How often you replace furnace air filter?

Here's another post on Furnace Filters.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4530062/1

To save money, I heat my house in the Summer and air condition it in the Winter.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
I put in a new one when Spring moves into Summer (April in Texas), again in July, and again when it starts to cool off (October), and let that one go until the following April. The furnace doesn't run nearly as much as the A/C, which is why the filter schedule is so skewed.

I check mine monthly and replace as needed. Usually every 2 months. (I have 2 small dogs, and a lot of air pollution in my area).

We use the 3M Merv 11 Filters (Red). Have had no issues with them being too restrictive in the 13+ years we've been in the house. I will note that we have a 24 year old 80% furnace and a/c to match. Living on borrowed time...

We change them every 2 months in the winter (roughly November to Mid -April), and once after the summer season going into winter. Living in Minnesota, the heat runs a lot in the winter, and we use the A/C only on demand for about 15 days of the summer. The biggest benefit we see using the more restrictive filters is less dust movement. Anyone with forced air knows...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Once a month. Small filter with floor level intake, low humidity no carpet and 2 dogs. Definite difference in air volume.

x2 with a dog.

I had a Trane " clean effects " electronic air cleaner installed in my HVAC system 12 years ago. I haven't bought a filter since.

My furnace uses a 14x20x1 filter... I buy the ultimate $20 a filter Filtrete ones and change it once a month. It seems to help my sons asthma.

I know I answered this already when it was first posted, but since then I've moved into a new house and I checked it at about the 6 month mark and it was plugged up pretty good, I should have checked it much sooner! I am sure it was due to it being a new home with all the construction kicking up lots of dust, so I'm sure I'll be fine to go back to changing it once a year (but I will check it every few months to be safe)

Originally Posted by Patman
I know I answered this already when it was first posted, but since then I've moved into a new house and I checked it at about the 6 month mark and it was plugged up pretty good, I should have checked it much sooner! I am sure it was due to it being a new home with all the construction kicking up lots of dust, so I'm sure I'll be fine to go back to changing it once a year (but I will check it every few months to be safe)

Pat, you can get a meter on Amazon for $20 and take a measurement at one of your air vents with a new filter and then monitor it this way so that you replace when it's needed and not visually dirty.
smile.gif

https://www.amazon.ca/Proster-Anemometers-Thermometer-Backlight-Windsurfing/dp/B00KYL3VNS/

It's the equivalent of running your oil filter for multiple changes.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I use 3m Filtrate 16x25x1 and change every 2 months.
I got a new ac/heat unit last yr and the tech said do Not use expensive filters.
Just get cheap ones and change when needed.
He even said the green glass ones are good enough.

I use the red 3M or red Filtrete pleated and replace when my Nest thermostat tells me it is time - I think the Nest is just on an hour counter and it seems to be ~1x per year in my usage patterns. Even replacing by the nest schedule the filter is just a dark beige/brown color vs when new, definitely not loaded by any means. Just as a side note my intake is ceiling mounted so probably does not capture a bunch of dust/hair/etc. that a lower mounted filter would.

Last edited:
Back