How Often Do You Change Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped changing them long ago, and only do when they stop working. Had a situation when with 10K mi on plugs I changed them. I cleaned and gapped them and tested them on a tester that had a meter that read Good, Fair, and Poor. They were in the poor zone. With about 1K mi on the new plugs I decided to pull them and see how they looked. I had had a problem with the heat range on the ones that came with the new car, and wanted to see how it looked like they were working. I cleaned and gapped them and tested them on the tester, and they read the same as the 10K mi old plugs. Anytime I couldn't figure a rough idle or anything I thought might be plugs and changed them, it never solved the problem.

Originally Posted By: VinceF
I stopped changing them long ago, and only do when they stop working. Had a situation when with 10K mi on plugs I changed them. I cleaned and gapped them and tested them on a tester that had a meter that read Good, Fair, and Poor. They were in the poor zone. With about 1K mi on the new plugs I decided to pull them and see how they looked. I had had a problem with the heat range on the ones that came with the new car, and wanted to see how it looked like they were working. I cleaned and gapped them and tested them on the tester, and they read the same as the 10K mi old plugs. Anytime I couldn't figure a rough idle or anything I thought might be plugs and changed them, it never solved the problem.

Depends what kind of plugs you have. I use platinum which is what came with the car. They were supposed to good for 100k, I think I changed them out at 80k or so. They were a little worn when replaced and the gap had grown a little. The back 3 plugs are so hard to get at, I don't intend to change them more often. I thought gas mileage increased slightly, but that could have been in my head.

Just changed the plugs on the Fusion for the first time. The original plugs had 121K on them.

On my GTI, I will replace every 50/60K (manual says every 60). I am using Denso Iridiums. Work fine for me. My other cars will get changed at recommended intervals with NGK or Densos.

The double platinum plugs I use get changed every 60k or so. Works out to every other year on my wifes cars and about every 3 years on mine.

This is a great question that i have posted myself before, I still kinda wonder as my Honda has 92,000 and my silverado has 74,000 on the clocks.. 06 and 07 models with the factory plugs still in them. Both still run flawless.. If anything i may have noticed a slight decrease in MPG in the truck over the years but i dont want to start the finger pointing...

Our 03 Honda does nothing but short trips. At 80k the plugs still look like new.

I don't think cold starts impact plugs like they did on older cars.

I follow my owners manual and use the same manufacturer and plug #. My 127K mile WRX calls for 60K intervals which I changed them at and the plugs had plenty of life left. The new ones didn't change power or fuel economy.

I can see maybe changing plugs if the electrodes were really erroded. Had a car with dual points, and when it would start running rough I would reset them. It was a pain to change them, and new ones didn't last long before they started to pit. I could get the motor smooth just opening the gap a bit.

Had an uncle who worked for SKF and did a lot by feel or ear. When young he rebuilt the motor in a Model T. Said he used to buy cars that had a problem, and usually fix them with unusual things. Wonder what he would think of todays cars.))

OEM NGK platinum in the Elantra. Upgraded the Accent (copper) to platinum plugs as well. Clean and gap them every tire rotation (usually 15K miles). I'll use em for 60K+ before changing.

Glad I only have to buy and swap 4 of them.

Currently, the Accent improved around 2-3MPG, or around 30-40 more miles per fill up. Not bad for an additional $4 total vs copper plugs. Plus they should last twice as long as copper.

For new cars, I like to change them before the power train warranty is up. There are a few things that you could find that would be better to fix on the manufacturer's dime. A UOA would be nice to have at this time too.

For older cars, I just go with OEM recommendation.

I changed the plugs in my Jetta at 200k. My Toyota's will likely get them done at 100k, or earlier if I'm bored.

I changed them on my 2011 Focus I got a definite improvement in power.

There were hills that I could no longer climb in overdrive (pedal to the floor I would lose speed, used to be able to do it light throttle in OD) that I used to be able to in OD with light throttle. After the spark plug change, I had no problem climbing the hill in OD with light throttle again.

2001 E320 With 66000 miles Rough Idle and Shaking while stopped. Changed wires and plugs and she ran like an entirely different car! The plug were badly worn with almost no electrode left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back