How reliable is windshield replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM quality glass from a company that is an OE supplier (Pilkington, PPG/PGW, Carlite, Fuyao/FYG,etc) will not bring down the value of the car. Any of them will be just as good as what came with the car brand new and may very well be the exact same but without the Honda logo.

OEE glass like Safelite*, XYG/Xinyi may bring down the value a bit.

*NOTE - Just because you're having Safelite install it doesn't always mean they'll use their Safelite glass. Sometimes they use Fuyao, and you can also request OEM glass by simply calling them prior to the install
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
This is about my 2013 Honda Civic, 63, it has 63,400 miles on it now. I was driving down the road today minding my own business, going about 55, a rock flew up and put a starburst chip about the diameter of a quarter in the top left corner of my windshield. About 30 seconds later a crack formed from out of the center of the glass, about 4 inches long. By the time I got home the crack about doubled in length. Safelite is coming out on Friday to replace the glass, I am just wondering how good/reliable is a windshield replacement nowadays? I wonder about leaks, also wonder if it will bring down the value of the car without the OE glass. Any help/others' experiences is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back when we had an 04 civic that needed the windshield I told the dealer I wanted Honda glass. The cost was prohibitive, but he informed me that PPG is the OEM supplier for honda. The only difference was the logo on the window.

I refuse to put a Chinese made windshield in a car of mine. Go PPG and you will be happy.

The plus side (everything has a plus side right?...Kinda?) Is that a new windshield is like driving a new car again.

Safelite is coming out on Friday to replace the glass

I am just wondering how good/reliable is a windshield replacement nowadays?

You would be surprised how many people come into my shop with gaping rust holes in their roof because a careless glass tech scratched the paint. I can think of ONE time that the shop which damaged the car was any shop other than Safelite.

Had the windshield replaced in the RAV, indie place assured me FUYAO as good as OEM, not. Distortion all along bottom and top edge. They didn't get the trim on just right either so no way am i going back. Next time OEM only.

All of it is only as good as the person doing the install.I've seen a lot of hacks doing windshields that have no business doing them.

It took three tries by Safelite and three different windshields to get it in straight with even gaps to the car frame. Three "technicians" and no metric tools to remove the wipers. Broken clips. Loose moldings and schmutz smeared on the A pillar. Fingerprint dirt in the interior. I will NEVER use Safelite again or allow my insurance company to use Safelite.

Thanks again for all your replies. By law here in Florida a cracked windshield replacement is free if you have full coverage insurance and is not to be counted as a claim against your insurance. I have my doubts about it not being counted as a claim, I am sure some bean counter insurance gestapo officer somewhere keeps track of all claims, glass or otherwise so it can be used as justification for higher rates.

Unfortunately, I am stuck using Safelite. We have Geico insurance and Safelite is the glass replacement outfit they use. I may try to request OE glass, but when I called Safelite today no one answered the phone. Their robo-answering service directed me to either make a claim online or be transferred directly to Geico. Maybe their web site has an email contact. TBH I am more worried about the gecko finding some way to use this glass claim to jack our rate even higher than it already is.

Edit: No email contact on the Safelite web site. It tells me to contact Geico for any questions or concerns with the replacement procedure. I sent a message on the Geico web site asking for OEM glass to be used. If they don't respond by noon tomorrow I will have to call Geico again.

Second edit: I just got an email reply from Geico stating they only provide for like kind and quality glass to be used and if I want OEM glass I have to pay the difference. To me that is typical insurance bovine excrement; I have a claim, it was through no fault of my own and the stupid ridiculously high-priced "insurance" that I pay every month wants to use less than OEM replacement glass when my OEM windshield is cracked due to no fault of my own, other than I was unlucky enough to be driving while a rock was sailing down the road. Maybe that is the gecko's idea of "making me whole". I disagree.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I had my windshield replaced this past December and many of you would be SHOCKED at how much the business has changed in just the past 3 years.

- Safelight no longer manufactures their own glass, so you can take that variable out of the equation. https://www.glassbytes.com/2016/08/safel...-manufacturing/

- Many of the recognized names are sourcing glass from China:
http://www.cprautoglassrepair.com/ppg-auto-glass/
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/229232-did-i-get-pilkington-windshield-2.html

"It's possible that they did infact order a Pelkington. I had mine replaced a few months ago and requested a Pilkington. I looked up the DOT # on the windshield and its a DOT563. I complained and they said Pilkington makes a lot in China now. He even showed me his invoice and it is straight from Pilkington.

- Some of today's car models can have a dozen or more OEM glass variations available.

- Cars with "driver enhancements"/windshield sensors (i.e., auto braking) need to be recalibrated to the new windshield. It sounds like a real pain for the independent glass installers to keep up with the software needed.

I prefer to take my vehicles to a shop vs. a mobile installer. It just seems that a shop environment is more worker friendly with a higher chance of a good install. Safelight had a horrible reputation on the autoglass professional forums just a few years ago. I'm not sure what the current status is.

My initial estimate from Safelight was about $50 dollars more than everyone else. About every three days I would get an email from Safelight offering first 5% off, then 10%, etc.. Pretty soon, they matched the other's estimates. That was about a month after I had someone else do the work.

Glass replacement is difficult now-a-days. Most mom&pop shops have been absorbed by chains. Glass manufacturing is turning to China - it "seems" that China has increased quality a lot per the forums I occasionally visit.

Unfortunately, I am stuck using Safelite. We have Geico insurance and Safelite is the glass replacement outfit they use.

Yeah that's unfortunate. I'd ask what the OEM upcharge would be. With the money you save with Geico you might be even.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
I've had numerous windshields replaced over the years and none have leaked nor were there any problems.

Tell Safelite you want OE glass...they'll use it. Had the same thing when I replaced an F150 windshield.

Same … lots of gravel trucks around here … most often not the 18 wheeler tire generating centripetal force… it’s the rock they leak and kicked up by a faster vehicle …

I always use the same place … not something to start a new learning curve on …

If you have the full insurance glass coverage, let the insurer send a replacement outfit (it was safelight with my insurer) to install a new windshield. If they mess it up, let the insurer have someone fix it, you are paying for that coverage. If a lower quality glass cracks again, it is the insurer's responsibility to replace again.

Mine went fine, in general most used car purchasers don't concern themselves with whether or not the windshield is OEM or not. BITGOG posters are not the typical used car purchaser. Most people selling cars are not going to listen to someone saying "the windshield isn't OEM, I am going to deduct another $1,000 from my offer".

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

*NOTE - Just because you're having Safelite install it doesn't always mean they'll use their Safelite glass. Sometimes they use Fuyao, and you can also request OEM glass by simply calling them prior to the install
smile.gif

Safelite doesn't make glass anymore. From what the installer told me, they use mostly FYG these days but if they get a Pilkington he's gonna have a good day.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Safelite doesn't make glass anymore. From what the installer told me, they use mostly FYG these days but if they get a Pilkington he's gonna have a good day.

FYG is good stuff. You will not be disappointed
thumbsup2.gif

Well it turns I don't get to find out about Safelite just yet. Someone from Safelite called me this morning and said the glass tech they were sending to my house had a wreck and had been sent to the hospital to be checked out. They said he was OK but the windshield he had in his van for my Honda was shattered in the accident. The important thing is he was not hurt. I don't drive the car much now that I work at home anyway so I don't mind waiting a few more days. We had a couple of really bad thunderstorms move through here today too, and even working in my garage probably would not have been good for him or anyone else. I rescheduled with Safelite for next Wednesday. Will see how it goes that day.

Well it turns I don't get to find out about Safelite just yet. Someone from Safelite called me this morning and said the glass tech they were sending to my house had a wreck and had been sent to the hospital to be checked out. They said he was OK but the windshield he had in his van for my Honda was shattered in the accident. The important thing is he was not hurt. I don't drive the car much now that I work at home anyway so I don't mind waiting a few more days. We had a couple of really bad thunderstorms move through here today too, and even working in my garage probably would not have been good for him or anyone else. I rescheduled with Safelite for next Wednesday. Will see how it goes that day.

How did the install go?

My brand new Civic Hatchback with less than 1K on the clock picked up a pebble the other day and the crack looks like the Missouri River heading south.

I also have Geico and Safelite will probably be the ones I use. Did they put in OEM glass?

I'm going to push Geico for OE glass given the age of the car (literally a week to the day when it cracked) Label on shield says it is a Plinkington

I took am a little worried about the trim, increased wind noise etc. Brand new car I tend to eagle eye stuff like that more than a car with some miles on it. I'll be bringing it in to the shop rather than a mobile visit.

Interested how things went

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

How did the install go?

My brand new Civic Hatchback with less than 1K on the clock picked up a pebble the other day and the crack looks like the Missouri River heading south.

I also have Geico and Safelite will probably be the ones I use. Did they put in OEM glass?

I'm going to push Geico for OE glass given the age of the car (literally a week to the day when it cracked) Label on shield says it is a Plinkington

I took am a little worried about the trim, increased wind noise etc. Brand new car I tend to eagle eye stuff like that more than a car with some miles on it. I'll be bringing it in to the shop rather than a mobile visit.

Interested how things went
Geico are such cheapskates when it comes to glass replacement.

We just jumped through their hoops getting my grandpa's windshield replaced in his Grand Cherokee. We called the glass company, who had to contact Geico. Geico called my grandpa and asked him when it happened, where it happened, who was driving, where was he during the incident, what caused the crack in the windshield, where the crack is in the windshield, how big it is, etc.

Then they had to send out someone to check to make sure the windshield was actually cracked. This whole process took forever to get done.

My mom called the next week the same exact glass company to replace her windshield in her Jeep through Progressive. She called at 4pm, the next morning they put in a new windshield.

Progressive didn't bat an eye when my wife's 4 month old Equinox sustained rock damage. It did take the dealer about 2.5 weeks to get a new one in. It's labeled PGW and looks good (no waves).

The only thing Safelite is good for is coming to you for the windshield replacement...they are convenient...

Originally Posted By: grampi
The only thing Safelite is good for is coming to you for the windshield replacement...they are convenient...

Replacement is a good as the tech who is doing it. I've had them do work before and had no issues with them. That's not to say my experience will be the same this time around. On the other hand I recall having a windshield replaced by JN Phillips who tout themselves as one of the industry leaders (at least in New England) and couldn't believe the hack job they did on my wife's Vue. Gobs of sealant pile at the bottom dash

Luck of the draw sometimes

Like said, it's mostly about the installation, but quality of the glass is important too.

I've personally seen some serious hack jobs Safelite has done to people. Breaking clips, cowlings, etc.. and black siliconing them back together. I realize you can't blast ALL Safelite shops. I'm sure there's good ones out there, but you won't see me using them unless I absolutely have to.

I like using good mom/pop glass shops. They'll order what you want and do a great job installing it. I had a problem with the glass cracking near the heating element on the heated w/s on my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek. The factory one cracked that way, as did the pilkington replacement. My indy glass shop ordered me another brand and replaced it N/C. I don't recall what that brand was though..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back