How much is scrap going for?

I don't normally scrap metal so I may be out of the loop. Took 1060 lbs of scrap pipe in today. Took me a couple hours to load it then drive 30minutes 1 way to the scrap place only to be told that it has to be cut into 6 ft or shorter pieces.

Went back home and spend another 1.5 hrs cutting it shorter. Drove back again and spent another 1.5 hrs or so unloading it into the spots the guy directed me to.

Paid $32 and wasted most of my day off. Sound normal?

No idea. I guess call ahead first? Doesn't sound like it paid for the gas.

I guess for now, let it pile, and wait for prices to spike in the future.

Not that long ago a scrap pickup was worth 250-300 around here, now the yards are paying $35 and they offer less if the engine and trans are gone. Its literally not worth dragging anything to the yard.

clean steel scrap is .07 to .12 per lb here.
I scrap it because you dont have to pay to dispose of it.. and the shop would be floating on it by now.
otherwise its literally pennies on the dollar.
The plates cost 8-50$ per lb and you get 12 cents/lb for the pieces cut out of it.

Look at it this way at least you didnt have to pay 100$ to get rid of it. Thats what one 5x8 trailer load costs to dump.

Last edited:
The iron pile is at about a ton right now and will stay where it is until it`s over $100.00. Copper is $3.00 to $6.00 per LB and aluminum $.67. Don`t see metals improving before summer.

I have at least a ton, I’m not giving it away. I’ve noticed the garbage night scrap guys aren’t cruising around these days, the scrap doesn’t pay for the gas!

ah do you normally respond to the title without reading the post? ;)
I just figured you were hitting the bottle :ROFLMAO:.
From the randomness of it.(y)
Naw, I saw the thread title, thought of the most recent scrap on the news, and posted some peripherally related trivia. Steel scrap is not my thing, so I did a hard SKIP beyond the header. I'd probably have to take to drinking to get through this thread!

Last edited:
What exactly how are you accumulating all this scrap? I sold mine back in high times, that was a 60 year collection.

The funny part is when scrap was supposedly very expensive (talking lead copper) nobody was even buying,

Scrap hasn’t been even ok in 5 years around here

It's weird the variation in price. I figured since scrap steel copper is a world company it wouldn't be different.

Back