How often you replace furnace air filter?

I check it every 3 months and see if it needs replacing. During winter furnance is used more. During Summer the AC won't be on all the time. Could probably go 6 months during the summer.

If your return ducts are correctly sized or oversized then there is little risk to running the filters until they are just caked.

But most homes seem to have an undersized return area and filter restriction can cause blower motor burn out.

Changing the filter is preventive maintenance for your furnace. Alot of furnace problems are caused by a dirty filter. Change it every 3 months.

I have an American Standard furnace installed new in 2008, it has an electrostatic air cleaners and also uses a permanent filter that you just vacuum out or spray down with water every 30-60 days or more if indicator light goes from green to red. Before 08 we had an old "night and Day" furnace that used disposable filters and it was every 90 days to replace filter . Nice to not have to buy furnace filters anymore.

Once a month in the summer, dusty desert here and A/C running all the time to battle 110+ degree heat.

In the winter probably every 2 months.

I use fiberglass cheap filters in the summer for maximum flow and pleated cheap ones in the winter for the dust.

We replace ours every 3 months during the heating season. We don't use our cooling system very much so a filter goes for 6 months over the summer.

By the way, I suggest you do a bit of reading about filters. The well known name brand is far from the best value.

The name brand "300 performance rating" filter is only a MERV 6. They cost $8.99 each locally for a 16"x 20"x 1". The name brand "1000 performance rating" filters are about a MERV 11 and sell for $17.89 to $19.99 each for the same size.

MERV 8 - 11 is considered adequate for most homes.

I can get "other brand" MERV 8 filters (ie adequate for most homes and better filtration than MERV 6) 2 for $9.99. And that's what I use.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
We replace ours every 3 months during the heating season. We don't use our cooling system very much so a filter goes for 6 months over the summer.

By the way, I suggest you do a bit of reading about filters. The well known name brand is far from the best value.

The name brand "300 performance rating" filter is only a MERV 6. They cost $8.99 each locally for a 16"x 20"x 1". The name brand "1000 performance rating" filters are about a MERV 11 and sell for $17.89 to $19.99 each for the same size.

MERV 8 - 11 is considered adequate for most homes.

I can get "other brand" MERV 8 filters (ie adequate for most homes and better filtration than MERV 6) 2 for $9.99. And that's what I use.

Two separate technicians have told us not to use the more expensive filters that are too restrictive (that impede air flow too much). We used one of these more expensive filters one time during the summer and the inside unit started getting ice on it the same day that we installed the filter. A technician told us it was the air filter causing the problem. (And he checked the freon level, and it was fine.) So, we went back to the kind we have always used for years (the less expensive ones at the lower end of the filtration/merv scale) ... and the problem was solved (no more freezing up on the inside unit). The tech said that he has seen this problem time and time again, and every time it is a restrictive air filter which filters too well that is causing the problem.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Once a year here. 16x20x1 size. I use the high-end Filtrete filters.

Once a year?..... is that including summer's central Air? Or is Cedarbrae, Ontario near Santa's home?

My brother is an heating AC tech and has said that also that it is better to change a cheap filter more often rather than use those high merv filters as they are too restrictive and will cause issues. If one wants to filter and clean the air the air better, buy some air purifiers that have HEPA filters, do not depend on a furnace filter to clean all of the air in the house.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
My brother is an heating AC tech and has said that also that it is better to change a cheap filter more often rather than use those high merv filters as they are too restrictive and will cause issues. If one wants to filter and clean the air the air better, buy some air purifiers that have HEPA filters, do not depend on a furnace filter to clean all of the air in the house.

That's what I have been reading and doing from last few years, by using those cheap green fiberglass filters and changing them often.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Once a year here. 16x20x1 size. I use the high-end Filtrete filters.

Once a year?..... is that including summer's central Air? Or is Cedarbrae, Ontario near Santa's home?

No central air in this house. So, the filter is only used in the wintertime.

Back