How often do you check your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before a trip of any length over an hour and every week at least
smile.gif

I check once a week for my Jeep and my family's vehicles. Easy enough to pop all the hoods in the garage and have a look to make sure things are good. I usually don't have to add any.

If I'm running outdoor power equipment or farm equipment I check it before each use. Some are old and need the oil kept up with. For farm equipment I usually give it a quick pre-op check for oil, hydraulic fluid, anti-freeze, tires, etc. Once on the backhoe I found the hydraulic fluid to be quite low and a leaking hydraulic line.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Rarely for me. Maybe once every month or two.

Never. The car tells me when the level is low (at about 5k into the 10k OCI).

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Almost every time I start the car.

My car runs an oil level check when I turn the ignition on. It takes about 5 seconds so usually I let it run before starting the car.

Cool, what kind of car?

My '03 Carrera

Every fill-up. Neither of our cars need to be topped up, but it takes me as long to check everything as it does to fill the tank, so there's no loss.

That way I know everything is full, and no surprises.

That said, I check the Buick 3-4 times a month, and the dodge about once.

The rogue doesn't burn oil so maybe every 3 weeks. I do it at work COLD after work in the PM. Just popo the hood pull the stick ALMOST out and check.

If you think about it, checking oi level
is probably the WORSE thing you can do to a car that is historically known to NOT burn oil.

Very easy to introduce a few gains of sand into the dip tube just pulling the stick a few MM up.

Must be a syndrome.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The rogue doesn't burn oil so maybe every 3 weeks. I do it at work COLD after work in the PM. Just popo the hood pull the stick ALMOST out and check.

is probably the WORSE thing you can do to a car that is historically known to NOT burn oil.

Very easy to introduce a few gains of sand into the dip tube just pulling the stick a few MM up.

Must be a syndrome.

Yeah maybe if you check it during a sand storm in the desert or your engine bay is full of dirt. Otherwise I doubt it would be an issue.

I changed the oil on my car last month about 1,400 miles ago. Still haven't checked it. As in, I didn't check it after changing it. Just poured in 5 quarts. I might check it later this week. Not too worried about it.

Once a month or so. I should check on Sat mornings, just part of a routine (tires, oil, washer fluid) but, knock on wood, no issues. If any start down that path I'll just adjust what I do. [Once a month is about every 2kmiles on the Camry's.]

Check the wife's car weekly, since the newer Foresters like hers tend to burn oil. Even with 77k miles on hers, it still uses less than a qt per 7k interval, but it has me paranoid.

My other vehicles only get checked a few times a year because they accumulate only a few k miles yearly if that, and don't burn/leak any oil.

Check all fluid levels every Sunday morning. Also check/adjust tire pressures and lights. Even with this weekly check, I ended up with one stop light bulb out on an out of town trip. Pulled up to grave sight in cemetery with sister-in-law stopping behind us. She told me about stop light being out. Kept my fingers crossed for the sixty five mile trip home. Purchased package of two bulbs so I have one ready to install when needed.

After the OC and again at the 5k mark when I change. Always ends up exactly 1/2 way between cold and hot. It holds 6.5 quarts at the full line. She's a solid old beast.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Must be a syndrome.

lol what?

Every 1000 miles (along with all the other fluids & air filter minder).
That can vary from 2 months to 2 days (on a road trip) time-wise.
Engine doesn't use any noticeable amount of oil over a 5,000 mile OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back