since the G in PPG stood for glass. The aftermarket ARG side of PGW is LKQ.

I visited the local Safelite and spoke with one of guys there. He looked at my car and said it was a pretty simple job to do on the Civic. He even said he probably wouldn’t touch the gasket given how new the car was. When I asked about OEM versus aftermarket he said he has seen defective windshields in both. He also explained that either windshield was not going to be as durable as a car say 5 to 10 years ago due to these cars being engineered to try to get every last mile per gallon as possible In other words the glass is going to be a lot lighter than an older car. Make sense.

Why would the aftermarket glass that Safelite uses be any different than independent shop that uses aftermarket glass? If I understand what I’ve read and some of the comments Safelite no longer makes their own glass? Wouldn’t an independent shop and Safelite be purchasing from the same pool?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Why would the aftermarket glass that Safelite uses be any different than independent shop that uses aftermarket glass? If I understand what I’ve read and some of the comments Safelite no longer makes their own glass? Wouldn’t an independent shop and Safelite be purchasing from the same pool?
Large corporation trying to pinch every penny because when you replace that many windshields, it all adds up. When is a local business, it doesn't make as big of a difference.

I like to use local glass companies. Here in Phoenix I use Blue Chip glass repair, they're rated #1 on Yelp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back