How much oil have you had on your skin over the years?

thumbsup2.gif

I have a John Deere 316 lawn tractor. The reason these little beasts never rust is because oil gets everywhere when you maintain them... including on your hands.

I always use gloves and get one size up so that I can easily take off and reuse the gloves until they break. Yea I'm kind of cheap that way, but still beats getting your hands dirty. I HATE trying to scrub thick black grease off my hands.

There's only a limited amount of jobs where I go glove-less in order to be able to feel what I'm doing.

Originally Posted by andyd
Dawn dish washing soap is the best hand cleaner I've found.

No kidding. I finally got the wife to let me leave a bottle of it on the counter (bath and kitchen). I prefer it to any other kind of hand cleaner. I can't wait for it to be available again, it went out, and like a fool, I don't keep 5 bottles of it on the shelf (that's what the grocery store is for).

I know as a kid I had oil on my hands from oil changes and work on cars, but really, it was pretty infrequent. These days I try to wear gloves, and only get greasy when one tears. Zero idea how I'd quantify it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nobb
I always use gloves and get one size up so that I can easily take off and reuse the gloves until they break. Yea I'm kind of cheap that way, but still beats getting your hands dirty. I HATE trying to scrub thick black grease off my hands.

There's only a limited amount of jobs where I go glove-less in order to be able to feel what I'm doing.

Haha me too! I always reuse them till they break, I'm as cheap as they come
laugh.gif
. Scrubbing your hands over and over again to get all the oil and grease off really dries out and cracks your skin.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

laugh.gif
. Scrubbing your hands over and over again to get all the oil and grease off really dries out and cracks your skin.

I actually use them in the kitchen too, as we don't have a dishwasher and I hate having prune skin

I've always been fairly careful around used oil but invariably there have been a few times where I got more than I bargained for. I have been using nitrile or vinyl gloves for about 10 years now, mostly to make the cleanup a lot easier but also for health protection. Greasy dirt under the fingernails can be very hard to remove.

At least 3-4x per week for work and I fiddle with vehicles and oily stuff often.

I'd love to be able to function with gloves. I manage to shred rubber gloves within seconds it seems and anything thicker I loose too much dexterity.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

laugh.gif

I actually use them in the kitchen too, as we don't have a dishwasher and I hate having prune skin

I use those yellow rubber gloves that are made for dishwashing when I wash my car too.

Everyone kinda missed the point on this one. Used gasoline engine oil is carcinogenic due to benzene from gas dilution. I am sure clean oil isn't great for you but not like used gas engine oil.

Originally Posted by andyd
Dawn dish washing soap is the best hand cleaner I've found.

+1

If that doesn't work I just use some gasoline from my lawnmower cans. But this means
I have to find a safe place in the woods.

Last edited:
If it's caked oil/grease like from a u joint … WD40 will break it down ahead of the Dawn.

I make a concious effort to avoid it, but when you're working on cars day in and day out, it's always gonna happen. It's the frequency in which it happens that I try to control. So I've had a lot of oil on my skin over the years, but not near as much as others that I have worked with.

Lots. I wear gloves most of the time but oil filters still get me and oil runs down my arm as I'm unscrewing them. On big jobs if enough gloves tear (and I use 8mm thick back when you could still but gloves) after I while I'll say the heck with them and get dirty.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Careful Chris … this is Buster

But seriously....I started out working for my grandfather that owned a trucking company & we did all our own mechanical work. Do an In-Frame on a 3408 Cat & you'll be covered head-to-toe in black soot filled oil. It might have been because I was so young & didn't know any better?

Yes sir … repaired 3408 gen sets on south Texas rigs …
You only got a real mechanic out if the D399's were acting up … and as the helper you got filthy …

Back